Re: [midatlanticretro] Interesting work day at InfoAge!

  • Jeffrey Frady
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2006
      Evan wasn't allowed to paint the windows.  If he did, they'd be all white.

      Hi MARCHins,

      Today was a strange one! Kelly Leavitt, Jeff Frady, Mark Dodel, Nick Lordi,
      and yours truly all got there around 10-ish, but the hotel (main building)
      keys were hiding from us. I made a couple of phone calls to Fred Carl and
      Steve Goulart and learned about the new secret key stash. Then, some radio
      club guys showed up and managed to trip a burglar alarm. Yet another
      adventure. Finally we started working, when one of the radio guys said to
      me, "See you at the open house tomorrow!" ...... errrr ...... say what?
      Apparently the InfoAge board decided to have an open house tomorrow from
      noon to 4, but I missed the meeting because I was at VCF all week. Still it
      would've been nice to get an email or something. :) So, anyway, all are
      welcome to come visit and help me out tomorrow. Basically we'll hang out in
      our preview room and welcome people and point out cool things and press for
      donations.

      Anyway, today I focused on getting our preview room re-organized for the
      open house, and spent much time showing off Woz's business card. Kelly,
      Jeff, and Mark cleaned and painted one of our museum rooms. It'll need a
      second coat but it feels good to finally have a first coat! Nick worked on
      his EAI TR-20 analog computer and finally got it working. Mark also updated
      his OS/2 collection.

      In the afternoon, Herb Johnson came by to finish restoring the three
      pedestal displays (Kilby, Noyce, Forrester) which the patent office donated
      to InfoAge and MARCH promptly adopted. :) He put hinged doors on the front
      of each one to turn the empty bottom sections into mini-storage areas.
      Later, Tom Owad visited (three hours one way!) with a pick-up truck full of
      DEC VAX gear. He also brought us an HP-85.

      So while today was odd and at times chaotic, we actually got some important
      things accomplished, and everyone had fun. Well, Mark at least was gracious
      when I was doing more yapping and stalling than painting. :)

      Date of our next work day is to be determined....

      - Evan

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2006
        Hey, I didn't see anything masked... Next time we can try just throwing the bucket against the wall, Jackson Pollack-style.
      • madodel
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2006
          On 11/12/06 Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > So while today was odd and at times chaotic, we actually got some
          > important
          > things accomplished, and everyone had fun. Well, Mark at least was
          > gracious
          > when I was doing more yapping and stalling than painting.

          It was a good day and we did get some work done in both the preview room
          and the one room we almost finished painting. Just have to finish the top
          of the walls which we missed in the beginning. Hopefully next time we
          spend more time painting and less time looking for things, and now that we
          have an idea where things are that should be much better. When we do have
          a next time, it would be great if a couple more guys came to help with
          moving things since we will have to move things from one of the other rooms
          into this painted room to start on the next one.

          Mark

          --

          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

          Warpstock - http://www.warpstock.org