Evan's VCF 9 report!

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2006

      > Evan did talk on "computing for newbies" that went well.

      Errr, that was "vintage" computing for newbies .... :)

      I'm going to sleep soon because I have an early flight tomorrow. But a
      few quick notes about the show:

      - The Apple 30th birthday party was awesome. Woz, Daniel Kottke, Randy
      Wigginton, Chris Espinosa, Andy Hertzfeld, and Captain Crunch were all
      there.

      - Woz sounded genuinely interested in our VCF East show. Asked me to keep
      in touch with info about the dates and stuff. BTW, he has the coolest
      business card ever. It's metal and has engraved patterns. I might check
      it into my luggage instead of keeping it in my wallet -- wouldn't want the
      airport security people to take it away!!!

      - Digibarn's Bruce Damer asked the whole audience for suggestions about a
      30th anniversary for 2007. Which got me thinking: why don't we do that at
      East, too? And which noteworthy computer company was based in our
      territory that launched in 1977...? COMMODORE!!! So I talked to a few
      Commodore people here at VCF and they loved the idea. We'll invite a
      bunch of early Commodore people and throw a 30th birthday party. It's
      said that Jack T. does not really care anymore about history, akin to Jobs
      @ Apple, but that Chuck Peddle is cool with this stuff, akin to Woz. I'll
      contact Brian Bagnall who wrote the Commodore book last year; he's in good
      with Peddle.

      - I spoke again with Hans Franke, who runs VCF Europa (in Munich). We're
      still considering the logistics of having (at a minimum) IRC terminals so
      the VCF East and VCF Europa attendees can chat. We're also considering
      (ideally) doing a full videocast of the keynotes, roaming exhibit video,
      etc.

      - Vince Briel and Jack Rubin were here, both of whom exhibited at East
      3.0, and they spread the good word about our show. That's a lot more
      compelling to regular people than hearing it from Sellam, me, or Bill.

      - Bill had the idea that at next year's Trenton show, MARCH can sell a few
      ready-to-go vintage computer systems as a fundraiser. I think maybe we
      can do it as a silent auction, but either way, it's a good concept. We
      have to run it by the TCF people since they give us free booth space with
      the understanding that we're a non-profit and not selling stuff. We could
      just buy a booth, but that could defeat the income we get from it.

      - I spoke with my friend Liza Loop, who owns the Apple 1 serial #1 (she
      got it directly from Woz when it was new.) She's really into computers in
      education and she might build a traveling exhibit. She's quite a pro at
      this, so that would make a great museum exhibit and the InfoAge people
      would love the education focus. (No, she won't send us the #1 Apple 1
      board.)

      - My exhibit won an award for "Best Technology: Non-Electronic" (I showed
      pre-industrial computing devices) .... there was only one other exhibit in
      this category (Babbage machine replica) .... but that guy wasn't entered
      in the judging ... so I had the "best" of one entrant. ;)

      - Bought myself an expansion module for my Sharp PC-5000, and bought an
      Epson HX-20 with its expansion module, case, and manual (my existing HX-20
      doesn't work.) Bill bought some kind of drive.

      - In addition to Woz, I had a nice conversation with Lee Felsenstein about
      the Osborne computer. Lee was there to talk about the SOL 20 (which he
      designed) but he was happy to answer my Osborne questions as well (he
      designed that, too.) Cool! Meanwhile, Bill and I both had a nice chat
      with Steve "Slug" Russell, who co-wrote Spacewar on the PDP-1 at MIT in
      the 1960s.

      - I had dinner tonight with Michael Holley. Michael isn't really famous
      for anything, but he attended the Homebrew club meetings in the
      mid-to-late 1970s, and was there when all of the landmark products were
      introduced. For example he was there when Woz first spoke up to show a
      home-designed TVT --- the Apple 1. Michael's a really friendly guy and he
      might bring a SWTPC exhibit to our show. Emphasis on "might"...

      ...Probably forgot to mention a few things, but I'm exhausted now and off
      to hunt the elusive wild ZZZ.

      Remember, the next MARCH - InfoAge workday is this Saturday, Nov. 11.

      - Evan
    • buseyl
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
        > - Woz sounded genuinely interested in our VCF East show. Asked me
        to keep
        > in touch with info about the dates and stuff. BTW, he has the
        coolest
        > business card ever. It's metal and has engraved patterns. I might
        check
        > it into my luggage instead of keeping it in my wallet -- wouldn't
        want the
        > airport security people to take it away!!!

        That's pretty cool. It sounds like the card Woz was showing off on his
        Colbert Report interview. I guess he can't get away with using it on
        flights anymore now that he's bragged about it on tv. :)

        Liam
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
          I haven't seen the interview but you are the third person this week to mention it ... will look for it online this week. Hey, anyone have a link?
        • macmothership
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
            I had it here: http://www.macmothership.com/nucleus/index.php?
            query=colbert&amount=0&blogid=1

            The YouTube link now says that it was removed due to copyright violation.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
              FYI It's a business card that looks like a PCBboard.
              bd

              At Monday, 06 November 2006, you wrote:

              >> - Woz sounded genuinely interested in our VCF East show. Asked me
              >to keep
              >> in touch with info about the dates and stuff. BTW, he has the
              >coolest
              >> business card ever. It's metal and has engraved patterns. I might
              >check
              >> it into my luggage instead of keeping it in my wallet -- wouldn't
              >want the
              >> airport security people to take it away!!!
              >
              >That's pretty cool. It sounds like the card Woz was showing off on his
              >Colbert Report interview. I guess he can't get away with using it on
              >flights anymore now that he's bragged about it on tv. :)
              >
              >Liam
              >
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              -- E N D --