Re: [midatlanticretro] Vintage modem rack

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7 9:47 AM
      Mike,
      What the heck bring it. I might be interested if the price is right.
      Bill

      At Thursday, 7 September 2006, you wrote:

      >Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
      >It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were
      working
      >the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if
      someone
      >wants it.
      >
      >http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/
      >
      > I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler,
      if there's
      >any interest.
      >
      >Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      >The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html
      >The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
      >Old Technology http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

      -- E N D --
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7 10:24 AM

        > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
        >
        > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
        volunteer just
        > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
        involve
        > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
        tour, and
        > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
        whatever
        > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
        MARCH if
        > they're interested.
        >
        > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
        >
        > - Evan

        I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things
        occur. First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two -
        as to when. Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible
        for the "docent" program, so I have someone to turn to who will be
        well informed by both MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I
        can't make it, someone to tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
        Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the
        MARCH "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH
        exhibit and our organization; just as other clubs will have their
        documents for us when we show their exhibits.

        In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about
        procedures, security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do
        they call? Stuff like that is important to document, when you need
        safety info you need it FAST. "Security" is about locking doors,
        checking alarms, or just who to call if someone is drunk.

        Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider
        two things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've
        asked about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they
        see. Making visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best
        interests. Second, it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do
        and say; it's satisfying to have a visitor say "thank you" when they
        have had a good experience.

        I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They
        have a strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's
        satisifying, and almost all our officers and active members come out
        of that program. Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be
        glad to share that info with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and
        examples, contact me privately. But I'm not prepared to be the "docent
        director". Things may be simple enough that you can perform that role,
        for now.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7 10:31 AM
          I'll be the point of contact, and there will be plenty of notice for
          scheduling.

          InfoAge has a fire safety officer who is making the safety program, etc.
          along with Fred.

          > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
          >
          > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
          volunteer just
          > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
          involve
          > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
          tour, and
          > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
          whatever
          > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
          MARCH if
          > they're interested.
          >
          > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
          >
          > - Evan

          I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things occur.
          First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two - as to when.
          Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible for the "docent"
          program, so I have someone to turn to who will be well informed by both
          MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I can't make it, someone to
          tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
          Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the MARCH
          "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH exhibit and our
          organization; just as other clubs will have their documents for us when we
          show their exhibits.

          In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about procedures,
          security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do they call? Stuff
          like that is important to document, when you need safety info you need it
          FAST. "Security" is about locking doors, checking alarms, or just who to
          call if someone is drunk.

          Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider two
          things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've asked
          about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they see. Making
          visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best interests. Second,
          it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do and say; it's satisfying
          to have a visitor say "thank you" when they have had a good experience.

          I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They have a
          strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's satisifying, and
          almost all our officers and active members come out of that program.
          Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be glad to share that info
          with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and examples, contact me privately.
          But I'm not prepared to be the "docent director". Things may be simple
          enough that you can perform that role, for now.

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
          address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
          days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
          floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

          what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
        • Greg N Shari (GMail)
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 9 2:00 AM
            Evan,

            I could do a couple of days as long as I can get a ride with someone else there and back. I am located between Wilmington and Philadelphia. I would be available for either weekdays or weekends.

            Greg Manuel