Big haul of books

  • Alexey Toptygin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2006
      I picked up 4 boxes of books (and some DOS games) from another local
      packrat. Big list follows. They're not in perfect condition, but not
      falling apart either. If you guys want to use any of them for the museum,
      I can loan them indefinitely (except maybe the Mac SE manuals, since I
      have an SE but no manuals for it until today). I'm also willing to sell
      some of the books I don't personally intend to read for a few bucks plus
      shipping. Let me know if you're interested or have any questions.

      Alexey

      Books:
      IBM OS/2 2.1 boxed set (with floppies)
      Lattice C comiler 2.15 (with floppies)
      Lotus 1-2-3 boxed set (shrink-wrapped)
      IBM COBOL compiler, "updated" sticker (shrink-wrapped)
      Pfix86 Debugger 2.0 manual (with floppy)
      Code Base 4.03 (with floppies)
      Borland Sidekick manual and quick-reference card
      DEC PDP-11 Architecture Handbook 83-84
      DEC PDP-11 Software Handbook 84-85
      Rodnay Zaks - The CP/M handbook with MP/M
      Peter McWilliams - The Personal Computer Book
      subtitled "What Are Those Television-Typewriters Anyway?" :-)
      MacUser's 1001 Hints & Tips for the Macintosh
      CompuServe Information Service Subscription Kit (no floppies)
      Byte Magazine 15th anniverary edition (Jan 1990)
      Lead Tools 32 DLL for Windows manual
      Data Junction manual
      (was DataPlex, based on what's under the sticker on the cover)
      Aho, Sethi and Ullman - Compilers: Principles, Techniques and Tools
      Donald Waterman - A Guide to Expert Systems
      Martin Seyer - RS-232 Made Easy

      Macintosh SE Manual, Quick Reference card and New Features Update
      MultiFinder User's Guide
      Macintosh Utilities User's Guide
      MacDraw Manual
      MacWrite Manual
      ImageWriter II Owner's Manual

      Microsoft Fortran boxed set (shrink-wrapped)
      Microsoft C 5.1 Optimizing Compiler Manual and Quick Reference Guide
      Microsoft Excel Reference Guide (first 10 pages missing)
      (with Excel 2.10 floppies)
      Microsoft Works for Macintosh 1.1 Manuals (set of 2)
      Microsoft Windows SDK - The Windows Interface: An Application Design Guide
      Microsoft Win32 SDK:
      Win32s Programmer's Reference
      Software Compatibility Test
      Tool User's Guides (shrink-wrapped)
      Programming Techniques (shrink-wrapped)
      RPC Programmer's Guide and Reference (shrink-wrapped)
      Microsoft Test 1.0 User's Guide
      Microsoft Access:
      Getting Started
      Introduction to Programming
      Microsoft Windows NT 3.1:
      System Guide
      Hardware Compatibility List
      "Guide to Service And Support" card with NT serial number
      Microsoft Win32 Programmer's Reference (volumes 2-5)
      (volumes 3-5 shrink-wrapped)
      The Waite Group's Microsoft C Bible second edition
      Charles Pretzold - Programming Windows 95

      Games:
      Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Simulator
      Binary Systems' Starflight
      Star Wars: X Wing
      Star Wars: Dark Forces (CD-ROM)
      Stephen Walton's Starclash II
    • Alexey Toptygin
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2006
        Oops, I left out a couple of items:

        Macintosh Performa 6200CD/6300CD User's Guide
        Apple Multiple Scan 14 User's Guide
        Apple Color OneScanner User's Guide and Quick Reference card
        Microsoft Windows and MS-DOS 6.2 User's Guide
        HP 7475A Graphics Plotter:
        Operation and Interconnection Manual (2 different editions)
        Interfacing and Programming Manual
        Reference Card

        Alexey
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
          Alexey,

          Almost all of the books, manuals and guides are the type of materials I want us to accumulate in the MARCH Reference Library. Hopefully this library will become a valuable resource for people restoring and using vintage computers and software.

          To help get the library going I plan to donate all of the installation guides and manuals I've accumulated over the years for various PC adapter cards. Remember when adapter cards had jumpers and switches? Documentation for boards and computers sold before the Internet are hard or impossible to find online. Our library can provide a central respository to fill that void.

          Your reluctance to donate all your stuff outright is understandable. We will need to develop means to document ownership of artifacts on load to both the museum and the library that does not deface the item yet still allows for it's use (on site) by members. In the meatime, please hold your haul while we work with InfoAge on space, obtain book shelves and filing cabinets, etc.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
            On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Jim Scheef wrote:

            > Almost all of the books, manuals and guides are the type of materials I
            > want us to accumulate in the MARCH Reference Library. Hopefully this
            > library will become a valuable resource for people restoring and using
            > vintage computers and software.

            Cool, I'm glad you're interested.

            > To help get the library going I plan to donate all of the installation
            > guides and manuals I've accumulated over the years for various PC
            > adapter cards. Remember when adapter cards had jumpers and switches?
            > Documentation for boards and computers sold before the Internet are hard
            > or impossible to find online. Our library can provide a central
            > respository to fill that void.

            That's what I think too.

            > Your reluctance to donate all your stuff outright is understandable. We
            > will need to develop means to document ownership of artifacts on load to
            > both the museum and the library that does not deface the item yet still
            > allows for it's use (on site) by members. In the meatime, please hold
            > your haul while we work with InfoAge on space, obtain book shelves and
            > filing cabinets, etc.

            The reason I say 'indefinite loan' is becasue I've seen way too many
            volunteer-run organizations come and go over the years. Sometimes vibrant
            groups would die literally overnight... I hope this never happens to
            MARCH, but in the unfortunate case it does, I'd like to know that I can
            recover my donations and they won't be completely lost. Another reason
            I've heard for 'indefinite loan' type donations (though I'm not sure I buy
            it) is that, since the loaned items are not technically the museum's
            property, they cannot be confiscated by the bank if the museum becomes
            financially liable for huge sums of money, for example due to lawsuit.

            Alexey
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
              Alexey,

              You make an interesting point there at the end. MARCH is incorporated in NJ as a non-profit but that just limits the liability of the officers and members. I'm not certain that a bank would concider our collection collateral, but in today's world, you never know.

              I am often concerned that MARCH will not reach critial mass - we're certainly not there yet. Of the 140+ members of this list, only about 30 are actually MARCH members. The free ride at InfoAge will end sooner than we realize and we will be expected to carry our weight to pay the utilities, etc., to run the facility. Our museum needs to be good enough that people are willing to pay money to see it and feel they got their money's worth when they leave!

              Jim

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
                Long-term loans are fine with me.