Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Decsystem 20/20 (Digital/DEC) bigger than a pdp11

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 26, 2006
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Group announcement: MARCH now stands for, "Mainframes Are Really Cool,
      > Herb!"
      >

      > :-)

      LOL

      Peace... Sridhar
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 26, 2006
        On a tangent ...I have two racks of servers (modern ones) that draw
        600-900W per power supply each. I am sure that the IBM Series 1 ate a lot
        of juice, but would they really pop a 40 AMP circuit breaker? I will check
        the manuals if anyone is interested. Here is the inventory of the IBM
        Series 1 system at my house. It was given to me by Roy Soltoff.

        IBM Series 1 System Inventory:
        qty) description
        2) 6' IBM 4997 Rack Units with shelves to house the processor and peripherals.
        1) IBM 4956 Processor (see
        http://www.btxmuseum.de/Hardware/geraet.asp?id=120 for German
        equivalent pic of control panel) See also below.
        1) Cambex Corp Model 80810 2-tape drive storage device (no tapes)
        1) IBM 4962 8" disk drive (w/ 3 boxes of software)
        1) IBM 4967 Hard drive (69kg)
        1) IBM 4963 Hard drive (55kg)
        1) IBM 4963A Hard drive (55kg)
        1) IBM 4978 display station and keyboard (display is bad, single horizontal
        line only. Unsure if it is part of the original Series 1 set up.)
        12) Series I system software/hardware manuals "standard 3-ring binder sized"
        20) Series I system software/hardware manuals (tall, blue, with IBM written
        on them)
        There is documentation for all components, plus service logs, software
        documentation, installation instructions, etc. Pretty complete.

        Misc. papers and other documentation and receipts.

        3 boxes of IBM software on 8" disks, including diagnostics for hardware.
        1 box of cables and jacks for additional display stations/terminals
        1 box of printer ribbons (no printer)

        product literature and period IBM sales circulars, etc.

        * The 4956 Processor is full of the appropriate cards for the peripherals
        (hard drives,
        tape drive, terminals, etc.) The system appears to have been upgraded at
        least once. I
        have been able to cable up most peripherals to the matching processor
        cards. I do not
        plan to power up the system at this time. I have cleaned each subsystem,
        but overall it
        was "clean enough" already. Most of the wear is on the rack unit, dings
        and the like.

        16 serial ports I believe.

        Overall condition is OK. Some dust removed. Not powered on.

        Bill D

        At 12:38 PM 10/26/2006 -0400, you wrote:
        >Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > > Group announcement: MARCH now stands for, "Mainframes Are Really Cool,
        > > Herb!"
        > >

        > > :-)
        >
        >LOL
        >
        >Peace... Sridhar
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
          <ploopster@...> wrote:

          > Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > > Group announcement: MARCH now stands for, "Mainframes Are Really Cool,
          > > Herb!"
          > >
          > > :-)
          >
          > LOL
          >
          > Peace... Sridhar

          (chuckle) The DEC-20 went to one of four bidders at $16,000 DOLLARS.
          Who's laughing now? I think the seller, probably the buyer too.

          Herb
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
            Herb Johnson wrote:
            > (chuckle) The DEC-20 went to one of four bidders at $16,000 DOLLARS.
            > Who's laughing now? I think the seller, probably the buyer too.

            If I had had that much money, I would have spent it on that.

            Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
              If I had that much money I would pay off my car loan.....

              > (chuckle) The DEC-20 went to one of four bidders at $16,000 DOLLARS.
              > Who's laughing now? I think the seller, probably the buyer too.

              If I had had that much money, I would have spent it on that.

              Peace... Sridhar

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Alexey Toptygin
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 27, 2006
                On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > If I had that much money I would pay off my car loan.....

                If I had that much money, I'd take a sabbatical to play with my collection
                of classic computers... round tuits are the thing in shortest supply in my
                life.

                Alexey
              • Stanley Brewer
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 27, 2008
                  I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
                  to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
                  B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
                  to open windows!

                  Stan

                  > I have an IBM Series 1 system with three mammoth hard drives, tape
                  drive,
                  > disk drive. I plan to (attempt to) power it up this winter to heat
                  my house.

