Re: As previously asked / re: museum volunteers?

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006

      > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
      >
      > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
      volunteer just
      > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
      involve
      > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
      tour, and
      > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
      whatever
      > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
      MARCH if
      > they're interested.
      >
      > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
      >
      > - Evan

      I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things
      occur. First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two -
      as to when. Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible
      for the "docent" program, so I have someone to turn to who will be
      well informed by both MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I
      can't make it, someone to tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
      Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the
      MARCH "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH
      exhibit and our organization; just as other clubs will have their
      documents for us when we show their exhibits.

      In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about
      procedures, security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do
      they call? Stuff like that is important to document, when you need
      safety info you need it FAST. "Security" is about locking doors,
      checking alarms, or just who to call if someone is drunk.

      Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider
      two things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've
      asked about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they
      see. Making visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best
      interests. Second, it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do
      and say; it's satisfying to have a visitor say "thank you" when they
      have had a good experience.

      I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They
      have a strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's
      satisifying, and almost all our officers and active members come out
      of that program. Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be
      glad to share that info with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and
      examples, contact me privately. But I'm not prepared to be the "docent
      director". Things may be simple enough that you can perform that role,
      for now.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
        I'll be the point of contact, and there will be plenty of notice for
        scheduling.

        InfoAge has a fire safety officer who is making the safety program, etc.
        along with Fred.

        > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
        >
        > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
        volunteer just
        > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
        involve
        > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
        tour, and
        > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
        whatever
        > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
        MARCH if
        > they're interested.
        >
        > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
        >
        > - Evan

        I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things occur.
        First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two - as to when.
        Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible for the "docent"
        program, so I have someone to turn to who will be well informed by both
        MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I can't make it, someone to
        tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
        Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the MARCH
        "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH exhibit and our
        organization; just as other clubs will have their documents for us when we
        show their exhibits.

        In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about procedures,
        security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do they call? Stuff
        like that is important to document, when you need safety info you need it
        FAST. "Security" is about locking doors, checking alarms, or just who to
        call if someone is drunk.

        Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider two
        things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've asked
        about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they see. Making
        visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best interests. Second,
        it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do and say; it's satisfying
        to have a visitor say "thank you" when they have had a good experience.

        I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They have a
        strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's satisifying, and
        almost all our officers and active members come out of that program.
        Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be glad to share that info
        with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and examples, contact me privately.
        But I'm not prepared to be the "docent director". Things may be simple
        enough that you can perform that role, for now.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
        address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
        days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
        floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

        what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
      • Greg N Shari (GMail)
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 9, 2006
          Evan,

          I could do a couple of days as long as I can get a ride with someone else there and back. I am located between Wilmington and Philadelphia. I would be available for either weekdays or weekends.

          Greg Manuel