Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Next work day at InfoAge: Sat., Oct. 14

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
      I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
      comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
      are still covered? If we are really serious as a group about preserving
      these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
      off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
      be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
      objects.
      Bill

      At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

      >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
      ><blueringice@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Evan:
      >>
      >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
      >> Computer to InfoAge.
      >>
      >> Nick Lordi
      >>

      >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
      >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
      >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
      >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
      >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
      >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
      >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
      >
      >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
      >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
      >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
      >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
      >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
      >litter.
      >
      >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
      >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
      >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
      >
      >Herb Johnson
      >
      >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
      >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
      >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
      >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      -- E N D --
    • Jeffrey Frady
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
        Perhaps a good demudifier should be brought in to keep out moisture?

        On 29/09/06, B Degnan <billdeg@... > wrote:
        I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
        comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
        are still covered?  If we are really serious as a group about preserving
        these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
        off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
        be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
        objects.
        Bill

        At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

        >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
        ><blueringice@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Evan:
        >>
        >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
        >> Computer to InfoAge.
        >>
        >> Nick Lordi
        >>

        >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
        >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
        >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
        >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
        >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
        >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
        >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
        >
        >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
        >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
        >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
        >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
        >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
        >litter.
        >
        >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
        >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
        >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
        >
        >Herb Johnson
        >
        >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
        >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
        >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
        >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        -- E N D --

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto: midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
          Herb's right, but Nick, if I remember correctly you said the computer's in
          good cosmetic condition -- which means we'll put it directly into our
          preview room instead of into storage.

          href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
            I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.

            Perhaps a good demudifier should be brought in to keep out moisture?

            On 29/09/06, B Degnan <billdeg@... > wrote:
            I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
            comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
            are still covered?  If we are really serious as a group about preserving
            these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
            off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
            be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
            objects.
            Bill

            At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

            >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
            ><blueringice@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Evan:
            >>
            >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
            >> Computer to InfoAge.
            >>
            >> Nick Lordi
            >>

            >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
            >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
            >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
            >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
            >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
            >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
            >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
            >
            >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
            >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
            >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
            >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
            >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
            >litter.
            >
            >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
            >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
            >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
            >
            >Herb Johnson
            >
            >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
            >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
            >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
            >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            -- E N D --

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto: midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
              On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.
              >
              > _____

              I've never seen a demudifier before - is that what they use to clean up
              after floods? :-)

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                They're precious commodities in Elbonia!

                On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.
                >
                > _____

                The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014
                http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                  Hello all,

                  These are all good ideas. The computers should be IN the plastic bags to stop moisture coming up from the floor. A dehumidifier is a great idea, particularly for the basement stioprage area. It would need a hose to drain the water to a floor drain so it could actually run for more than an hour at a time.

                  Jim