Next work day at InfoAge: Sat., Oct. 14

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
      Put it on your calendars ... Saturday, Oct. 14 will be our next day to work
      at InfoAge. Start at 10AM like last time.

      Tentative plan: paint the first museum room that we cleared and cleaned last
      time, clear and clean the second room. (We have three rooms to start with.)
      Also finish restoring the three mini-exhibits that we got from the patent
      office (Kilby, Noyce, Forrester), and clean / repair our three new (well,
      new used) display cases.

      Now that our storage room has a lock, people can start bringing anything
      that they were reluctant to leave unsecured in the past.

      Also: the guy from that Star Trek event didn't come through. I tried.
      Sorry.

      - Evan
    • Jeffrey Frady

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
          I simply picked my next available weekend day.

          This Saturday: I'm moving
          This Sunday: I can't do much of anything because of Yom Kippur
          Next Saturday: swap meet

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 28, 2006
            Evan:

            Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
            Computer to InfoAge.

            Nick Lordi

            wrote:

            > Put it on your calendars ... Saturday, Oct. 14 will be our next
            day to work
            > at InfoAge. Start at 10AM like last time.
            >
            > Tentative plan: paint the first museum room that we cleared and
            cleaned last
            > time, clear and clean the second room. (We have three rooms to
            start with.)
            > Also finish restoring the three mini-exhibits that we got from the
            patent
            > office (Kilby, Noyce, Forrester), and clean / repair our three new
            (well,
            > new used) display cases.
            >
            > Now that our storage room has a lock, people can start bringing
            anything
            > that they were reluctant to leave unsecured in the past.
            >
            > Also: the guy from that Star Trek event didn't come through. I
            tried.
            > Sorry.
            >
            > - Evan

          • blueringice
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 28, 2006

              wrote:

              > Put it on your calendars ... Saturday, Oct. 14 will be our next
              day to work
              > at InfoAge. Start at 10AM like last time.
              >
              > Tentative plan: paint the first museum room that we cleared and
              cleaned last
              > time, clear and clean the second room. (We have three rooms to
              start with.)
              > Also finish restoring the three mini-exhibits that we got from the
              patent
              > office (Kilby, Noyce, Forrester), and clean / repair our three new
              (well,
              > new used) display cases.
              >
              > Now that our storage room has a lock, people can start bringing
              anything
              > that they were reluctant to leave unsecured in the past.
              >
              > Also: the guy from that Star Trek event didn't come through. I
              tried.
              > Sorry.
              >
              > - Evan

            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                --- "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                > Put it on your calendars ... Saturday, Oct. 14 will be our next day
                to work
                > at InfoAge. Start at 10AM like last time.
                >
                > Tentative plan:....
                > Also finish restoring the three mini-exhibits that we got from the
                patent
                > office (Kilby, Noyce, Forrester)

                I hope I'll be able to attend, I may have a conflict which I can't
                resolve until late that week. Evan, to finish the "mini-exhibits" I
                worked on, I need measurements of the fronts which I removed from
                them. I will replace them with plywood panels painted black, and with
                hinges. It will take less time to do that PLUS the panels removed are
                in poor condition.

                Please measure the panels we stored (preferable), or measure the
                fronts of the exhibits, so I can bring pre-cut and painted panels.
                Worst case, I can drop those off for you or others to install. I doubt
                it will cost more than $15 to do this, consider it a donation.

                Herb Johnson

                Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
                  <blueringice@...> wrote:

                  > Evan:
                  >
                  > Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
                  > Computer to InfoAge.
                  >
                  > Nick Lordi

                  My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
                  electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
                  recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
                  transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
                  contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
                  is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
                  whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.

                  If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
                  to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
                  of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
                  in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
                  that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
                  litter.

