RE: [midatlanticretro] EPROM utilities

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11, 2006
      Rich:
      Isn't this just a simple file I/O thing. Send me the two images. Maybe I can write something up to merge the HL pairs. Shouldn't be too hard if it is just byte mergining.

      Kelly

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 11, 2006
        Kelly:

        Thanks. The "srec" utilities I downloaded worked but the program
        is so flexible that it's confusing to use. I ultimately got it, though.

        /***************************************************/

        I seem to be having trouble locating utilities to manage split
        EPROM images. Oddly enough the EPROM programmer software I have doesn't seem
        to do it and I have low/high images I need to merge so I can decompile it. I
        downloaded "srec" from SourceForge at the suggestion of someone on
        ClassicCmp but it complains about the binary images for some reason.

        Does anyone have such a utility handy or a pointer to one?
        Thanks.

        Rich

        Rich Cini

        Collector of classic computers

        Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

        Web site: <http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/>
        http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

        Web site: http://www.altair32 <http://www.altair32.com/> .com/

        /***************************************************/
      • Matthew Patoray
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
          Hi,

          I am looking for a half hight replacement for ovolitti
          HD in my AT&T pc6300, the seller forgot to park the
          drive before sending me the compute, needless to say
          it was hosed. Looking for something like a 40 meg if
          you guys think that the bios can handle it.

          Thanks,

          Matt
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 14, 2006
            Matt,

            Is this a PC- or AT-class machine? PC machines need a controller that is compatible with the drive. The computer BIOS are not an issue. AT-class machines (ie: 286 clones) moved the HD geometry to the system BIOS. What is the processor in this machine?

            Hopefully someone has what you need despite the thread on recycling.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
              Hey, Jim's was MARCH list message #4,500.  Cool.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
                Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286 instruction improvements).  The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit Olivetti extension.

                The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251 sized drives on the MFM controller.   I had an 80 mb drive on one once.

                Bill

                Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                Hey, Jim's was MARCH list message #4,500.  Cool.

                Is this a PC- or AT-class machine? PC machines need a controller that is compatible with the drive. The computer BIOS are not an issue. AT-class machines (ie: 286 clones) moved the HD geometry to the system BIOS. What is the processor in this machine?

                Hopefully someone has what you need despite the thread on recycling.

                Jim

                I am looking for a half hight replacement for ovolitti
                HD in my AT&T pc6300, the seller forgot to park the
                drive before sending me the compute, needless to say
                it was hosed. Looking for something like a 40 meg if
                you guys think that the bios can handle it.

                Thanks,

                Matt

                Sponsored Link

                $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
                  So you are saying that one could use an ST 412, ST225, or ST251?

                  Bill

                  At 05:55 PM 11/16/2006 -0800, you wrote:
                  >Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286
                  >instruction improvements). The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit
                  >Olivetti extension.
                  >
                  >The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and
                  >Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk
                  >table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251
                  >sized drives on the MFM controller. I had an 80 mb drive on one once.
                  >
                  >Bill
                • William Pechter
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
                    Depends upon the bios revision... With 1.2.1 it was pretty limited.  With (IIRC) 1.4.3
                    there were larger choices.  IIRC -- depending upon switch settings  -- you can use either the on-board bios table or a WD1002 controller (MFM or the RLL version)...

                    The dip switch settings determined the drive configuration.  You can set it for no drive as well (this is old memory so I may be wrong.)  Then you could use the on-board WD1002-xx roms
                    to configure the disk.  Some info is at:

                    I couldn't find anything on the quick google search.

                    Bill

                    "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
                    So you are saying that one could use an ST 412, ST225, or ST251?

                    Bill

                    At 05:55 PM 11/16/2006 -0800, you wrote:
                    >Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286
                    >instruction improvements) . The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit
                    >Olivetti extension.
                    >
                    >The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and
                    >Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk
                    >table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251
                    >sized drives on the MFM controller. I had an 80 mb drive on one once.
                    >
                    >Bill

                    Sponsored Link

                    $200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity - Click now for info

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
                      THis is making think that what I should do next is check the hd dip switches, and set to the "none" setting to see if I can bypass the harddrive and get to a prompt.    The hard drive may be preventing the boot sequence from completing.  If this were an IBM the equiv. of a 1701 error.  I have seen IBM PC's where the HD is messed up and the entire boot sequence is prevented.
                      bd

                      http://www.textfiles.com/phreak/at&tnews