RE: [midatlanticretro] Possible VCF East Workshop...

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
      Seconded!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: B Degnan [mailto:billdeg@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:43 AM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Possible VCF East Workshop...

      excellent idea. I think that if you position the event as a "Teletype
      101 (how it works/how to safely load paper, etc.)" and a "Teletype
      102 (how to perform lube/basic maintenance)" it might gauge expectations
      more reasonably. No promises to fix.

      Bill

      At Wednesday, 13 September 2006, you wrote:

      >I just got an email from Sellam about workshop he's having at VCF 9.0.
      >I would like to suggest (and take the lead on it if people are willing)
      >a workshop for the next VCF East.
      >The workshop I suggest would be something like "Teletype Tune-Up".
      >Basically, for an additional fee, bring your TTY (some limited number
      >of models... ASR/KSR-33, maybe 42s or other ASCII units as well) and
      >we'll have experts on hand to walk you through troubleshooting and
      >maintenance. I do see a problem with this idea, that being that people
      >might pay their fee and show up with a hopeless junker and demand that
      >it be made to work. Or in a less extreme case, someone might show up
      >in good faith with a unit that just can't be made to work for some
      >reason. Maybe the list can work out a solution to this problem. I was
      >thinking I would try to recruit some "GreenKeys" experts and/or try to
      >contact some ex TTY employees.
      >They might come just for the challenge, maybe for pizza and beer, maybe
      >for a cut of the take. Maybe we could also get one of the remaining
      >companies that still provide TTY parts interested (there are a few but
      >the names escape me at the moment). They could move some stock, earn
      >some good will?
      >
      >Any thoughts welcome,
      >Bill Sudbrink
      >--

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
        I suspect most of the people with Teletypes are pretty familiar with them.
        Anyone not would have gotten rid of them long ago.  The guys who I know
        who own TTYs have piles of parts, can tell me how fast various parts
        need replacing/cleaning, etc.  I don't know anyone with one that isn't
        fully functional.  These guys don't need classes on them.

        It's also a rather small "market" if you will.  If 5% of vintage computer users
        had a TTY, I'd be very surprised.  It's already a limited interest topic, so
        narrowing it down even more seems somewhat pointless.

        Why not have a KIM-1 session?  I know of a number of people on this
        list with them.  How about a solid CP/M discussion, as in ZCPR, some
        of the development tools (JRT PASCAL, BDS C, etc), some of the
        more popular programs, etc.  Heck, I bet there are more Wordstar
        users on here than people with TTYs!

        Pick a topic that has wider appeal.  The basic concept of marketing is
        that you need to empathize with the potential customer.  The more
        you can show that they're likely to have used/experienced, the more
        they'll connect with MARCH.

        73

        Bob

        excellent idea. I think that if you position the event as a "Teletype
        101 (how it works/how to safely load paper, etc.)" and a "Teletype
        102 (how to perform lube/basic maintenance) " it might gauge expectations
        more reasonably. No promises to fix.

        Bill

        At Wednesday, 13 September 2006, you wrote:

        >I just got an email from Sellam about workshop he's having at VCF 9.0.
        >I would like to suggest (and take the lead on it if people are willing)
        >a workshop for the next VCF East.
        >The workshop I suggest would be something like "Teletype Tune-Up".
        >Basically, for an additional fee, bring your TTY (some limited number
        >of models... ASR/KSR-33, maybe 42s or other ASCII units as well) and
        >we'll have experts on hand to walk you through troubleshooting and
        >maintenance. I do see a problem with this idea, that being that people
        >might pay their fee and show up with a hopeless junker and demand that
        >it be made to work. Or in a less extreme case, someone might show up
        >in good faith with a unit that just can't be made to work for some
        >reason. Maybe the list can work out a solution to this problem. I was
        >thinking I would try to recruit some "GreenKeys" experts and/or try to
        >contact some ex TTY employees.
        >They might come just for the challenge, maybe for pizza and beer, maybe
        >for a cut of the take. Maybe we could also get one of the remaining
        >companies that still provide TTY parts interested (there are a few but
        >the names escape me at the moment). They could move some stock, earn
        >some good will?
        >
        >Any thoughts welcome,
        >Bill Sudbrink
        >--

      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
          I like this idea. Also, I've been thinking about the next VCF East. Instead of exhibiting, I think I'd like to take a more active role on the exhibit day. I couldn't run the proposed Teletype workshop because I know nothing of them, but what about other topics or breakout sessions?

