VCF East 2006

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2005
      How do you rate the InfoAge for the VCF 2 (hotels, load in, space, etc?)  Overall, and what are the pros and cons?  I think that we should avoid those things that caused the Amiga fest to be cancelled.
      Bill
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2005
        That's VCF East 3.0 -- last year in Boston was 2.0.  http://www.vintage.org/2004/east/

        I rate InfoAge very high!  There are plenty of hotels in the area (budget: Comfort Inn, Travelodge; nice -- Marriott).  There is a five-acre parking lot.  There's easy access from the NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and I-195.  There are big doors and loading areas -- after all this thing was a major Army research installation.  Therefore, there is even a nuclear fallout shelter in the basement.  (Seriously.)

        I heard that AmigaEast was cancelled becuase the organizer didn't have the $6,000 needed to secure the venue.  That is a non-issue, as our use of the facility would be zero, zilch, gratis, nada, FREE, for things like VCF and swap meets, as part of helping with the museum.

        Bill -- you're our Commodore insider -- were there other reasons for AmigaEast shutting down?

        The only real "con" I can think of is the lack of a local high-tech community.  The past U.S. VCF events were in Silicon Valley and metro Boston -- obviously plenty of ideal community there.  Then again, Trenton isn't exactly an engineer's dream, and that went great.

        How do you rate the InfoAge for the VCF 2 (hotels, load in, space, etc?)  Overall, and what are the pros and cons?  I think that we should avoid those things that caused the Amiga fest to be cancelled.
        Bill
      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2005
          Evan wrote:
          > That's VCF East 3.0 -- last year in Boston was 2.0.
          > http://www.vintage.org/2004/east/
          >
          > I rate InfoAge very high! There are plenty of hotels in the area
          > (budget: Comfort Inn, Travelodge; nice -- Marriott). There is a
          > five-acre parking lot. There's easy access from the NJ Turnpike, Garden
          > State Parkway, and I-195. There are big doors and loading areas --
          > after all this thing was a major Army research installation. Therefore,
          > there is even a nuclear fallout shelter in the basement. (Seriously.)

          So *could* there be a possibility of a VCF East this year??

          Cheers,

          Bryan Pope
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2005
            Probably not.

            However, I'm very optimistic about VCF East 3.0 in March 2006.

            On a side note, there is a major gaming event in Philadelphia, in mid-November.  http://www.vgxpo.com

            Bryan, where do you live?  I might be able to refer you to some local stuff.

            href="http://www.vintage.org/2004/east/">http://www.vintage.org/2004/east/

            Message 5 of 5 , May 9, 2005
              Evan wrote:
              > Probably not.
              >
              > However, I'm very optimistic about VCF East 3.0 in March 2006.
              >
              > On a side note, there is a major gaming event in Philadelphia, in
              > mid-November. http://www.vgxpo.com
              >
              > Bryan, where do you live? I might be able to refer you to some local stuff.

              Evan,

              I am currently living in Pemberton, NJ.. I wanted to go to the TCf but
              work got in the way. I think we have met before at the last VCF East -
              I put on a small display of Commodore PETs, including a 2001 on Sunday.

              Cheers,

              Bryan Pope