Unsubscribed?!!?

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 22 5:50 AM
      I just found out that I was unsubscribed from this list! :( Does anyone
      know how this happened? 'Cause I can't remember doing it...

      Cheers,

      Bryan "Newly re-subscribed" Pope
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 22 8:11 AM
        I have experienced this several times with different lists (not March yet, but it will probably happen). Most likely it was a transient hard failure to your email address that caused the unsubscribe.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 22 8:38 AM
          I have recently had to re-activate my email account. I wish there
          was an alternative to yahoo
          bd

          At Friday, 22 September 2006, you wrote:

          >I have experienced this several times with different lists (not March
          >yet, but it will probably happen). Most likely it was a transient hard
          >failure to your email address that caused the unsubscribe.

          -- E N D --
        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 22 8:54 AM
            There ARE plenty of alternatives; I run a bunch of mail servers on my system
            and others here probably do the same thing.

            However, keep in mind that any decent system will drop users after X failed
            attempts to deliver email. It's amazing how many people change providers
            and
            never bother to unsubscribe from busy lists first, then complain when they
            get "dropped."

            I don't know what happened that caused your drop, but Comcast selectively
            turns on blocking from various sites (I fought this with them several weeks
            ago),
            and it only takes ONE person to complain of "spam" from a mailing list
            before
            AOL blocks you. I had a user who didn't want email from one of my lists
            (that
            HE SIGNED UP FOR) and rather than unsubscribe, he simply marked it as
            spam... AOL blocked it, and also blocked posts from the same mailing list
            for all other AOL users. Wonderful. Have any idea how many hours it took
            to untangle the mess while other users complained that "my" list sever was
            broken?

            The mailing list is free. It delivers messages to hundreds of users every
            day.
            We the users don't have to worry about how it works nor solve problems.
            How much time/money does someone on this list want to spend on providing
            a similar service?

            Bob

            >I have recently had to re-activate my email account. I wish there
            > was an alternative to yahoo
            > bd
            >
            > At Friday, 22 September 2006, you wrote:
            >
            >>I have experienced this several times with different lists (not March
            >>yet, but it will probably happen). Most likely it was a transient hard
            >>failure to your email address that caused the unsubscribe.

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 22 8:55 AM
              B Degnan wrote:
              > I have recently had to re-activate my email account. I wish there
              > was an alternative to yahoo

              I'd be willing to host the list on my mail server and do the required
              maintenance if the group wants.

              Peace... Sridhar
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 22 9:14 AM
                Much appreciated, Sridhar, but Bob's got it right -- Yahoo has several
                advantages that we can't easily duplicate -- mainly that it's easily
                accessible by the masses and easy for yours truly to administer. We also
                know it'll always be there; what if John Q. Member offers to host it and
                then decides to take our list and go away? (That's rhetorical.)

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 22 9:50 AM
                  I perfer a message board type format myself.

                  -- E N D --
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 22 10:07 AM
                    B Degnan wrote:
                    > I perfer a message board type format myself.

                    I definitely do not. It would require me to have a web browser.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 22 10:19 AM
                      I don't want a message board format either, but for different reasons.

                      However, I don't understand the "I don't want a web browser" comment (sorry
                      to pick on you today, Sridhar!) ..... Was that just sarcasm on your part

                      Obviously I think that collecting and restoring and sometimes using vintage
                      computers is a wonderful thing ..... I just can't understand why some people
                      insist on restricting themselves to the older technology. Yes, web browsers
                      have a shitload of security problems, but for the most part they're only as
                      bad as the end user is uninformed. Nor can I imagine literally missing out
                      on the whole darn Web just because of browser issues. To put it nicely,
                      that would be a very silly decision.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 22 10:27 AM
                        Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > I don't want a message board format either, but for different reasons.
                        >
                        > However, I don't understand the "I don't want a web browser" comment (sorry
                        > to pick on you today, Sridhar!) ..... Was that just sarcasm on your part

                        Nope. See below.

                        > Obviously I think that collecting and restoring and sometimes using vintage
                        > computers is a wonderful thing ..... I just can't understand why some people
                        > insist on restricting themselves to the older technology. Yes, web browsers
                        > have a shitload of security problems, but for the most part they're only as
                        > bad as the end user is uninformed. Nor can I imagine literally missing out
                        > on the whole darn Web just because of browser issues. To put it nicely,
                        > that would be a very silly decision.

                        It has nothing to do with older technology. I often read the list on my
                        palm pilot. Reading a web forum on a palm pilot is unpleasant at best.
                        Reading email on a palm pilot is a piece of cake.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                      • Bob Applegate
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 22 10:33 AM
                          I don't know Sridhar's reason, but I also prefer email delivery since I can read the
                          messages as they come in, without having to go elsewhere to see them.  Email is
                          running all the time anyway, so messages from this list just go into a unique folder
                          I can read when convenient without having to bring up a browser.

                          Besides, the messages are all on the Yahoo page anyway... I can view messages
                          there if I miss something (or delete it here at work and then want to re-read it at
                          home).

                          Bob

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 22 10:42 AM
                            Ah, okay.

                            I also read messages on my PalmOS device (Treo 700) when away from the PC.

                            > I don't want a message board format either, but for different reasons.
                            >
                            > However, I don't understand the "I don't want a web browser" comment
                            > (sorry to pick on you today, Sridhar!) ..... Was that just sarcasm on
                            > your part

                            Nope. See below.

                            > Obviously I think that collecting and restoring and sometimes using
                            > vintage computers is a wonderful thing ..... I just can't understand
                            > why some people insist on restricting themselves to the older
                            > technology. Yes, web browsers have a shitload of security problems,
                            > but for the most part they're only as bad as the end user is
                            > uninformed. Nor can I imagine literally missing out on the whole darn
                            > Web just because of browser issues. To put it nicely, that would be a
                            very silly decision.

                            It has nothing to do with older technology. I often read the list on my
                            palm pilot. Reading a web forum on a palm pilot is unpleasant at best.
                            Reading email on a palm pilot is a piece of cake.

                            Peace... Sridhar

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Ray Sills
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 22 12:09 PM
                              Hi Gang:

                              I agree with Bob and Evan with regard to email. My email app sorts
                              the incoming mail by sender and puts it in various folders, depending
                              on who sent it. All the March email is in one spot on my computer.
                              And, I have the option of logging in to Yahoo Groups on a "foreign"
                              computer and checking what's happening when I'm at work, for example.

                              I think it would be hard to beat the Yahoo convenience (and the
                              price)! For the most part, it's great service, with miniscule
                              amounts of advertising.

                              73 de Ray

                              On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:33 PM, Bob Applegate wrote:

                              > I don't know Sridhar's reason, but I also prefer email delivery
                              > since I can read the
                              > messages as they come in, without having to go elsewhere to see
                              > them. Email is
                              > running all the time anyway, so messages from this list just go
                              > into a unique folder
                              > I can read when convenient without having to bring up a browser.
                              >
                              > Besides, the messages are all on the Yahoo page anyway... I can
                              > view messages
                              > there if I miss something (or delete it here at work and then want
                              > to re-read it at
                              > home).
                              >
                              > Bob

                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 22 12:46 PM
                                On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                                > B Degnan wrote:
                                >> I perfer a message board type format myself.
                                >
                                > I definitely do not. It would require me to have a web browser.

                                I second that. I prefer to read my mailing lists via an e-mail client.

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...