Re: [midatlanticretro] As previously asked / re: museum volunteers?

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
      I'll have to think about it. If Jeff wouldn't mind doing the same day as me, I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'd be bored out of my mind, not that I'm not already out of my mind.

      Put me down for two days. It would have to be weekends preferrably.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
        Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
        It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were working
        the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if someone
        wants it.

        http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/

        I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler, if there's
        any interest.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
          Mike,
          What the heck bring it. I might be interested if the price is right.
          Bill

          At Thursday, 7 September 2006, you wrote:

          >Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
          >It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were
          working
          >the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if
          someone
          >wants it.
          >
          >http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/
          >
          > I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler,
          if there's
          >any interest.
          >
          >Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          >The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html
          >The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
          >Old Technology http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

          -- E N D --
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006

            > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
            >
            > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
            volunteer just
            > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
            involve
            > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
            tour, and
            > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
            whatever
            > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
            MARCH if
            > they're interested.
            >
            > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
            >
            > - Evan

            I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things
            occur. First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two -
            as to when. Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible
            for the "docent" program, so I have someone to turn to who will be
            well informed by both MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I
            can't make it, someone to tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
            Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the
            MARCH "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH
            exhibit and our organization; just as other clubs will have their
            documents for us when we show their exhibits.

            In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about
            procedures, security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do
            they call? Stuff like that is important to document, when you need
            safety info you need it FAST. "Security" is about locking doors,
            checking alarms, or just who to call if someone is drunk.

            Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider
            two things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've
            asked about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they
            see. Making visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best
            interests. Second, it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do
            and say; it's satisfying to have a visitor say "thank you" when they
            have had a good experience.

            I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They
            have a strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's
            satisifying, and almost all our officers and active members come out
            of that program. Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be
            glad to share that info with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and
            examples, contact me privately. But I'm not prepared to be the "docent
            director". Things may be simple enough that you can perform that role,
            for now.

            Herb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
              I'll be the point of contact, and there will be plenty of notice for
              scheduling.

              InfoAge has a fire safety officer who is making the safety program, etc.
              along with Fred.

              > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
              >
              > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
              volunteer just
              > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
              involve
              > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
              tour, and
              > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
              whatever
              > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
              MARCH if
              > they're interested.
              >
              > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
              >
              > - Evan

              I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things occur.
              First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two - as to when.
              Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible for the "docent"
              program, so I have someone to turn to who will be well informed by both
              MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I can't make it, someone to
              tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
              Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the MARCH
              "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH exhibit and our
              organization; just as other clubs will have their documents for us when we
              show their exhibits.

              In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about procedures,
              security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do they call? Stuff
              like that is important to document, when you need safety info you need it
              FAST. "Security" is about locking doors, checking alarms, or just who to
              call if someone is drunk.

              Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider two
              things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've asked
              about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they see. Making
              visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best interests. Second,
              it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do and say; it's satisfying
              to have a visitor say "thank you" when they have had a good experience.

              I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They have a
              strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's satisifying, and
              almost all our officers and active members come out of that program.
              Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be glad to share that info
              with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and examples, contact me privately.
              But I'm not prepared to be the "docent director". Things may be simple
              enough that you can perform that role, for now.

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
              href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
              address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
              days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
              floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

              what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
            • Greg N Shari (GMail)
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 9, 2006
                Evan,

                I could do a couple of days as long as I can get a ride with someone else there and back. I am located between Wilmington and Philadelphia. I would be available for either weekdays or weekends.

                Greg Manuel