Re: [midatlanticretro] Big haul of books

  • Alexey Toptygin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
      On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Jim Scheef wrote:

      > Almost all of the books, manuals and guides are the type of materials I
      > want us to accumulate in the MARCH Reference Library. Hopefully this
      > library will become a valuable resource for people restoring and using
      > vintage computers and software.

      Cool, I'm glad you're interested.

      > To help get the library going I plan to donate all of the installation
      > guides and manuals I've accumulated over the years for various PC
      > adapter cards. Remember when adapter cards had jumpers and switches?
      > Documentation for boards and computers sold before the Internet are hard
      > or impossible to find online. Our library can provide a central
      > respository to fill that void.

      That's what I think too.

      > Your reluctance to donate all your stuff outright is understandable. We
      > will need to develop means to document ownership of artifacts on load to
      > both the museum and the library that does not deface the item yet still
      > allows for it's use (on site) by members. In the meatime, please hold
      > your haul while we work with InfoAge on space, obtain book shelves and
      > filing cabinets, etc.

      The reason I say 'indefinite loan' is becasue I've seen way too many
      volunteer-run organizations come and go over the years. Sometimes vibrant
      groups would die literally overnight... I hope this never happens to
      MARCH, but in the unfortunate case it does, I'd like to know that I can
      recover my donations and they won't be completely lost. Another reason
      I've heard for 'indefinite loan' type donations (though I'm not sure I buy
      it) is that, since the loaned items are not technically the museum's
      property, they cannot be confiscated by the bank if the museum becomes
      financially liable for huge sums of money, for example due to lawsuit.

      Alexey
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
        Alexey,

        You make an interesting point there at the end. MARCH is incorporated in NJ as a non-profit but that just limits the liability of the officers and members. I'm not certain that a bank would concider our collection collateral, but in today's world, you never know.

        I am often concerned that MARCH will not reach critial mass - we're certainly not there yet. Of the 140+ members of this list, only about 30 are actually MARCH members. The free ride at InfoAge will end sooner than we realize and we will be expected to carry our weight to pay the utilities, etc., to run the facility. Our museum needs to be good enough that people are willing to pay money to see it and feel they got their money's worth when they leave!

        Jim

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
          Long-term loans are fine with me.