RE: [midatlanticretro] As previously asked / re: museum volunteers?

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
      Put me down for two days. It would have to be weekends preferrably.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
        I'll have to think about it. If Jeff wouldn't mind doing the same day as me, I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'd be bored out of my mind, not that I'm not already out of my mind.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
          Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
          It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were working
          the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if someone
          wants it.

          http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/

          I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler, if there's
          any interest.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
            Mike,
            What the heck bring it. I might be interested if the price is right.
            Bill

            At Thursday, 7 September 2006, you wrote:

            >Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
            >It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were
            working
            >the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if
            someone
            >wants it.
            >
            >http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/
            >
            > I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler,
            if there's
            >any interest.
            >
            >Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            >The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html
            >The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
            >Old Technology http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

            -- E N D --
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006

              > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
              >
              > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
              volunteer just
              > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
              involve
              > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
              tour, and
              > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
              whatever
              > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
              MARCH if
              > they're interested.
              >
              > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
              >
              > - Evan

              I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things
              occur. First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two -
              as to when. Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible
              for the "docent" program, so I have someone to turn to who will be
              well informed by both MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I
              can't make it, someone to tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
              Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the
              MARCH "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH
              exhibit and our organization; just as other clubs will have their
              documents for us when we show their exhibits.

              In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about
              procedures, security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do
              they call? Stuff like that is important to document, when you need
              safety info you need it FAST. "Security" is about locking doors,
              checking alarms, or just who to call if someone is drunk.

              Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider
              two things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've
              asked about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they
              see. Making visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best
              interests. Second, it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do
              and say; it's satisfying to have a visitor say "thank you" when they
              have had a good experience.

              I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They
              have a strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's
              satisifying, and almost all our officers and active members come out
              of that program. Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be
              glad to share that info with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and
              examples, contact me privately. But I'm not prepared to be the "docent
              director". Things may be simple enough that you can perform that role,
              for now.

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
                I'll be the point of contact, and there will be plenty of notice for
                scheduling.

                InfoAge has a fire safety officer who is making the safety program, etc.
                along with Fred.

                > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
                >
                > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
                volunteer just
                > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
                involve
                > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
                tour, and
                > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
                whatever
                > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
                MARCH if
                > they're interested.
                >
                > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
                >
                > - Evan

                I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things occur.
                First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two - as to when.
                Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible for the "docent"
                program, so I have someone to turn to who will be well informed by both
                MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I can't make it, someone to
                tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
                Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the MARCH
                "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH exhibit and our
                organization; just as other clubs will have their documents for us when we
                show their exhibits.

                In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about procedures,
                security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do they call? Stuff
                like that is important to document, when you need safety info you need it
                FAST. "Security" is about locking doors, checking alarms, or just who to
                call if someone is drunk.

                Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider two
                things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've asked
                about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they see. Making
                visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best interests. Second,
                it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do and say; it's satisfying
                to have a visitor say "thank you" when they have had a good experience.

                I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They have a
                strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's satisifying, and
                almost all our officers and active members come out of that program.
                Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be glad to share that info
                with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and examples, contact me privately.
                But I'm not prepared to be the "docent director". Things may be simple
                enough that you can perform that role, for now.

                Herb Johnson

                Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
                address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
                days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
                floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

                what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
              • Greg N Shari (GMail)
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 9, 2006
                  Evan,

                  I could do a couple of days as long as I can get a ride with someone else there and back. I am located between Wilmington and Philadelphia. I would be available for either weekdays or weekends.

                  Greg Manuel