VAX haul

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2006
      Hello all,

      I finally finished the inventory of the MicroVAX haul. This came from a listing on
      Craig's List that Joe Giliberti forwarded to our list. The donor is a company in
      Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Way to go Joe! I made the four hour round trip last week.

      Qty Item Type Description
      1 Series BA42B system cpu MicroVAX 3100
      1 Series BA42A system hd HD expansion unit
      1 P401 6MJ network Emulex Performance 4000 Ethernet Terminal Server with
      expansion, 32-ports
      1 DELNI-BA network Ethernet Repeater - AUI 8-port
      1 LA310-A2 printer LA310 MultiPrinter
      1 LA100-BA printer Letterwriter 100
      1 tape drive Reel to reel tape drive
      1 TZ85 tape drive TZ85 Tape Drive
      1 LK401-AA terminal keyboard
      1 VT220 terminal VT220 Terminal
      1 VT420 terminal VT420 C2 Terminal
      1 VT420 terminal VT420 C2 Terminal
      1 BNE3K - 10 cable AUI cable. Approx 20ft
      1 E101876 cable DECconnect Office Cable - 10 ft
      1 BC06P-06 cable SCSI I cable - 6ft, 50pin
      1 manual ANS DIBOL Language Reference
      1 manual Cipher Model F880ES Users Manual
      1 manual Emulex Performance 4000 Ethernet Terminal Server manual
      1 manual Emulex Performance Series TCP/IP-LAT Protocol and Command
      Reference
      1 manual FAX Sr. System Managers Guide
      1 manual FAX Sr. VIP Guide: Windows, Macintosh, DOS Users Guide
      1 manual LA310 MultiPrinter Installation and User Guide
      1 manual LQP45 Owners Manual
      2 manual MASS 11 System Managers Guide
      1 manual MASS 11 User Manual
      1 manual MicroVAX 3100 Model 40 and Model 80 Customer Technical
      Information
      1 manual MicroVAX 3100 Model 40 and Model 80 Installation Information

      1 manual MicroVAX 3100 Model 40 and Model 80 Troubleshooting and
      Diagnostic Information
      1 manual OpenVMS DCL Dictionary: A-M
      1 manual OpenVMS DCL Dictionary: N-Z
      1 manual OpenVMS System Managers Manual: Essentials
      1 manual OpenVMS Users Manual
      1 manual VAX DIBOL Language Reference
      1 manual VAX DIBOL Users Guide
      1 manual VMS License Management Utility Manual
      1 LA75-A2 printer LA75 Companion Printer
      32 TK50-K tape tapes, many with software distribution
      12 LAXXR supplies DECwriter Ribbons for LA 120
      3 supplies Olivetti Easycart ribbon cartridge
      1 LA50R-06 supplies Ribbon for LA50 or LA75
      4 supplies Ribbons for ????
      7 LA31-06 supplies Ribbons for LA310 Multiprinter

      The TK50 tapes are not blank. Most are software distribution tapes that I will
      inventory in the next few days.

      I passed on a DEC laser printer (not sure of the model) and a LPQ105 letter-quality
      printer. Since I made the pickup they have found more cables and keyboards, which I
      will get soon.

      The system unit boots and runs - at least it did at the donor's office. He had it
      running when I arrived. At one time they had nearly twenty people doing everything
      from accounting to word processing on this machine. It should be plenty to run the
      Green Screen Experience; whether it makes sense to use it for that is another matter.
      Its younger age should make it more reliable and easier and less costly to maintain
      than the older PDP machines. Of course Linux running on a modern PC will have more
      power at lower cost over time and any other solution so we need to look at this from
      more than just "vintageness".

      The reel-to-reel tape drive is quite heavy and I have no tapes to test in it. Someday
      I could see us offering a data conversion service to collectors (as opposed to
      businesses) and this hunk of iron might prove useful someday.

      In any case, all this belongs to MARCH and I'll bring it down to InfoAge when that
      makes sense.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2006
        Everyone,

        My messsage began life with it's electrons arranged in a nice HTML table. Sorry. Yahoo stripped out the formatting.
        Jim