Re: [midatlanticretro] Next work day at InfoAge: Sat., Oct. 14

  • Jeffrey Frady
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
      Stop scheduling work days the same as lan-parties!  I will see if I can get my friend to change the lan-party date.

      On 26/09/06, Evan Koblentz < evan@...> wrote:

      Put it on your calendars ... Saturday, Oct. 14 will be our next day to work
      at InfoAge. Start at 10AM like last time.

      Tentative plan: paint the first museum room that we cleared and cleaned last
      time, clear and clean the second room. (We have three rooms to start with.)
      Also finish restoring the three mini-exhibits that we got from the patent
      office (Kilby, Noyce, Forrester), and clean / repair our three new (well,
      new used) display cases.

      Now that our storage room has a lock, people can start bringing anything
      that they were reluctant to leave unsecured in the past.

      Also: the guy from that Star Trek event didn't come through. I tried.
      Sorry.

      - Evan

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
        I simply picked my next available weekend day.

        This Saturday: I'm moving
        This Sunday: I can't do much of anything because of Yom Kippur
        Next Saturday: swap meet

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 28, 2006
          Evan:

          Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
          Computer to InfoAge.

          Nick Lordi

          wrote:

          > Put it on your calendars ... Saturday, Oct. 14 will be our next
          day to work
          > at InfoAge. Start at 10AM like last time.
          >
          > Tentative plan: paint the first museum room that we cleared and
          cleaned last
          > time, clear and clean the second room. (We have three rooms to
          start with.)
          > Also finish restoring the three mini-exhibits that we got from the
          patent
          > office (Kilby, Noyce, Forrester), and clean / repair our three new
          (well,
          > new used) display cases.
          >
          > Now that our storage room has a lock, people can start bringing
          anything
          > that they were reluctant to leave unsecured in the past.
          >
          > Also: the guy from that Star Trek event didn't come through. I
          tried.
          > Sorry.
          >
          > - Evan

        • blueringice
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 28, 2006

            wrote:

            > Put it on your calendars ... Saturday, Oct. 14 will be our next
            day to work
            > at InfoAge. Start at 10AM like last time.
            >
            > Tentative plan: paint the first museum room that we cleared and
            cleaned last
            > time, clear and clean the second room. (We have three rooms to
            start with.)
            > Also finish restoring the three mini-exhibits that we got from the
            patent
            > office (Kilby, Noyce, Forrester), and clean / repair our three new
            (well,
            > new used) display cases.
            >
            > Now that our storage room has a lock, people can start bringing
            anything
            > that they were reluctant to leave unsecured in the past.
            >
            > Also: the guy from that Star Trek event didn't come through. I
            tried.
            > Sorry.
            >
            > - Evan

          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
              --- "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

              > Put it on your calendars ... Saturday, Oct. 14 will be our next day
              to work
              > at InfoAge. Start at 10AM like last time.
              >
              > Tentative plan:....
              > Also finish restoring the three mini-exhibits that we got from the
              patent
              > office (Kilby, Noyce, Forrester)

              I hope I'll be able to attend, I may have a conflict which I can't
              resolve until late that week. Evan, to finish the "mini-exhibits" I
              worked on, I need measurements of the fronts which I removed from
              them. I will replace them with plywood panels painted black, and with
              hinges. It will take less time to do that PLUS the panels removed are
              in poor condition.

              Please measure the panels we stored (preferable), or measure the
              fronts of the exhibits, so I can bring pre-cut and painted panels.
              Worst case, I can drop those off for you or others to install. I doubt
              it will cost more than $15 to do this, consider it a donation.

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
                <blueringice@...> wrote:

                > Evan:
                >
                > Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
                > Computer to InfoAge.
                >
                > Nick Lordi

                My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
                electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
                recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
                transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
                contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
                is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
                whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.

                If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
                to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
                of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
                in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
                that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
                litter.

                The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
                humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
                string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                  I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
                  comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
                  are still covered? If we are really serious as a group about preserving
                  these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
                  off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
                  be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
                  objects.
                  Bill

                  At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

                  >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
                  ><blueringice@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Evan:
                  >>
                  >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
                  >> Computer to InfoAge.
                  >>
                  >> Nick Lordi
                  >>

                  >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
                  >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
                  >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
                  >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
                  >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
                  >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
                  >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
                  >
                  >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
                  >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
                  >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
                  >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
                  >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
                  >litter.
                  >
                  >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
                  >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
                  >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
                  >
                  >Herb Johnson
                  >
                  >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                  >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
                  >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
                  >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
                  >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
                  >
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  -- E N D --
                • Jeffrey Frady
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                    Perhaps a good demudifier should be brought in to keep out moisture?

                    On 29/09/06, B Degnan <billdeg@... > wrote:
                    I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
                    comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
                    are still covered?  If we are really serious as a group about preserving
                    these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
                    off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
                    be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
                    objects.
                    Bill

                    At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

                    >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
                    ><blueringice@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Evan:
                    >>
                    >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
                    >> Computer to InfoAge.
                    >>
                    >> Nick Lordi
                    >>

                    >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
                    >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
                    >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
                    >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
                    >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
                    >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
                    >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
                    >
                    >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
                    >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
                    >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
                    >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
                    >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
                    >litter.
                    >
                    >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
                    >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
                    >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
                    >
                    >Herb Johnson
                    >
                    >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                    >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
                    >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
                    >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
                    >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
                    >
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    -- E N D --

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        mailto: midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                      Herb's right, but Nick, if I remember correctly you said the computer's in
                      good cosmetic condition -- which means we'll put it directly into our
                      preview room instead of into storage.

                      href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                        I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.

                        Perhaps a good demudifier should be brought in to keep out moisture?

                        On 29/09/06, B Degnan <billdeg@... > wrote:
                        I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
                        comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
                        are still covered?  If we are really serious as a group about preserving
                        these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
                        off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
                        be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
                        objects.
                        Bill

                        At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

                        >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
                        ><blueringice@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Evan:
                        >>
                        >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
                        >> Computer to InfoAge.
                        >>
                        >> Nick Lordi
                        >>

                        >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
                        >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
                        >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
                        >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
                        >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
                        >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
                        >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
                        >
                        >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
                        >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
                        >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
                        >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
                        >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
                        >litter.
                        >
                        >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
                        >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
                        >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
                        >
                        >Herb Johnson
                        >
                        >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                        >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
                        >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
                        >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
                        >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
                        >
                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        -- E N D --

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            mailto: midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                          On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                          > I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.
                          >
                          > _____

                          I've never seen a demudifier before - is that what they use to clean up
                          after floods? :-)

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                            They're precious commodities in Elbonia!

                            On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                            > I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.
                            >
                            > _____

                            The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014
                            http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                              Hello all,

                              These are all good ideas. The computers should be IN the plastic bags to stop moisture coming up from the floor. A dehumidifier is a great idea, particularly for the basement stioprage area. It would need a hose to drain the water to a floor drain so it could actually run for more than an hour at a time.

                              Jim