Re: [midatlanticretro] Infoage visit report

    Message 1 of 9 , May 8 5:30 AM
      Evan,

      Two questions for those of you who made the InfoAge trip about MARCH running
      the computer museum:

      1 - Do they expect someone from MARCH to be on site whenever the museum is
      open?

      2 - What days of the week and hours would the museum be open?

      Running such a facility sounds like a full time operation. Do they have any
      paid staff? While having a safe place to display some collectable computers
      would be cool, this kind of project needs the full time attention of several
      people. How are you guys at fund raising? How many of you guys can work on
      this full time? [I say 'you guys' because I'm up here in Connecticut, too far
      for active participation in such a project.]

      Don't minimize the fund raising part of this. The museum will need lots of
      display cases, platforms, hand rails, etc., to house the exhibits. How much
      of this stuff is there now? How is InfoAge funded? (quantitiy and quality?)
      If they had all kinds of money, they would just hire a curator and some
      carpenters and be done with it.

      I don't really mean to rain on your parade. This does sound like a really fun
      project and we all know how much fun it is to tell people about old
      computers!

      Jim

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9 3:43 PM
        We didn't discuss staffing.  But they understand that we're all just casual collectors with lives and jobs, and that many (most) of us don't even live in New Jersey.  That is one reason why they'd like us to help devise very interactive exhibits.  No word about the hours either.  I will ask... they did mention long-term plans to hire a professional curator.

        InfoAge is currently funded by donations and some grants.  I don't know the gory details.

        It's safe to say that Andy and I both were somewhat thinking "these guys are in way over their heads!" at various times during the tour.  In that aspect, Jim, I fully agree with the implication -- there's a risk of biting off much more than we can chew.  But, again, I'm confident of the InfoAge crew's understanding that MARCH members are just a small band of local hobbyists.  The way they see it, we know more about vintage computers than anyone else in the region, and some help is better than no help.  They really emphasized the "we'll play they cards we're dealt" aspect.

        href="http://www.infoage.org/history.html">http://www.infoage.org/history.html -- check it out.)

> [...]
        >
        > Andy: that's all I
        have for now; do you wish to add anything; did I forget
        > anything
        important?

        > To all of MARCH: what say you?  Are we up to
        this unique challenge?  I vote
        > "hell yes!"...
        >
        >  - Evan
        >
        > PS -- Fred and other Infoage people are
        around almost every weekend, if
        > anyone else would like a tour.
        >
        > PS #2 -- Andy took some photos and will upload them soon.

        >  Evan Koblentz's
        personal homepage: http://www.snarc.net

        > *** Tell
        your friends about the (free!) Computer Collector Newsletter
        > - 700
        readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
        > -
        Mainframes to videogames, hardware and software, we cover it all
        href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 9 , May 10 6:06 PM
          Heard back from Fred, re: how he envisions the computer museum operating.  He said:

> [...]

          To me that's the right answer...

          Anybody have related or generic thoughts on how (or if) we should operate a club museum?

          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Andy: that's all I
          have for now; do you wish to add anything; did I forget
          > anything
          important?

          > To all of MARCH: what say you?  Are we up to
          this unique challenge?  I vote
          > "hell yes!"...
          >
          >  - Evan
          >
          > PS -- Fred and other Infoage people are
          around almost every weekend, if
          > anyone else would like a tour.
          >
          > PS #2 -- Andy took some photos and will upload them soon.

          >  Evan Koblentz's
          personal homepage: http://www.snarc.net

          > *** Tell
          your friends about the (free!) Computer Collector Newsletter
          > - 700
          readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
          > -
          Mainframes to videogames, hardware and software, we cover it all

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 9 , May 11 5:57 AM
            Evan,

            Now if you could get somebody like Walter Cronkite or James Earl Jones to narrate a dialogue about the various computers would be great. Have it recorded on a PC where someobdy could just press a button beside each exhibit for playback. Maybe the Infoage folks might have some connections to get somebody like that.

            Dan

            Message 5 of 9 , May 11 7:08 AM
              Dan and all,

              The recorded descriptions for each exhibit is a great idea to supplement
              printed signs. I'm not certain Darth Vader is quite what we want. "This is
              the control room of the Death Star. Commander, you may fire at will." ;-) We
              could all record descriptions of different exhibits so there is variety. As
              for Conkite, I'll record a couple with a clothes pin on my nose - or is that
              Mister Rogers? So what would the exhibits be? I'm starting to see how this
              could work, and not everyone needs to be next door in New Jersey.

              Jim

              ---------------------------------

              operating. He said:

              first. We willstart opening it on a regular basis as we can. It takes time to
              buildattendance. The goal is to make it interactive so we do not need
              clubmembers / experts to convey the message/information. Plus, once wecapture
              the info from the experts their hard work and knowledge doesnot get lost.

              To me that's the right answer...

              Anybody have related or generic thoughts onhow (or if) we should operate a
              club museum?

              ---------------------------------

              > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

            • Evan
              Message 6 of 9 , May 11 9:17 AM
                How about Grandpa Simpson?  "Back in my day, computers ran on steam, and they weren't called computers, they were called adding machines, and 'computers' meant 'people' and <SNORE....>" / "What!?  Who's there?  What's that about the Windows crashing?" / "Awww... no one appreciates old people... damn whippersnappers and their PCs."

                --

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 9 , May 13 6:13 AM

                  Just so long as you don't get Jar Jar Binks........."Mesa hating crunchin 'puters. Dats da last ting mesa wantin"

                  Dan

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 13 11:34 AM
                    <chuckle>

                    --- Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

                    Just so long as you don't get Jar Jar Binks........."Mesa hatingcrunchin
                    'puters. Dats da last ting mesa wantin"

                    Dan

                    Evan wrote: How about Grandpa Simpson? "Back in my day,computers ran