Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Decsystem 20/20 (Digital/DEC) bigger than a pdp11

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
      Herb Johnson wrote:
      > (chuckle) The DEC-20 went to one of four bidders at $16,000 DOLLARS.
      > Who's laughing now? I think the seller, probably the buyer too.

      If I had had that much money, I would have spent it on that.

      Peace... Sridhar
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
        If I had that much money I would pay off my car loan.....

        > (chuckle) The DEC-20 went to one of four bidders at $16,000 DOLLARS.
        > Who's laughing now? I think the seller, probably the buyer too.

        If I had had that much money, I would have spent it on that.

        Peace... Sridhar

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Alexey Toptygin
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
          On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > If I had that much money I would pay off my car loan.....

          If I had that much money, I'd take a sabbatical to play with my collection
          of classic computers... round tuits are the thing in shortest supply in my
          life.

          Alexey
        • Stanley Brewer
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 27, 2008
            I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
            to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
            B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
            to open windows!

            Stan

            > I have an IBM Series 1 system with three mammoth hard drives, tape
            drive,
            > disk drive. I plan to (attempt to) power it up this winter to heat
            my house.

            > Bill
            >
            > At 06:31 PM 10/25/2006 -0700, you wrote:
            > >I didn't think Compuserve ran on a KS...
            > >They're a lot smaller and IIRC they used a bit slice AMD
            processor... kind
            > >of like the 11/730 of DEC PDP10's...
            > >I can really appreciate the work that goes into getting a mainframe
            > >running in a residential setting -- but I'm surprised the ES ran
            cooler
            > >than a KL...
            > >That was one of the biggest power sucking beasts DEC had (except
            for my
            > >favorite VAX --- the 8650. The 440 volt feed to that one was amazing.
            > >I don't have the info on what sucked more power -- the KL or the Venus.
            > >The machine I'd love to have had here was the KB11-CM 11/74 single CPU
            > >that we had in DEC Princeton. An 11/70 in the DEC Datasystem 570 blue
            > >would be my next choice and the Red White and Blue11/45 Industrial
            PDP11
            > >would be next. (Just for the cool look factor...)
            > >Bill
            > >Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:
            > >William Pechter wrote:
            > > > A KL is about 10 foot long by about 5 foot in width (footprint) and
            > > > pulls a ton of power -- and it's hot running ECL. Think about 3 or 4
            > > > 11/70 mini's in the room.
            > > > This is 10K ECL logic IIRC. To run it requires the front end
            11/40 and
            > > > the rest of the ECL logic. Not to mention the RP06 Memorex 667
            (IIRC)
            > > > disk drives with their power load and weight. (Could be lucky
            and have
            > > > RM05's on it -- but usually the system pack was on RP06...)
            > > > Bill
            > >
            > >First of all, a 2020 is a *KS*, so it's smaller. Second of all, I
            > >currently run an IBM S/390 G1 (some Bipolar, some CMOS) in my house,
            > >which is bigger than a KS.
            > >
            > >I used to run an IBM ES/9021 in my parents' house which ran *much*
            > >hotter than a KL-10. I had to pour a concrete pad outside for the heat
            > >exchanger.
            > >
            > >I currently run an S/390 G1 (including CPU + DASD controller + 1 DASD
            > >rack + 3490 tape jukebox), VAX 6660, VAX 7640 and a couple racks
            full of
            > >other gear in my dining room. There's also a VAX 8700 in there, but it
            > >isn't powered on. I had to reinforce the floor to hold the weight.
            > >
            > >There are dozens of other machines in various places in the house.
            > >Including a PDP-11/70 (in the basement), which I've had since I was
            > >about 11 years old.
            > >
            > >I have years of experience running mainframes in a residential setting.
            > >
            > >Peace... Sridhar

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
              Stanley Brewer wrote:
              > I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
              > to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
              > B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
              > to open windows!

              I know someone who lives in New Jersey and has three-phase service to
              provide power to a three-phase compressor he uses to run his automotive
              lift as well as a variety of pneumatic tools at the house.

              I don't know if he had it long enough ago to have had it when Claude was
              speaking, though. He is an older fellow.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Stan Brewer
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
                Older than Claude?  : )
                Claude must have been being figurative.

                                         Stan

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
                  Stan Brewer wrote:
                  > Older than Claude? : )

                  I'm not comepletely sure how old Claude is. He looks like 70s or 80s.
                  If so, this guy would roughly be the same age. Classic car old-timer.

                  > Claude must have been being figurative.

                  Indeed.

                  Peace... Sridhar

                  > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Stanley Brewer wrote:
                  >> > I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
                  >> > to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
                  >> > B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
                  >> > to open windows!
                  >>
                  >> I know someone who lives in New Jersey and has three-phase service to
                  >> provide power to a three-phase compressor he uses to run his automotive
                  >> lift as well as a variety of pneumatic tools at the house.
                  >>
                  >> I don't know if he had it long enough ago to have had it when Claude was
                  >> speaking, though. He is an older fellow.
                  >>
                  >> Peace... Sridhar

                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 9, 2008
                    William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

                    > I didn't think Compuserve ran on a KS...
                    > They're a lot smaller and IIRC they used a bit slice AMD
                    > processor... kind of like the 11/730 of DEC PDP10's..

                    I've been out of town and so did not follow this thread until my
                    return. Here's some comments.

                    I ran a KA-10 for Ohio State, and later established the site for its
                    replacment, a KS-10 (the system in apparent discussion here). I was a
                    paid, full time, system manager. Both ran TOPS-10.

                    The KS is one pair of rather wide (24-inch) cabinets, and used much
                    less power than any other PDP-10 or -20. Compuserve used the KS-10's
                    as some kind of network node controller (whatever that was). OTherwise
                    they ran the KL's or KI's. Maybe they had a KA somewhere, at some time.

                    Anyone interested in what these are, can search the Web for PDP-10's
                    and PDP-20's, and get correct and better information.

                    There are probably software emulators for these machines. Again,
                    search the Web.

                    Running a mainframe, and keeping it running, is a serious commitment.
                    I get a little tired of saying that. So run around the Web, look for
                    people running these today. Size up what they are doing, come to your
                    own conclusions. Or, rent a truck, grab a mainframe and fill your
                    basement, and blow your circuit breakers as you learn. Or, run an
                    emulator and just wrassle with the software. Your call.

                    Herb Johnson
                    retrotechnology.com