                  The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
                  humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
                  string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                    I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
                    comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
                    are still covered? If we are really serious as a group about preserving
                    these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
                    off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
                    be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
                    objects.
                    Bill

                    At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

                    >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
                    ><blueringice@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Evan:
                    >>
                    >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
                    >> Computer to InfoAge.
                    >>
                    >> Nick Lordi
                    >>

                    >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
                    >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
                    >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
                    >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
                    >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
                    >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
                    >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
                    >
                    >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
                    >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
                    >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
                    >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
                    >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
                    >litter.
                    >
                    >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
                    >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
                    >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
                    >
                    >Herb Johnson
                    >
                    >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                    >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
                    >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
                    >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
                    >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
                    >
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    -- E N D --
                  • Jeffrey Frady
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                      Perhaps a good demudifier should be brought in to keep out moisture?

                      On 29/09/06, B Degnan <billdeg@... > wrote:
                      I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
                      comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
                      are still covered?  If we are really serious as a group about preserving
                      these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
                      off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
                      be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
                      objects.
                      Bill

                      At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

                      >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
                      ><blueringice@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Evan:
                      >>
                      >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
                      >> Computer to InfoAge.
                      >>
                      >> Nick Lordi
                      >>

                      >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
                      >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
                      >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
                      >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
                      >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
                      >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
                      >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
                      >
                      >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
                      >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
                      >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
                      >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
                      >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
                      >litter.
                      >
                      >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
                      >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
                      >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
                      >
                      >Herb Johnson
                      >
                      >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                      >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
                      >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
                      >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
                      >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
                      >
                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      -- E N D --

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          mailto: midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                        Herb's right, but Nick, if I remember correctly you said the computer's in
                        good cosmetic condition -- which means we'll put it directly into our
                        preview room instead of into storage.

                        href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                          I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.

                          Perhaps a good demudifier should be brought in to keep out moisture?

                          On 29/09/06, B Degnan <billdeg@... > wrote:
                          I went through two boxes of clear trash bags and covered as many
                          comptuers as I could at Info Age...the question is, how many of these
                          are still covered?  If we are really serious as a group about preserving
                          these computers, and if we really want to encourage people to drop
                          off anything other than junk cluttering their garages, we need to
                          be able to prove that we have a "safe" room for the most valuable
                          objects.
                          Bill

                          At Friday, 29 September 2006, you wrote:

                          >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "blueringice"
                          ><blueringice@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Evan:
                          >>
                          >> Oct. 14th would be a good day to transfer the EAI TR20 Analog
                          >> Computer to InfoAge.
                          >>
                          >> Nick Lordi
                          >>

                          >My modest experience with analog computers is that they have a lot of
                          >electrical contacts, which makes them a candidate for corrosion. I
                          >recommend that this computer be "bagged" while in storage. There are
                          >transparent garbage/leaf bags which can do this job without hiding the
                          >contents. There is no insult in using such bags, any more than there
                          >is in putting computers in boxes marked "laundry detergent" or
                          >whatever. I use such bags myself for my storage of computers.
                          >
                          >If anyone is particularly motivated, you can add a sock with dessicant
                          >to the bag. The sock allows moisture to pass. I suggest you buy a form
                          >of cat litter which uses small translucent pellets to asorb moisture;
                          >in fact that material is like "silica jel" and is otherwise used for
                          >that very purpose. Not clay, wheat, pine or woodchips; not clumping
                          >litter.
                          >
                          >The above is not a joke. Perservation is a serious business, and
                          >humidity is a constant problem in New Jersey. If this produces a
                          >string of cat litter comments I won't post such advice again.
                          >
                          >Herb Johnson
                          >
                          >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                          >my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
                          >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
                          >"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
                          >S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"
                          >
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          -- E N D --

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              mailto: midatlanticretro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                            On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                            > I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.
                            >
                            > _____

                            I've never seen a demudifier before - is that what they use to clean up
                            after floods? :-)

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 29, 2006
                              They're precious commodities in Elbonia!

                              On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                              > I think InfoAge has one or two which we can borrow.
                              >
                              > _____

                              The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014
                              http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                                Hello all,

                                These are all good ideas. The computers should be IN the plastic bags to stop moisture coming up from the floor. A dehumidifier is a great idea, particularly for the basement stioprage area. It would need a hose to drain the water to a floor drain so it could actually run for more than an hour at a time.

                                Jim