Re: New Items for Swap Meet or InfoAge

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
      OK. I planned to bring these items (below) to the swap meet, but we
      can discuss what not to bring. The items are about 1/2 mile from the
      event at my office and a decision can be made Friday.
      bd

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...>
      wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > And the Banyan server! Is there any software or documentation on
      this?

      > The Token Ring MAU should go to the museum along with the Kinetics
      model KFPS-4 Ethernet-->Apple Talk boxes.

      > These items can go from your van into my wagon and bypass the trip
      upstars. Or maybe I could come over to your house after the swap to
      pick up these things.

      > I plan to drive down on Friday, I can call you when I'm close
      enough to estimate an ETA.

      > Jim

      software. StreetTalk was the first directory-based LAN OS. There is a
      lot of interesting history surrounding this. After polluting my
      basement for a while I would move it to the museum. I'd like to build
      the most convoluted network possible in the museum as a demonstration
      of "vintage LANs and protocols". When you look at these vintage LAN
      products, it's easy to see why TCP/IP on Ethernet won. Banyan is a
      good example of a great product where the company shot itself in the
      foot. (The Tandy of networks.)

      > 2. Is the Wangwriter a multi-user system? Do you have any
      terminals? This might be a good choice for the museum as an example
      of the pinacle of the "word processor era". [FWTW, WangNet was
      possibly the most difficult to install and run networks ever sold.
      Naturally GF chose it as the backbone for LANs in the 'new'
      headquarters because it was broadband and thus supported video
      distribution as well as data. At best it barely supported the Wang
      word processors.]

      > 3. sell it
      >
      > 4. Is this a TokenRing MAU? If so, it's museum material.
      >
      > 5. I'm not sure what this is but I suspect it is the
      hardware 'license key" Novell used as copy protection. If that's
      correct, please hang on to it for the museum. We may need it.

      > 6. Is this a ThinNET (coax) device or is it for StarLAN (early
      1Mbps twisted pair LAN)? Either way, let's keep it.