                  > Bill
                  >
                  > At 06:31 PM 10/25/2006 -0700, you wrote:
                  > >I didn't think Compuserve ran on a KS...
                  > >They're a lot smaller and IIRC they used a bit slice AMD
                  processor... kind
                  > >of like the 11/730 of DEC PDP10's...
                  > >I can really appreciate the work that goes into getting a mainframe
                  > >running in a residential setting -- but I'm surprised the ES ran
                  cooler
                  > >than a KL...
                  > >That was one of the biggest power sucking beasts DEC had (except
                  for my
                  > >favorite VAX --- the 8650. The 440 volt feed to that one was amazing.
                  > >I don't have the info on what sucked more power -- the KL or the Venus.
                  > >The machine I'd love to have had here was the KB11-CM 11/74 single CPU
                  > >that we had in DEC Princeton. An 11/70 in the DEC Datasystem 570 blue
                  > >would be my next choice and the Red White and Blue11/45 Industrial
                  PDP11
                  > >would be next. (Just for the cool look factor...)
                  > >Bill
                  > >Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:
                  > >William Pechter wrote:
                  > > > A KL is about 10 foot long by about 5 foot in width (footprint) and
                  > > > pulls a ton of power -- and it's hot running ECL. Think about 3 or 4
                  > > > 11/70 mini's in the room.
                  > > > This is 10K ECL logic IIRC. To run it requires the front end
                  11/40 and
                  > > > the rest of the ECL logic. Not to mention the RP06 Memorex 667
                  (IIRC)
                  > > > disk drives with their power load and weight. (Could be lucky
                  and have
                  > > > RM05's on it -- but usually the system pack was on RP06...)
                  > > > Bill
                  > >
                  > >First of all, a 2020 is a *KS*, so it's smaller. Second of all, I
                  > >currently run an IBM S/390 G1 (some Bipolar, some CMOS) in my house,
                  > >which is bigger than a KS.
                  > >
                  > >I used to run an IBM ES/9021 in my parents' house which ran *much*
                  > >hotter than a KL-10. I had to pour a concrete pad outside for the heat
                  > >exchanger.
                  > >
                  > >I currently run an S/390 G1 (including CPU + DASD controller + 1 DASD
                  > >rack + 3490 tape jukebox), VAX 6660, VAX 7640 and a couple racks
                  full of
                  > >other gear in my dining room. There's also a VAX 8700 in there, but it
                  > >isn't powered on. I had to reinforce the floor to hold the weight.
                  > >
                  > >There are dozens of other machines in various places in the house.
                  > >Including a PDP-11/70 (in the basement), which I've had since I was
                  > >about 11 years old.
                  > >
                  > >I have years of experience running mainframes in a residential setting.
                  > >
                  > >Peace... Sridhar

                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
                    Stanley Brewer wrote:
                    > I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
                    > to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
                    > B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
                    > to open windows!

                    I know someone who lives in New Jersey and has three-phase service to
                    provide power to a three-phase compressor he uses to run his automotive
                    lift as well as a variety of pneumatic tools at the house.

                    I don't know if he had it long enough ago to have had it when Claude was
                    speaking, though. He is an older fellow.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Stan Brewer
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
                      Older than Claude?  : )
                      Claude must have been being figurative.

                                               Stan

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
                        Stan Brewer wrote:
                        > Older than Claude? : )

                        I'm not comepletely sure how old Claude is. He looks like 70s or 80s.
                        If so, this guy would roughly be the same age. Classic car old-timer.

                        > Claude must have been being figurative.

                        Indeed.

                        Peace... Sridhar

                        > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Stanley Brewer wrote:
                        >> > I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
                        >> > to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
                        >> > B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
                        >> > to open windows!
                        >>
                        >> I know someone who lives in New Jersey and has three-phase service to
                        >> provide power to a three-phase compressor he uses to run his automotive
                        >> lift as well as a variety of pneumatic tools at the house.
                        >>
                        >> I don't know if he had it long enough ago to have had it when Claude was
                        >> speaking, though. He is an older fellow.
                        >>
                        >> Peace... Sridhar

                      • Herb Johnson
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 9, 2008
                          William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

                          > I didn't think Compuserve ran on a KS...
                          > They're a lot smaller and IIRC they used a bit slice AMD
                          > processor... kind of like the 11/730 of DEC PDP10's..

                          I've been out of town and so did not follow this thread until my
                          return. Here's some comments.

                          I ran a KA-10 for Ohio State, and later established the site for its
                          replacment, a KS-10 (the system in apparent discussion here). I was a
                          paid, full time, system manager. Both ran TOPS-10.

                          The KS is one pair of rather wide (24-inch) cabinets, and used much
                          less power than any other PDP-10 or -20. Compuserve used the KS-10's
                          as some kind of network node controller (whatever that was). OTherwise
                          they ran the KL's or KI's. Maybe they had a KA somewhere, at some time.

                          Anyone interested in what these are, can search the Web for PDP-10's
                          and PDP-20's, and get correct and better information.

                          There are probably software emulators for these machines. Again,
                          search the Web.

                          Running a mainframe, and keeping it running, is a serious commitment.
                          I get a little tired of saying that. So run around the Web, look for
                          people running these today. Size up what they are doing, come to your
                          own conclusions. Or, rent a truck, grab a mainframe and fill your
                          basement, and blow your circuit breakers as you learn. Or, run an
                          emulator and just wrassle with the software. Your call.

                          Herb Johnson
                          retrotechnology.com