Another big vintage computer haul

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16 7:29 PM
      Today I rented a U-Haul truck and went with my father to pick up some things
      that people have been holding for MARCH for a few months.

      The first stop was to get a good table with folding legs. We need as many
      of these as possible. I was expecting a 6-foot table but it's an 8-footer.
      Free, so it's good!

      The second stop was for two display cases. The guy had a third one
      available so I took that as well for another $25. We paid $60 for the first
      two, even though one has cracked glass -- so in total we paid $85 -- but try
      buying even ONE new display case for that price! So even after we replace
      the glass it's still a bargain.

      The third stop was at the house of Claude, an ex-compsci professor (I think)
      who has an AMAZING collection. The highlight is a 30-foot-long Burroughs
      mainframe. Obviously we're not ready to take that, nor is Claude ready to
      give it to us. He and MARCH/Fred all agree to negotiate that in a year or
      two from now. He also has a notebook that belonged to J. Presper Ecker
      during his grad school days, before ENIAC was even imagined. Eckert signed
      his name in it, presumably in case it got misplaced, but today that's quite
      a valuable artifact and autograph! Claude said he will probably loan us
      Eckert's notebook at some point, as long as we keep it safely in a locked
      case and all. The actual * reason * we stopped at Claude's house to get the
      IBM 026 card punch machine. It turned out to be too heavy for my dad and I
      to move by ourselves, and Claude is 82, so he couldn't help. However we did
      get a prototype of a Univac high-speed printer and a rather humongous tape
      drive, brand unknown right now, believed to be from the early 1960s.

      We dropped off everything at InfoAge and all went well. We'll have to
      arrange another trip sometime for the 026 with more, stronger people.

      - Evan
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18 10:26 AM
        --- "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

        > Today I rented a U-Haul truck and went with my father to pick up
        some things
        > that people have been holding for MARCH for a few months.
        >
        > The third stop was at the house of Claude, an ex-compsci professor
        (I think)
        > who has an AMAZING collection....

        That's Claude Kagan. He was at the Trenton ComputerFest, talking about
        SAM76 which he developed with the "RESISTORS" in the 1970's. I brought
        him to InfoAge for the Vintage show this summer. I live about 10 miles
        from him, and have visited with him several times since.

        > The actual * reason * we stopped at Claude's house to get the
        > IBM 026 card punch machine.

        Yes, that would be the card punch I told MARCH (via the Yahoo! list)
        that Claude had, when there was discussion about buying one on Ebay
        for hundreds of dollars plus shipping across the country for hundreds
        more.

        > It turned out to be too heavy for my dad and I
        > to move by ourselves, and Claude is 82, so he couldn't help.
        However we did
        > get [other items]... We dropped off everything at InfoAge and all
        went well. We'll have to
        > arrange another trip sometime for the 026 with more, stronger people.
        >
        > - Evan

        Maybe you'll *LET ME KNOW* when you next plan to visit Claude, so I
        can help you move some of his items.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 18 10:52 AM
          Right. His house is certainly an interesting place! Most spectacular is
          the 30-foot-long Burroughs mainframe!

          Herb, sorry for not letting you know. Having an extra able-bodied guy would
          have made a big difference and would have saved us for another future trip.

          The good news: the future trip can rely on a simple pick-up truck, SUV, or
          van. The 026 is not all too large, just heavy.

          > Today I rented a U-Haul truck and went with my father to pick up
          some things
          > that people have been holding for MARCH for a few months.
          >
          > The third stop was at the house of Claude, an ex-compsci professor
          (I think)
          > who has an AMAZING collection....

          That's Claude Kagan. He was at the Trenton ComputerFest, talking about
          SAM76 which he developed with the "RESISTORS" in the 1970's. I brought him
          to InfoAge for the Vintage show this summer. I live about 10 miles from him,
          and have visited with him several times since.

          > The actual * reason * we stopped at Claude's house to get the IBM 026
          > card punch machine.

          Yes, that would be the card punch I told MARCH (via the Yahoo! list) that
          Claude had, when there was discussion about buying one on Ebay for hundreds
          of dollars plus shipping across the country for hundreds more.

          > It turned out to be too heavy for my dad and I to move by ourselves,
          > and Claude is 82, so he couldn't help.
          However we did
          > get [other items]... We dropped off everything at InfoAge and all
          went well. We'll have to
          > arrange another trip sometime for the 026 with more, stronger people.
          >
          > - Evan

          Maybe you'll *LET ME KNOW* when you next plan to visit Claude, so I can help
          you move some of his items.

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
          address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
          days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
          floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"