RE: [midatlanticretro] VCF East 2006

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2005
      That's VCF East 3.0 -- last year in Boston was 2.0.  http://www.vintage.org/2004/east/

      I rate InfoAge very high!  There are plenty of hotels in the area (budget: Comfort Inn, Travelodge; nice -- Marriott).  There is a five-acre parking lot.  There's easy access from the NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and I-195.  There are big doors and loading areas -- after all this thing was a major Army research installation.  Therefore, there is even a nuclear fallout shelter in the basement.  (Seriously.)

      I heard that AmigaEast was cancelled becuase the organizer didn't have the $6,000 needed to secure the venue.  That is a non-issue, as our use of the facility would be zero, zilch, gratis, nada, FREE, for things like VCF and swap meets, as part of helping with the museum.

      Bill -- you're our Commodore insider -- were there other reasons for AmigaEast shutting down?

      The only real "con" I can think of is the lack of a local high-tech community.  The past U.S. VCF events were in Silicon Valley and metro Boston -- obviously plenty of ideal community there.  Then again, Trenton isn't exactly an engineer's dream, and that went great.

      How do you rate the InfoAge for the VCF 2 (hotels, load in, space, etc?)  Overall, and what are the pros and cons?  I think that we should avoid those things that caused the Amiga fest to be cancelled.
      Bill
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2005
        Evan wrote:
        > That's VCF East 3.0 -- last year in Boston was 2.0.
        > http://www.vintage.org/2004/east/
        >
        > I rate InfoAge very high! There are plenty of hotels in the area
        > (budget: Comfort Inn, Travelodge; nice -- Marriott). There is a
        > five-acre parking lot. There's easy access from the NJ Turnpike, Garden
        > State Parkway, and I-195. There are big doors and loading areas --
        > after all this thing was a major Army research installation. Therefore,
        > there is even a nuclear fallout shelter in the basement. (Seriously.)

        So *could* there be a possibility of a VCF East this year??

        Cheers,

        Bryan Pope
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2005
          Probably not.

          However, I'm very optimistic about VCF East 3.0 in March 2006.

          On a side note, there is a major gaming event in Philadelphia, in mid-November.  http://www.vgxpo.com

          Bryan, where do you live?  I might be able to refer you to some local stuff.

          href="http://www.vintage.org/2004/east/">http://www.vintage.org/2004/east/

          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2005
            Evan wrote:
            > Probably not.
            >
            > However, I'm very optimistic about VCF East 3.0 in March 2006.
            >
            > On a side note, there is a major gaming event in Philadelphia, in
            > mid-November. http://www.vgxpo.com
            >
            > Bryan, where do you live? I might be able to refer you to some local stuff.

            Evan,

            I am currently living in Pemberton, NJ.. I wanted to go to the TCf but
            work got in the way. I think we have met before at the last VCF East -
            I put on a small display of Commodore PETs, including a 2001 on Sunday.

            Cheers,

            Bryan Pope