Re: [midatlanticretro] Vintagecomputer.net Updates

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
      Thanks. Once I get all of the back-logged items into my site, I
      may very well add an article about cleaning vintage computers.
      Bill

      At Monday, 30 October 2006, you wrote:

      >Bill,Your site always looks great. You have an amazing ability to
      clean up these old machines! An article on your techniques would
      be nice.Jim----- Original Message ----From: B. Degnan <billdeg@degnanco.
      com>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSent: Sunday, October 29,
      2006 11:31:57 AMSubject: [midatlanticretro] Vintagecomputer.net
      Updates

      > Hi -
      >I have made a lot of updates to my web site, if you care to take a look
      >
      >http://vintagecompu ter.net/
      >
      >Bill D

      -- E N D --
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
        thanks.

        > Nice updates to your site!
        >
        >1) the California Computer System is a S-100 chassis (case, power
        >supply, presumably motherboard) with non-CCS boards in it, such as the
        >Jade Z80 card. The software to run that system will be defined by the
        >cards inside of it, most notibly the floppy disk controller card. I
        >don't know that you can "call" it a CCS "system" just because of the
        >box. Many many S-100 systems consisted of variety of cards: that was
        >the point of the S-100 bus. I've identified over *100* S-100
        >manufacturers.

        Old Byte and Kilobauds are full way outstuff. I have a lot more pictures
        of the cards, etc. to still post. The CCS.

        >2) The "particle counter" looks like a test instrument built around a
        >Commodore business computer. Can you identify if it is in the
        >Commodore "package" or case and is simply repainted; or if the CBM
        >computer was "re-packaged" in a different case? It's interesting to
        >see either way.

        Yes it is a CBM 8296. more details
        here:http://www.vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=34

        >3) The Volscan article on your page is interesting. I don't know what
        >is the earliest "light pens" or "light gun" as the article described.
        >You might do a patent search. CRT's go back to the early 20th
        >century, but electronics to interpret a LIGHT signal from them would
        >be later. And "computers" with devices to combine visual feedback with
        >mechanical adjustment are at least as old as the Norman (sic?)
        >bombsight of WWII, which was a mechanical computer.

        I received a lot of info from the web on the Volscan. I am glad to have
        written about it. Thanks for the feedback.

        Bill