RE: [midatlanticretro] Great day for MARCH at InfoAge!

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2006
      A now for a clarification .... Herb pointed out that my use of
      InfoAge-related terminology is inconsistent and confusing .... I suspect
      that he's correct. So from now on, I will try to be more clear about this
      stuff.

      "The hotel" is InfoAge's primary large building on Marconi Rd. -- this is
      where we held VCF and where most of the renovation work and public events
      have been so far. It also contains two long hallways, housing preview rooms
      for every resident club. While each club's real museum is under
      construction in other buildings, the preview rooms serve as small examples
      for the public of what will someday be there -- similar to the demo house
      that's open for potential buyers to visit when a new housing development is
      being built. MARCH's preview room is tiny (approx 9x12 ft.) but it's the
      first one after the lobby, so we get good traffic there. (The building got
      the name "the hotel" because that is where the soldier-engineers lived
      during the Marconi and Army eras. It was also dormitory space when the
      campus was a college.)

      "The lounge" refers to the hotel room where we had the VCF lectures and
      which is currently being used as a general workshop and storage area for all
      major renovation work.

      When I say "our storage room", I mean the two interconnected rooms in the
      hotel basement where we have lots of shelf space and several pallets full of
      vintage computers. These rooms are on the right side of the basement when
      you enter through the hotel's ballroom (where we had VCF.) These are the
      rooms where we installed a lock yesterday.

      The "radio/computer repair workshop" is new. It's a workshop being built by
      our friend Steve G. of NJARC, with some major Lucent equipment donations, on
      the opposite end of the hotel's basement from where our stroage room is
      located.

      "9032" and "the administration building" and "the library" are all InfoAge
      lingo for the one-floor green-colored building located immediately behind
      the hotel. It contains the National Broadcasters Hall of Fame, the InfoAge
      facilities office and safety office, some storage areas, the shipwreck
      group's museum space, and MARCH's museum space. So whenever I refer to just
      "our museum" and/or "the second building", I specifically mean 9032-C, with
      "C" being the InfoAge designation for our wing. (We're beginning the museum
      with the three interconnected rooms on the far side of the lone hallway in
      that wing, starting from the wing's foyer and working deeper back as
      needed.)

      The "H-buildings" are two VERY LARGE former laboratories which, from a
      bird's-eye view, are each shaped like an uppercase letter H. These two
      buildings each dwarf the hotel in size -- you could practically fit football
      fields inside of them. Right now they're nothing but gutted shells. It
      will be ** at least ** a couple of years before these buildings are ready to
      be inhabited. But when the time comes, they'll be perfect for large events
      and for all the museum space one could ever need.

      I hope that clears it up.

      - Evan