VT-180 pickup

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2006
      Evan and all,

      I was finally able to arrange a rendezvous with an MIT museum staffer, so I now have the VT-180 in my basement. Almost everything is in the original packaging. So far I have only peeked at the keyboard which looks so pristine you'd think Bill D. had cleaned it! I'm sure the rest of the machine is also in "as new" condition. Also included were a bunch of manuals and some software. There may be more software stuffed in with the machine in the larger boxes. Given it's condition and packaging I do not plan to try to turn it on but will leave that to someone who might know what they are doing. For those of you unfamiliar with the VT-180, it is a "personal computer" made by DEC around 1980 by adding a 2-floppy expansion card and external chassis to a regular VT-101 terminal. The local operating system was CP/M. The VT-180 allowed the user to use one device for local computing while retaining access to the "real computer", a PDP or VAX on the network.

      As part of the turnover procedure, I was required to sign a document that detailed to whom the artifact was going. They use this form to remove an artifact from their inventory/collection. I signed for MARCH. This is the type of 'chain of custody' documents that we need to develop if we are going to become a "real" museum.