My Vintage Computer Haul

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
      Just got back from picking the stuff up. Was less than a mile from my house. Stuff included:
      HP 110 Plus Laptop
      IBM PC 5150
      Taiwanese clone of 5150
      Several 8-bit I/O and memory expansion cards
      8 bit SOTA 386si ISA card in Box
      Havent tested anything yet. Will updat later on today
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
        Joe Giliberti wrote:
        > Taiwanese clone of 5150

        Are you sure it is a clone of the 5150? Most, if not all clones I've
        seen have been of the 5160.

        Peace... Sridhar
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
          Hello all,

          This is a great project that can distributed so several people can work on it from home. Many of the suggestions are things that I've never seen on any timeline, and I really enjoy computrer history. We have an opprotunity to do something original here.

          To get started, we need someone to volunteer to coordinate the effort plus several more people to work on specific sections. These people would need to research dates and facts - hopefully confirming these from more than one source. These sources should be recorded so our results are documented. This does not need to be completed overnite but if we keep at it, this could become a great resource. Are there any volunteers?

          Jim
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
            I guess its possible. I just said 5150 because thats what the guy who gave it to me called it. There are no labels on it

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2006
              I'll coordinate it.  For now people can just start adding to the database.  Later we can take what's in there and categorize it, decide what to include, what to leave out, etc.

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 16, 2006
                Joe,

                The 5150 (original PC) had five slots. The 5160 (XT) had seven slots - that's the primary difference. The IBM 5150 also had a socket for a cassette tape recorder, although I know of no clones with such a socket. A true 5150/5160 clone has 256K RAM on the system board, Many later clones can hold 640K on the systemm board and have a clock of some sort.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 16, 2006
                  The clone has 7 slots and no casette interface. Most definitley an XT clone