Infoage visit report

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2005
      Hi all,

      Here's the InfoAge trip report.

      But first: who posted the photo titled "1950s vision of home computers" to
      our Yahoo group? I'm sorry to tell you this, mysterious poster, but that
      photo was just a joke that circulated the 'net several months ago. Bottom
      line, it's fake, and you were duped.

      ...On to more exciting matters: today (well technically yesterday; it's 4am
      Sunday right now), Andy and I visited the Infoage Learning Center. Fred
      Carl, who directs the whole operation, gave us a two-hour tour of the
      campus. The relevant history stems from the campus' days as a U.S. Army
      research facility, although at various other times the area was a Christian
      college and a private development tract dominanted by the KKK. (Luckily the
      latter group failed.) It's poetic justice that the facility now is an
      official black history site. We saw the insides of several buildings, many
      closely resembling the original layouts. Around almost every corner, Fred
      pointed out some famous (and some infamous) aspects of military and/or radio
      history, many of which were top-secret during wartime. Eventually, Andy
      said he felt like looking over his shoulder for ghosts! (There's an
      official history at http://www.infoage.org/history.html -- check it out.)

      The campus is huge, and "campus" is the right word -- it's a very park-like
      setting complete with a building referred to as the "hotel" were engineers
      and other military people lived in dorm-like environments. There was a
      dining hall, recreation facilities, etc. We also toured the administrator's
      house, which (if I recall correctly) will become the National Broadcasters
      Hall of Fame. Another cool attraction there is a massive dish antenna.

      Another building, which I forget the name of, houses where the technology
      museum(s) will be. (Andy -- was that part of the hotel?) There will be
      areas for diving technology (also with stuff they found in the Atlantic
      Ocean, like U-boat things and even locomotives); radar and all sorts of
      radio things; stuff related to military culture; and office space for
      various science-related non-profit associations. And, the part you MARCHers
      really care about: the computer museum.

      The room where they'll house the computer museum was about the size of a
      small gymnasium or ballroom. I apologize for not measuring it. Best of
      all, as I explained in a previously group message, they're about to inherit
      an existing large collection from Dimitry Grabbe and the IEEE (more about
      that at http://www.infoage.org/grabbe.htm -- check that out, too). Fred
      gave us a detailed list of what's in the collection. The list includes one
      full page of vintage computers and five more pages listing random
      components. Of the complete systems, some of the highlights are from DEC
      (PDP 8/8, various Vax, PDP-11 stuff); a Friden 132 calculator; various HP
      2000 and 9000 stuff; some NEC and Osborne portable stuff; a few Textronics
      systems, and -- in my opinion what are the two most amazing things -- a
      Prime mainframe and (saving the best for last here) -- what MIGHT be part of
      an ENIAC adder.....!!!

      So, here's where we come in: Infoage wanted to find a group of local people
      to run the computer museum. They want that group to interact with visitors,
      children, the other resident technology history organizations, the media,
      etc. As it turns out, just as Infoage was beginning to wonder who'd fill
      this role, MARCH was founded. Then, by coincidence, both Infoage (via
      NJARC) and MARCH did the TCF thing; we also had some mutual contacts at the
      IEEE History Center. Talk about good luck. Fred explained to Andy and I
      that Infoage's board demands and expects nothing except that we try our
      best, if we accept this task. (Of course our club name would be a major
      part of the museum. We wouldn't merely be Infoage volunteers; it would be
      something like "MARCH @ InfoAge" or whatever.) Not only would be have
      control of the computer museum and be the local experts, we'd also get to
      store our own collections there if desired (they have excellent loading
      facilities, etc.), and we'd be allowed to hold events there, such as swap
      meets and the eventual VCF East. They'd like us to help develop interactive
      exhibits, basically just web pages running on standard PCs adjacent to each
      display. So, for example, if we started the museum with 20 exhibit
      categories, we could each take the lead of two or three categories, and that
      would be easy enough to accomplish in a few months' time.

      Andy: that's all I have for now; do you wish to add anything; did I forget
      anything important?

      To all of MARCH: what say you? Are we up to this unique challenge? I vote
      "hell yes!"...

      - Evan

      PS -- Fred and other Infoage people are around almost every weekend, if
      anyone else would like a tour.

      PS #2 -- Andy took some photos and will upload them soon.

      - 700 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2005
        Evan,

        Two questions for those of you who made the InfoAge trip about MARCH running
        the computer museum:

        1 - Do they expect someone from MARCH to be on site whenever the museum is
        open?

        2 - What days of the week and hours would the museum be open?

        Running such a facility sounds like a full time operation. Do they have any
        paid staff? While having a safe place to display some collectable computers
        would be cool, this kind of project needs the full time attention of several
        people. How are you guys at fund raising? How many of you guys can work on
        this full time? [I say 'you guys' because I'm up here in Connecticut, too far
        for active participation in such a project.]

