Vintage modem rack

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
      Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
      It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were working
      the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if someone
      wants it.

      http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/

      I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler, if there's
      any interest.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
        Mike,
        What the heck bring it. I might be interested if the price is right.
        Bill

        At Thursday, 7 September 2006, you wrote:

        >Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
        >It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were
        working
        >the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if
        someone
        >wants it.
        >
        >http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/
        >
        > I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler,
        if there's
        >any interest.
        >
        >Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        >The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html
        >The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
        >Old Technology http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

        -- E N D --
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006

          > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
          >
          > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
          volunteer just
          > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
          involve
          > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
          tour, and
          > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
          whatever
          > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
          MARCH if
          > they're interested.
          >
          > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
          >
          > - Evan

          I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things
          occur. First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two -
          as to when. Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible
          for the "docent" program, so I have someone to turn to who will be
          well informed by both MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I
          can't make it, someone to tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
          Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the
          MARCH "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH
          exhibit and our organization; just as other clubs will have their
          documents for us when we show their exhibits.

          In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about
          procedures, security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do
          they call? Stuff like that is important to document, when you need
          safety info you need it FAST. "Security" is about locking doors,
          checking alarms, or just who to call if someone is drunk.

          Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider
          two things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've
          asked about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they
          see. Making visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best
          interests. Second, it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do
          and say; it's satisfying to have a visitor say "thank you" when they
          have had a good experience.

          I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They
          have a strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's
          satisifying, and almost all our officers and active members come out
          of that program. Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be
          glad to share that info with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and
          examples, contact me privately. But I'm not prepared to be the "docent
          director". Things may be simple enough that you can perform that role,
          for now.

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
            I'll be the point of contact, and there will be plenty of notice for
            scheduling.

            InfoAge has a fire safety officer who is making the safety program, etc.
            along with Fred.

            > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
            >
            > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
            volunteer just
            > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
            involve
            > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
            tour, and
            > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
            whatever
            > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
            MARCH if
            > they're interested.
            >
            > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
            >
            > - Evan

            I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things occur.
            First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two - as to when.
            Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible for the "docent"
            program, so I have someone to turn to who will be well informed by both
            MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I can't make it, someone to
            tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
            Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the MARCH
            "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH exhibit and our
            organization; just as other clubs will have their documents for us when we
            show their exhibits.

            In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about procedures,
            security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do they call? Stuff
            like that is important to document, when you need safety info you need it
            FAST. "Security" is about locking doors, checking alarms, or just who to
            call if someone is drunk.

            Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider two
            things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've asked
            about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they see. Making
            visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best interests. Second,
            it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do and say; it's satisfying
            to have a visitor say "thank you" when they have had a good experience.

            I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They have a
            strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's satisifying, and
            almost all our officers and active members come out of that program.
            Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be glad to share that info
            with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and examples, contact me privately.
            But I'm not prepared to be the "docent director". Things may be simple
            enough that you can perform that role, for now.

            Herb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
            address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
            days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
            floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

            what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
          • Greg N Shari (GMail)
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 9, 2006
              Evan,

              I could do a couple of days as long as I can get a ride with someone else there and back. I am located between Wilmington and Philadelphia. I would be available for either weekdays or weekends.

              Greg Manuel