EPROM utilities

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11, 2006

      All:

                  I seem to be having trouble locating utilities to manage split EPROM images. Oddly enough the EPROM programmer software I have doesn’t seem to do it and I have low/high images I need to merge so I can decompile it. I downloaded “srec” from SourceForge at the suggestion of someone on ClassicCmp but it complains about the binary images for some reason.

                  Does anyone have such a utility handy or a pointer to one? Thanks.

      Rich

      Rich Cini

      Collector of classic computers

      Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

      Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

      Web site: http://www.altair32.com/

      /***************************************************/

    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 11, 2006
        Rich:
        Isn't this just a simple file I/O thing. Send me the two images. Maybe I can write something up to merge the HL pairs. Shouldn't be too hard if it is just byte mergining.

        Kelly

        I seem to be having trouble locating utilities to manage split EPROM images. Oddly enough the EPROM programmer software I have doesn’t seem to do it and I have low/high images I need to merge so I can decompile it. I downloaded “srec” from SourceForge at the suggestion of someone on ClassicCmp but it complains about the binary images for some reason.

        Does anyone have such a utility handy or a pointer to one? Thanks.

        Rich

        Rich Cini

        Collector of classic computers

        Lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator

        Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/ <http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/>

        Web site: http://www.altair32.com/ <http://www.altair32.com/>

        /***************************************************/
      • Richard A. Cini
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 11, 2006
          Kelly:

          Thanks. The "srec" utilities I downloaded worked but the program
          is so flexible that it's confusing to use. I ultimately got it, though.

[...]

          Web site: http://www.altair32 <http://www.altair32.com/> .com/

          /***************************************************/
        • Matthew Patoray
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
            Hi,

            I am looking for a half hight replacement for ovolitti
            HD in my AT&T pc6300, the seller forgot to park the
            drive before sending me the compute, needless to say
            it was hosed. Looking for something like a 40 meg if
            you guys think that the bios can handle it.

            Thanks,

            Matt
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 14, 2006
              Matt,

              Is this a PC- or AT-class machine? PC machines need a controller that is compatible with the drive. The computer BIOS are not an issue. AT-class machines (ie: 286 clones) moved the HD geometry to the system BIOS. What is the processor in this machine?

              Hopefully someone has what you need despite the thread on recycling.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
                Hey, Jim's was MARCH list message #4,500.  Cool.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
                  Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286 instruction improvements).  The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit Olivetti extension.

                  The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251 sized drives on the MFM controller.   I had an 80 mb drive on one once.

                  Bill

                  Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                  Hey, Jim's was MARCH list message #4,500.  Cool.

                  Is this a PC- or AT-class machine? PC machines need a controller that is compatible with the drive. The computer BIOS are not an issue. AT-class machines (ie: 286 clones) moved the HD geometry to the system BIOS. What is the processor in this machine?

                  Hopefully someone has what you need despite the thread on recycling.

                  Jim

                  I am looking for a half hight replacement for ovolitti
                  HD in my AT&T pc6300, the seller forgot to park the
                  drive before sending me the compute, needless to say
                  it was hosed. Looking for something like a 40 meg if
                  you guys think that the bios can handle it.

                  Thanks,

                  Matt

                  Sponsored Link

                  $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 16, 2006
                    So you are saying that one could use an ST 412, ST225, or ST251?

                    Bill

                    At 05:55 PM 11/16/2006 -0800, you wrote:
                    >Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286
                    >instruction improvements). The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit
                    >Olivetti extension.
                    >
                    >The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and
                    >Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk
                    >table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251
                    >sized drives on the MFM controller. I had an 80 mb drive on one once.
                    >
                    >Bill
                  • William Pechter
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
                      Depends upon the bios revision... With 1.2.1 it was pretty limited.  With (IIRC) 1.4.3
                      there were larger choices.  IIRC -- depending upon switch settings  -- you can use either the on-board bios table or a WD1002 controller (MFM or the RLL version)...

                      The dip switch settings determined the drive configuration.  You can set it for no drive as well (this is old memory so I may be wrong.)  Then you could use the on-board WD1002-xx roms
                      to configure the disk.  Some info is at:

                      I couldn't find anything on the quick google search.

                      Bill

                      "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
                      So you are saying that one could use an ST 412, ST225, or ST251?

                      Bill

                      At 05:55 PM 11/16/2006 -0800, you wrote:
                      >Neither... it was a 16 bit bus 8086 box (V30's gave most of the 286
                      >instruction improvements) . The 16 bit bus was 8-bit PC/XT and an 8 bit
                      >Olivetti extension.
                      >
                      >The box used Western Digital or other controllers, but the AT&T and
                      >Olivetti (and the Xerox version of it) boxes all used an in-bios disk
                      >table of cyl/heads/sectors -- the box worked with ST412, ST225, ST251
                      >sized drives on the MFM controller. I had an 80 mb drive on one once.
                      >
                      >Bill

                      Sponsored Link

                      $200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity - Click now for info

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
                        THis is making think that what I should do next is check the hd dip switches, and set to the "none" setting to see if I can bypass the harddrive and get to a prompt.    The hard drive may be preventing the boot sequence from completing.  If this were an IBM the equiv. of a 1701 error.  I have seen IBM PC's where the HD is messed up and the entire boot sequence is prevented.
                        bd

                        http://www.textfiles.com/phreak/at&tnews