          Of course, if we're short exhibitors, I could always put something together.

          excellent idea. I think that if you position the event as a "Teletype
          101 (how it works/how to safely load paper, etc.)" and a "Teletype
          102 (how to perform lube/basic maintenance)" it might gauge expectations
          more reasonably. No promises to fix.

          Bill

          At Wednesday, 13 September 2006, you wrote:

          >I just got an email from Sellam about workshop he's having at VCF 9.0.
          >I would like to suggest (and take the lead on it if people are willing)
          >a workshop for the next VCF East.
          >The workshop I suggest would be something like "Teletype Tune-Up".
          >Basically, for an additional fee, bring your TTY (some limited number
          >of models... ASR/KSR-33, maybe 42s or other ASCII units as well) and
          >we'll have experts on hand to walk you through troubleshooting and
          >maintenance. I do see a problem with this idea, that being that people
          >might pay their fee and show up with a hopeless junker and demand that
          >it be made to work. Or in a less extreme case, someone might show up
          >in good faith with a unit that just can't be made to work for some
          >reason. Maybe the list can work out a solution to this problem. I was
          >thinking I would try to recruit some "GreenKeys" experts and/or try to
          >contact some ex TTY employees.
          >They might come just for the challenge, maybe for pizza and beer, maybe
          >for a cut of the take. Maybe we could also get one of the remaining
          >companies that still provide TTY parts interested (there are a few but
          >the names escape me at the moment). They could move some stock, earn
          >some good will?
          >
          >Any thoughts welcome,
          >Bill Sudbrink
          >--

        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
            Or, what about several "workshop Saturdays" instead of wrapping this up with VCF? This would get people to InfoAge, get exposure for MARCH, and keep the club active. Just an idea...

            excellent idea. I think that if you position the event as a "Teletype
            101 (how it works/how to safely load paper, etc.)" and a "Teletype
            102 (how to perform lube/basic maintenance)" it might gauge expectations
            more reasonably. No promises to fix.

            Bill

            At Wednesday, 13 September 2006, you wrote:

            >I just got an email from Sellam about workshop he's having at VCF 9.0.
            >I would like to suggest (and take the lead on it if people are willing)
            >a workshop for the next VCF East.
            >The workshop I suggest would be something like "Teletype Tune-Up".
            >Basically, for an additional fee, bring your TTY (some limited number
            >of models... ASR/KSR-33, maybe 42s or other ASCII units as well) and
            >we'll have experts on hand to walk you through troubleshooting and
            >maintenance. I do see a problem with this idea, that being that people
            >might pay their fee and show up with a hopeless junker and demand that
            >it be made to work. Or in a less extreme case, someone might show up
            >in good faith with a unit that just can't be made to work for some
            >reason. Maybe the list can work out a solution to this problem. I was
            >thinking I would try to recruit some "GreenKeys" experts and/or try to
            >contact some ex TTY employees.
            >They might come just for the challenge, maybe for pizza and beer, maybe
            >for a cut of the take. Maybe we could also get one of the remaining
            >companies that still provide TTY parts interested (there are a few but
            >the names escape me at the moment). They could move some stock, earn
            >some good will?
            >
            >Any thoughts welcome,
            >Bill Sudbrink
            >--

            Messages in this topic <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/message/4158;_ylc=X3oDMTM1OXF2ZW42BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRtc2dJZAM0MTYxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1ODE2NjMxNwR0cGNJZAM0MTU4> (4) Reply (via web post) <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxajRwZzEwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRtc2dJZAM0MTYxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE1ODE2NjMxNw--?act=reply&messageNum=4161> | Start a new topic <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmaWpzMjExBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzExNTgxNjYzMTc->
            Messages <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMGo3YzhkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtc2dzBHN0aW1lAzExNTgxNjYzMTc-> | Files <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJndTk3OHJzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNmaWxlcwRzdGltZQMxMTU4MTY2MzE3> | Photos <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMGtnaXNhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNwaG90BHN0aW1lAzExNTgxNjYzMTc-> | Links <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJnOTZ2b3BmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNsaW5rcwRzdGltZQMxMTU4MTY2MzE3> | Database <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJkN3VocmJ1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNkYgRzdGltZQMxMTU4MTY2MzE3> | Polls <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJnZ2x1bmhkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNwb2xscwRzdGltZQMxMTU4MTY2MzE3> | Members <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNG5zNTBsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzExNTgxNjYzMTc-> | Calendar <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJldmR0NHI3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNjYWwEc3RpbWUDMTE1ODE2NjMxNw-->
            Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest <mailto:midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest> | Switch format to Traditional <mailto:midatlanticretro-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional>
            Visit Your Group <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro;_ylc=X3oDMTJlb2VhaGptBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0Mzc5MDMyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDU2NjE2MgRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTE1ODE2NjMxNw--> | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> | Unsubscribe <mailto:midatlanticretro-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=>
            .

