Re: Vintagecomputer.net Updates

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006

      > Hi -
      > I have made a lot of updates to my web site, if you care to take a look
      >
      > http://vintagecomputer.net/
      >
      > Bill D

      Nice updates to your site!

      1) the California Computer System is a S-100 chassis (case, power
      supply, presumably motherboard) with non-CCS boards in it, such as the
      Jade Z80 card. The software to run that system will be defined by the
      cards inside of it, most notibly the floppy disk controller card. I
      don't know that you can "call" it a CCS "system" just because of the
      box. Many many S-100 systems consisted of variety of cards: that was
      the point of the S-100 bus. I've identified over *100* S-100
      manufacturers.

      2) The "particle counter" looks like a test instrument built around a
      Commodore business computer. Can you identify if it is in the
      Commodore "package" or case and is simply repainted; or if the CBM
      computer was "re-packaged" in a different case? It's interesting to
      see either way.

      3) The Volscan article on your page is interesting. I don't know what
      is the earliest "light pens" or "light gun" as the article described.
      You might do a patent search. CRT's go back to the early 20th
      century, but electronics to interpret a LIGHT signal from them would
      be later. And "computers" with devices to combine visual feedback with
      mechanical adjustment are at least as old as the Norman (sic?)
      bombsight of WWII, which was a mechanical computer.

      Herb JOhnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
        Jim
        Thanks. Once I get all of the back-logged items into my site, I
        may very well add an article about cleaning vintage computers.
        Bill

        At Monday, 30 October 2006, you wrote:

        >Bill,Your site always looks great. You have an amazing ability to
        clean up these old machines! An article on your techniques would
        be nice.Jim----- Original Message ----From: B. Degnan <billdeg@degnanco.
        com>To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.comSent: Sunday, October 29,
        2006 11:31:57 AMSubject: [midatlanticretro] Vintagecomputer.net
        Updates

        > Hi -
        >I have made a lot of updates to my web site, if you care to take a look
        >
        >http://vintagecompu ter.net/
        >
        >Bill D

        -- E N D --
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
          thanks.

          > Nice updates to your site!
          >
          >1) the California Computer System is a S-100 chassis (case, power
          >supply, presumably motherboard) with non-CCS boards in it, such as the
          >Jade Z80 card. The software to run that system will be defined by the
          >cards inside of it, most notibly the floppy disk controller card. I
          >don't know that you can "call" it a CCS "system" just because of the
          >box. Many many S-100 systems consisted of variety of cards: that was
          >the point of the S-100 bus. I've identified over *100* S-100
          >manufacturers.

          Old Byte and Kilobauds are full way outstuff. I have a lot more pictures
          of the cards, etc. to still post. The CCS.

          >2) The "particle counter" looks like a test instrument built around a
          >Commodore business computer. Can you identify if it is in the
          >Commodore "package" or case and is simply repainted; or if the CBM
          >computer was "re-packaged" in a different case? It's interesting to
          >see either way.

          Yes it is a CBM 8296. more details
          here:http://www.vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=34

          >3) The Volscan article on your page is interesting. I don't know what
          >is the earliest "light pens" or "light gun" as the article described.
          >You might do a patent search. CRT's go back to the early 20th
          >century, but electronics to interpret a LIGHT signal from them would
          >be later. And "computers" with devices to combine visual feedback with
          >mechanical adjustment are at least as old as the Norman (sic?)
          >bombsight of WWII, which was a mechanical computer.

          I received a lot of info from the web on the Volscan. I am glad to have
          written about it. Thanks for the feedback.

          Bill