RE: [midatlanticretro] Classic MAC Plus Donation

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 23, 2006
      Ron,

      Did you mean "classic" in the generic sense, and therefore did you mean the
      1986 Mac Plus (here: http://tinyurl.com/y6sd88) or did you mean one of the
      variants of the Mac Classic series which began in 1990?

      - Evan

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 24, 2006
        Evan,
        This is a vintage 1987,MAC Plus,1MB,Model #M0001A with all the
        trimmings. I still marvel seeing all the Apple designers' signatures
        etched in the molded case! That's when Apple was really a different
        kind of computer company.

        Ron
        PS I need to find a battery replacement.

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 24, 2006
          That sounds display-worthy to me if you'd like to donate it.

          Anyone know how rare (or not) the original 1984 Mac is today? Jim O'Brien;
          Tom Owad?

          wrote:

          > Ron,
          >
          > Did you mean "classic" in the generic sense, and therefore did you
          mean the
          > 1986 Mac Plus (here: http://tinyurl.com/y6sd88) or did you mean one
          of the
          > variants of the Mac Classic series which began in 1990?
          >
          > - Evan

        • Timothy J Fagan
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 24, 2006
            Yeah... my Amiga 2000 (or was it the 1000?) had the developers'/designers' names all etched inside the case. Pretty cool stuff! :-)

            --Timster--

            --- In midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
            wrote:

            > Ron,
            >
            > Did you mean "classic" in the generic sense, and therefore did you
            mean the
            > 1986 Mac Plus (here: http://tinyurl. com/y6sd88) or did you mean one
            of the
            > variants of the Mac Classic series which began in 1990?
            >
            > - Evan

          • macmothership
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 25, 2006
              Tom - please add your two cents also. Rarity is a combination of production quantity and
              known or estimated surviving examples. I don't know the total production numbers on the
              1984 128k Mac (Tom?) but known and estimated surviving examples has to put this model
              in a category that shouldn't be considered "rare". Without looking, I'd guess you can buy
              one on eBay right now. However, this isn't to say that this computer isn't important in the
              evolution of the personal computer and collectable.
              At this point, I'd say that what could be considered "rare" and most desirable is a complete
              system in the original box and packaging. The early model before the (512k model) that
              said simply "Macintosh" on the back (not Macintosh 128k). These are not impossible to
              find, but clean and complete examples are not easy. They are expensive now, and will
              continue to hold or increase in value, in my opinion. They have those ingredients that
              make for value - not too many around, and lots of collectors that want one. Supply and
              demand.

              > That sounds display-worthy to me if you'd like to donate it.
              >
              > Anyone know how rare (or not) the original 1984 Mac is today? Jim O'Brien;
              > Tom Owad?

            • rkushnier
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 25, 2006
                OK!
                I just have to get the MAC to InfoAge. I guess this is the best way
                to transfer the equipment?? Let me know.

                Ron
              • rkushnier
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 25, 2006
                  Timster,

                  Speaking of Amiga, I just purchased a Pyramid MIDI serial interface
                  box on Ebay. It turns out it was designed specifically for the
                  Amiga, and receives its plus and minus 12 volt power from the Amiga
                  serial connector.
                  I tried feeding these voltages into the box from an external power
                  supply, but have not, as yet, been successful in interfacing to
                  either a MAC or a Windows machine.

                  Any suggestions?

                  Ron

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy J
                  Fagan" <tfagan@...> wrote:

                  > Yeah... my Amiga 2000 (or was it the 1000?) had the developers'/
                  designers' names all etched inside the case. Pretty cool stuff! :-)

                  > --Timster--

                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 25, 2006
                    Timothy J Fagan wrote:
                    > Yeah... my Amiga 2000 (or was it the 1000?) had the
                    > developers'/designers' names all etched inside the case. Pretty cool
                    > stuff! :-)
                    >
                    > --Timster--

                    Timster,

                    That would be the Amiga 1000, on the inside top of the case.

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan

                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 25, 2006
                      "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                      > That sounds display-worthy to me if you'd like to donate it.
                      >
                      > Anyone know how rare (or not) the original 1984 Mac is today? Jim
                      O'Brien;
                      > Tom Owad?