        Don't minimize the fund raising part of this. The museum will need lots of
        display cases, platforms, hand rails, etc., to house the exhibits. How much
        of this stuff is there now? How is InfoAge funded? (quantitiy and quality?)
        If they had all kinds of money, they would just hire a curator and some
        carpenters and be done with it.

        I don't really mean to rain on your parade. This does sound like a really fun
        project and we all know how much fun it is to tell people about old
        computers!

        Jim

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2005
          We didn't discuss staffing.  But they understand that we're all just casual collectors with lives and jobs, and that many (most) of us don't even live in New Jersey.  That is one reason why they'd like us to help devise very interactive exhibits.  No word about the hours either.  I will ask... they did mention long-term plans to hire a professional curator.

          InfoAge is currently funded by donations and some grants.  I don't know the gory details.

          It's safe to say that Andy and I both were somewhat thinking "these guys are in way over their heads!" at various times during the tour.  In that aspect, Jim, I fully agree with the implication -- there's a risk of biting off much more than we can chew.  But, again, I'm confident of the InfoAge crew's understanding that MARCH members are just a small band of local hobbyists.  The way they see it, we know more about vintage computers than anyone else in the region, and some help is better than no help.  They really emphasized the "we'll play they cards we're dealt" aspect.

          href="http://www.infoage.org/history.html">http://www.infoage.org/history.html -- check it out.)

> [...]
          >
          > Andy: that's all I
          have for now; do you wish to add anything; did I forget
          > anything
          important?

          > To all of MARCH: what say you?  Are we up to
          this unique challenge?  I vote
          > "hell yes!"...
          >
          >  - Evan
          >
          > PS -- Fred and other Infoage people are
          around almost every weekend, if
          > anyone else would like a tour.
          >
          > PS #2 -- Andy took some photos and will upload them soon.

          >  Evan Koblentz's
          personal homepage: http://www.snarc.net

          > *** Tell
          your friends about the (free!) Computer Collector Newsletter
          > - 700
          readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
          > -
          Mainframes to videogames, hardware and software, we cover it all
          href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 9 , May 10, 2005
            Heard back from Fred, re: how he envisions the computer museum operating.  He said:

> [...]

            To me that's the right answer...

            Anybody have related or generic thoughts on how (or if) we should operate a club museum?

            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > Andy: that's all I
            have for now; do you wish to add anything; did I forget
            > anything
            important?

            > To all of MARCH: what say you?  Are we up to
            this unique challenge?  I vote
            > "hell yes!"...
            >
            >  - Evan
            >
            > PS -- Fred and other Infoage people are
            around almost every weekend, if
            > anyone else would like a tour.
            >
            > PS #2 -- Andy took some photos and will upload them soon.

            >  Evan Koblentz's
            personal homepage: http://www.snarc.net

            > *** Tell
            your friends about the (free!) Computer Collector Newsletter
            > - 700
            readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
            > -
            Mainframes to videogames, hardware and software, we cover it all

          • Dan
            Message 5 of 9 , May 11, 2005
              Evan,

              Now if you could get somebody like Walter Cronkite or James Earl Jones to narrate a dialogue about the various computers would be great. Have it recorded on a PC where someobdy could just press a button beside each exhibit for playback. Maybe the Infoage folks might have some connections to get somebody like that.

              Dan

              Message 6 of 9 , May 11, 2005
                Dan and all,

                The recorded descriptions for each exhibit is a great idea to supplement
                printed signs. I'm not certain Darth Vader is quite what we want. "This is
                the control room of the Death Star. Commander, you may fire at will." ;-) We
                could all record descriptions of different exhibits so there is variety. As
                for Conkite, I'll record a couple with a clothes pin on my nose - or is that
                Mister Rogers? So what would the exhibits be? I'm starting to see how this
                could work, and not everyone needs to be next door in New Jersey.

                Jim

                ---------------------------------

                operating. He said:

                first. We willstart opening it on a regular basis as we can. It takes time to
                buildattendance. The goal is to make it interactive so we do not need
                clubmembers / experts to convey the message/information. Plus, once wecapture
                the info from the experts their hard work and knowledge doesnot get lost.

                To me that's the right answer...

                Anybody have related or generic thoughts onhow (or if) we should operate a
                club museum?

                ---------------------------------

                > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

              • Evan
                Message 7 of 9 , May 11, 2005
                  How about Grandpa Simpson?  "Back in my day, computers ran on steam, and they weren't called computers, they were called adding machines, and 'computers' meant 'people' and <SNORE....>" / "What!?  Who's there?  What's that about the Windows crashing?" / "Awww... no one appreciates old people... damn whippersnappers and their PCs."

                  --

                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 13, 2005

                    Just so long as you don't get Jar Jar Binks........."Mesa hating crunchin 'puters. Dats da last ting mesa wantin"

                    Dan

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 13, 2005
                      <chuckle>

                      --- Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:

                      Just so long as you don't get Jar Jar Binks........."Mesa hatingcrunchin
                      'puters. Dats da last ting mesa wantin"

                      Dan

                      Evan wrote: How about Grandpa Simpson? "Back in my day,computers ran