            _____
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
              Another excellent idea from Kelly. Maybe the workshops can be hosted at various locations other than InfoAge (although there is very nice radio / computer repair shop under construction in the hotel basement so we should use it.)

              Personally I think we should have some museum fix-it days first. That way we get to do hands-on vintage tech repair and we accomplish museum stuff at the same time instead of having to choose betwee activities.

              Whic brings another idea. We could have a museum exhibit for a "computer of the month" so that people who do not have interest in a current exhibit would still have something interesting to them to do. That would also give public visitors an additional sneek peek at our future exhibits. (And/or we could organize our preview room that way -- with one of item from each possible exhibit category.)
            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
                OK.  I'll admit a little self interest on this one.  I have two 33s.  Neither works 100%.  I have a
                full set of documentation.  When I look at those exploded diagrams (not to mention the
                machines themselves) I go cross-eyed.  I can't get a grip on how they work.  Both of mine are
                filthy inside and I think they were improperly lubricated (WD-40 maybe), anyway they are
                gummed up inside.  I would like to take them to bits, scrub each and every part clean,
                relubricate and reassemble them.  But I'm sure I would get stuck on that last step!  If I am the
                only person in this boat, could someone help?

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
                  I see your point...but maybe I am in that small group of people who
                  have a teletype that doesn't really know how to use, although I have
                  seen a video. I would love to learn more.

                  Maybe we should create more of a "find a mentor" kind of thing.

                  Bill

                  At Wednesday, 13 September 2006, you wrote:

                  >I suspect most of the people with Teletypes are
                  >pretty familiar with them.
                  >Anyone not would have gotten rid of them long
                  >ago.  The guys who I know
                  >who own TTYs have piles of parts, can tell me how
                  >fast various parts
                  >need replacing/cleaning, etc.  I don't know
                  >anyone with one that isn't
                  >fully functional.  These guys don't need
                  >classes on them.
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
                    Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                    > OK. I'll admit a little self interest on this one. I have two 33s.
                    > Neither works 100%. I have a
                    > full set of documentation. When I look at those exploded diagrams (not
                    > to mention the
                    > machines themselves) I go cross-eyed. I can't get a grip on how they
                    > work. Both of mine are
                    > filthy inside and I think they were improperly lubricated (WD-40 maybe),
                    > anyway they are
                    > gummed up inside. I would like to take them to bits, scrub each and
                    > every part clean,
                    > relubricate and reassemble them. But I'm sure I would get stuck on that
                    > last step! If I am the
                    > only person in this boat, could someone help?

                    You are definitely not the only one in this boat.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
                      Well, it seems there are at least 3 in March that are in the same situation. Sounds like we're getting a quorum. Personally, I don't have a teletype (but would love to get one). Once I did, I too would be in the same group.

                      I see your point...but maybe I am in that small group of people who
                      have a teletype that doesn't really know how to use, although I have
                      seen a video. I would love to learn more.

                      Maybe we should create more of a "find a mentor" kind of thing.

                      Bill

                      At Wednesday, 13 September 2006, you wrote:

                      >I suspect most of the people with Teletypes are
                      >pretty familiar with them.
                      >Anyone not would have gotten rid of them long
                      >ago. The guys who I know
                      >who own TTYs have piles of parts, can tell me how
                      >fast various parts
                      >need replacing/cleaning, etc. I don't know
                      >anyone with one that isn't
                      >fully functional. These guys don't need
                      >classes on them.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 13, 2006
                        On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Kelly Leavitt wrote:

                        > Well, it seems there are at least 3 in March that are in the same
                        > situation. Sounds like we're getting a quorum. Personally, I don't have
                        > a teletype (but would love to get one). Once I did, I too would be in
                        > the same group.

                        That would be something to hear: a room full of teletypes hooked up to
                        a terminal server (thence to some host), all chattering away. :-)

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...