RE: [midatlanticretro] EPROM utilities

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11, 2006
      Kelly:

      Thanks. The "srec" utilities I downloaded worked but the program
      is so flexible that it's confusing to use. I ultimately got it, though.

      Rich

      Rich Cini

      Collector of classic computers

      Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

      Web site: <http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/>
      http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

      Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

      /***************************************************/

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
        Hi,

        I am looking for a half hight replacement for ovolitti
        HD in my AT&T pc6300, the seller forgot to park the
        drive before sending me the compute, needless to say
        it was hosed. Looking for something like a 40 meg if
        you guys think that the bios can handle it.

        Thanks,

        Matt
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 14, 2006
          Matt,

          Is this a PC- or AT-class machine? PC machines need a controller that is compatible with the drive. The computer BIOS are not an issue. AT-class machines (ie: 286 clones) moved the HD geometry to the system BIOS. What is the processor in this machine?

          Hopefully someone has what you need despite the thread on recycling.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
            Hey, Jim's was MARCH list message #4,500.  Cool.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
              Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286 instruction improvements).  The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit Olivetti extension.

              The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251 sized drives on the MFM controller.   I had an 80 mb drive on one once.

              Bill

              Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
              Hey, Jim's was MARCH list message #4,500.  Cool.

              Is this a PC- or AT-class machine? PC machines need a controller that is compatible with the drive. The computer BIOS are not an issue. AT-class machines (ie: 286 clones) moved the HD geometry to the system BIOS. What is the processor in this machine?

              Hopefully someone has what you need despite the thread on recycling.

              Jim

              I am looking for a half hight replacement for ovolitti
              HD in my AT&T pc6300, the seller forgot to park the
              drive before sending me the compute, needless to say
              it was hosed. Looking for something like a 40 meg if
              you guys think that the bios can handle it.

              Thanks,

              Matt

              Sponsored Link

              $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
                So you are saying that one could use an ST 412, ST225, or ST251?

                Bill

                At 05:55 PM 11/16/2006 -0800, you wrote:
                >Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286
                >instruction improvements). The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit
                >Olivetti extension.
                >
                >The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and
                >Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk
                >table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251
                >sized drives on the MFM controller. I had an 80 mb drive on one once.
                >
                >Bill
              • William Pechter
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
                  Depends upon the bios revision... With 1.2.1 it was pretty limited.  With (IIRC) 1.4.3
                  there were larger choices.  IIRC -- depending upon switch settings  -- you can use either the on-board bios table or a WD1002 controller (MFM or the RLL version)...

                  The dip switch settings determined the drive configuration.  You can set it for no drive as well (this is old memory so I may be wrong.)  Then you could use the on-board WD1002-xx roms
                  to configure the disk.  Some info is at:

                  I couldn't find anything on the quick google search.

                  Bill

                  "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
                  So you are saying that one could use an ST 412, ST225, or ST251?

                  Bill

                  At 05:55 PM 11/16/2006 -0800, you wrote:
                  >Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286
                  >instruction improvements) . The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit
                  >Olivetti extension.
                  >
                  >The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and
                  >Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk
                  >table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251
                  >sized drives on the MFM controller. I had an 80 mb drive on one once.
                  >
                  >Bill

                  Sponsored Link

                  $200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity - Click now for info

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
                    THis is making think that what I should do next is check the hd dip switches, and set to the "none" setting to see if I can bypass the harddrive and get to a prompt.    The hard drive may be preventing the boot sequence from completing.  If this were an IBM the equiv. of a 1701 error.  I have seen IBM PC's where the HD is messed up and the entire boot sequence is prevented.
                    bd

                    http://www.textfiles.com/phreak/at&tnews