IBM 360 Model 40

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
      Hi - Anyone familiar with the IBM 360 Model 40?
      Bill D
      -- E N D --
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
        B Degnan wrote:
        > Hi - Anyone familiar with the IBM 360 Model 40?

        Software, yes. Hardware, no. Why? Did you find a S/360?

        If so, I'm *jealous*.

        Peace... Sridhar
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
          I have a name and phone number of a gentleman who worked with these
          systems, unsure what he has on hand. If you have any questions for
          me to relay, let me know.
          Bill

          At Monday, 13 November 2006, you wrote:

          >B Degnan wrote:
          >> Hi - Anyone familiar with the IBM 360 Model 40?
          >
          >Software, yes. Hardware, no. Why? Did you find a S/360?
          >
          >If so, I'm *jealous*.
          >
          >Peace... Sridhar
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          -- E N D --
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
            B Degnan wrote:
            > I have a name and phone number of a gentleman who worked with these
            > systems, unsure what he has on hand. If you have any questions for
            > me to relay, let me know.

            Some of the people I run into at work here on site at IBM Poughkeepsie,
            where many of the machines were made, were (surprisingly) around when
            those machines were being made. I don't know of anyone who actually
            still has any gear, though.

            Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2006
              Bill and all,

              According to "IBM Colossus in Transition" by Robert Sobel, the 360/40 was the first 360 model shipped in April, 1965. They were a medium size machine for the time (the model 30 was intended to replace the 1401 and larger models were introduced later). Here's a link to this IBM Archives entry for the 360/40 http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP2040.html.

              As part of our collection, a 360/40 would be a fabulous centerpiece of "large computers". I would consider it a static exhibit regardless of what Shridar might say. If we could get a complete 360/40 installation including DASD and a couple tape units, it would be worth doing a fund raising drive to rent a truck large enough to go get it and build a suitable place to exhibit it.

              Jim