Re: Next work day at InfoAge: Sat., Oct. 14

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 29 8:22 AM
      --- "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

      > Put it on your calendars ... Saturday, Oct. 14 will be our next day
      to work
      > at InfoAge. Start at 10AM like last time.
      >
      > Tentative plan:....
      > Also finish restoring the three mini-exhibits that we got from the
      patent
      > office (Kilby, Noyce, Forrester)

      I hope I'll be able to attend, I may have a conflict which I can't
      resolve until late that week. Evan, to finish the "mini-exhibits" I
      worked on, I need measurements of the fronts which I removed from
      them. I will replace them with plywood panels painted black, and with
      hinges. It will take less time to do that PLUS the panels removed are
      in poor condition.

      Please measure the panels we stored (preferable), or measure the
      fronts of the exhibits, so I can bring pre-cut and painted panels.
      Worst case, I can drop those off for you or others to install. I doubt
      it will cost more than $15 to do this, consider it a donation.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29 8:32 AM
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
        <blueringice@...> wrote:

        > Evan:
        >
        > Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
        > Computer to InfoAge.
        >
        > Nick Lordi

        My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
        electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
        recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
        transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
        contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
        is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
        whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.

        If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
        to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
        of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
        in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
        that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
        litter.

        The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
        humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
        string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 29 8:52 AM
          I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
          comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
          are still covered? If we are really serious as a group about preserving
          these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
          off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
          be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
          objects.
          Bill

          At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

          >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
          ><blueringice@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Evan:
          >>
          >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
          >> Computer to InfoAge.
          >>
          >> Nick Lordi
          >>

          >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
          >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
          >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
          >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
          >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
          >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
          >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
          >
          >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
          >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
          >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
          >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
          >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
          >litter.
          >
          >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
          >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
          >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
          >
          >Herb Johnson
          >
          >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
          >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
          >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
          >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          -- E N D --
        • Jeffrey Frady
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29 10:37 AM
            Perhaps a good demudifier should be brought in to keep out moisture?

            On 29/09/06, B Degnan <billdeg@... > wrote:
            I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
            comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
            are still covered?  If we are really serious as a group about preserving
            these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
            off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
            be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
            objects.
            Bill

            At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

            >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
            ><blueringice@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Evan:
            >>
            >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
            >> Computer to InfoAge.
            >>
            >> Nick Lordi
            >>

            >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
            >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
            >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
            >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
            >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
            >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
            >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
            >
            >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
            >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
            >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
            >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
            >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
            >litter.
            >
            >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
            >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
            >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
            >
            >Herb Johnson
            >
            >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
            >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
            >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
            >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            -- E N D --

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto: midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29 10:41 AM
              Herb's right, but Nick, if I remember correctly you said the computer's in
              good cosmetic condition -- which means we'll put it directly into our
              preview room instead of into storage.

              href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29 11:04 AM
                I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.

                Perhaps a good demudifier should be brought in to keep out moisture?

                On 29/09/06, B Degnan <billdeg@... > wrote:
                I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
                comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
                are still covered?  If we are really serious as a group about preserving
                these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
                off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
                be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
                objects.
                Bill

                At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

                >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
                ><blueringice@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Evan:
                >>
                >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
                >> Computer to InfoAge.
                >>
                >> Nick Lordi
                >>

                >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
                >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
                >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
                >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
                >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
                >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
                >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
                >
                >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
                >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
                >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
                >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
                >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
                >litter.
                >
                >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
                >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
                >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
                >
                >Herb Johnson
                >
                >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
                >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
                >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
                >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
                >
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                -- E N D --

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto: midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 29 11:17 AM
                  On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.
                  >
                  > _____

                  I've never seen a demudifier before - is that what they use to clean up
                  after floods? :-)

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29 11:39 AM
                    They're precious commodities in Elbonia!

                    On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.
                    >
                    > _____

                    The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014
                    http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                      Hello all,

                      These are all good ideas. The computers should be IN the plastic bags to stop moisture coming up from the floor. A dehumidifier is a great idea, particularly for the basement stioprage area. It would need a hose to drain the water to a floor drain so it could actually run for more than an hour at a time.

                      Jim