                      I sell old Mac equipment, via my Web site. Done it for years.

                      The Mac Plus is a good example of the early Macs, before they had
                      internal hard drives but after the much smaller-capacity original Mac
                      128K and Mac 512K. The Plus has a 800K floppy drive, up to 4 MB of
                      memory, and has a SCSI port for external SCSI drives. They are not
                      uncommon; but with age fewer are running today. The plastics and power
                      electronics are failing on them, the floppy drives are getting gummed
                      up. I service these so I know this.

                      Almost ALL the oldest Macs have the signatures inside. It would be
                      rare if they did NOT.

                      Prices on the 128K and other early Macs depend on COSMETIC CONDITION
                      first, working condition a close second. The 128K was first and so is
                      worth more. Some of them were upgraded to 512K or even Plus; I see
                      some "128K's" sold which are no longer really 128K's. Prices for
                      128K's are in the few hundreds of dollars in a general way, rather
                      than thousands. Plus value is much less, 512K in between. I don't
                      offer apprasials, I *CAN'T* without clues about the unit, and I don't
                      pretend to set collectable prices.

                      The Plus, 128K and 512K use a long 4.5V battery. It's not necesary for
                      operation, it just sets the date and a few screen settings. In fact
                      REMOVE THE BATTERY FOR STORAGE as it will EAT UP THE BATTERY
                      CONNECTIONS. Guaranteed. Order one through a national electronic parts
                      distributor like JameCo or DigiKey.

                      If one is displayed, it should be COVERED UP most of the time. The
                      plastics will turn the tan color to YELLOW or ORANGE. Sunlight or
                      fluorscent lights will do that, over 20 years or more. Again, value is
                      determined by COSMETICS, the less yellow the more value.

                      The early "9-inch" Macs are in my opinion important machines for
                      computing in the 1980's. I hope MARCH can obtain a few RUNNING
                      machines for demonstration and use. My Web site show almost all the
                      earilest models. Apple shows them ALL.

                      Herb Johnson

                      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 25, 2006
                        Ron,

                        It's best for us to find a common time. For me that won't be until
                        mid-November because I'm traveling to VCF (California) soon.

                        Can you bring it Saturday, Nov. 14? That is our next work day.

                        - EK

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 25, 2006
                          Electrical work and/or retrofitting electronics are not my fortes, sorry. :-)

                          Fagan" <tfagan@...> wrote:

                          > Yeah... my Amiga 2000 (or was it the 1000?) had the developers'/
                          designers' names all etched inside the case. Pretty cool stuff! :-)

                          > --Timster--

                        • Ray Sills
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 25, 2006
                            On Oct 25, 2006, at 12:31 PM, Herb Johnson wrote:

                            > The early "9-inch" Macs are in my opinion important machines for
                            > computing in the 1980's. I hope MARCH can obtain a few RUNNING
                            > machines for demonstration and use. My Web site show almost all the
                            > earilest models. Apple shows them ALL.

                            Hi Herb:

                            I donated a Mac Plus, and a Mac 128 that had been "upgraded" to 512K,
                            via a snap-on RAM package that also included a SCSI port. They were
                            working when last shut down... but not sure it that's still true.

                            Good idea on the battery. I didn't think of that.

                            73 de Ray
                          • rkushnier
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 26, 2006
                              Evan,
                              My Calendar says Nov. 14th is on a Tuesday. Saturday is either the
                              11th or the 18th. The 18th is my PACS meeting so I can't make it
                              then.

                              Please let me know the right InfoAge work date. If anyone lives near
                              Lower Bucks County, PA. I can drop the stuff off to them.

                              Thanks,
                              Ron

                              wrote:

                              > Ron,
                              >
                              > It's best for us to find a common time. For me that won't be until
                              > mid-November because I'm traveling to VCF (California) soon.
                              >
                              > Can you bring it Saturday, Nov. 14? That is our next work day.
                              >
                              > - EK

                            • Evan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 26, 2006
                                Oops. I meant the 11th.