RE: [midatlanticretro] Star Trek 40th anniversary event -- update

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2006
      I could be there with a couple of tandy's and eatrly pc's running different versions.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Here's another update. I heard back from the show organizer today. At
        > first he said no and that we'd have to pay for a spot among the dealers. So
        > I sent him an impassioned reply, emphasizing that we're NOT a dealer --
        > anything but -- and that a kick-ass exhibit like our would help his show
        > MAKE money, not cost him money. That seemed to resonate. :) He said he'll
        > reconsider and will reply to me within another week or so. He also asked
        > exactly how much we'd need.
        >
        > So, I want to get him a really solid answer.
        >
        > We'd participate on Sat., Nov. 11. The location is a nice hotel in
        > Secaucus, NJ (right off the Turnpike near Giants Stadium.) Who is available
        > that day and exactly which vintage computers running which Star Trek games
        > would you demonstrate? Obviously this is a very timely request, so please
        > reply ASAP. I'd like to see a huge variety of systems and game versions.
        >
        > Also, can anyone do Star Trek on an Altair and/or PDP-11? That would really
        > illustrate our hobby vs. just having microcomputers. No boring PC emulators
        > allowed!
        >
        > - Evan

        I know you think I'm nuts, but there is a bit of a tie between OS/2 and
        Star Trek. Most of the Beta versions released after IBM split with
        Microsoft had Star Trek related names; OS/2 2.1 was Borg, OS/2 2.1 for
        Windows (The version which allowed you to use an already installed Windows
        3.1) was Ferengi, and the beta for 3.0 was Warp which IBM actually used for
        the release name, but then Paramount threatened to sue, so IBM changed the
        meaning to be warped as in strange rather than speed. And for the 1995
        release of OS/2 Warp 3.0, IBM hired both Lenard Nimoy and Kate Mulgrew to
        be present at the official product announcement. Somewhere I have a video
        of that event. It was very nerdy.

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        http://www.warpstock.org

        http://www.os2voice.org

        Investigation, 1938
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
          Yes, you're quite insane, which is why you fit in well here!

          Maybe we can find some other examples like this. The person who can help us
          is Digibarn's Bruce Damer. If the show organziers come through for us then
          I'll ping Bruce.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
            Even if we can't get some kind of Star Trek to run on an Altair, the
            connection of Star Trek and Altair is obvious enough to warrant bringing
            one of these along for a demonstration of the blinky lights, which kind of
            look star-treky.
            Bill

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
              There's also the story about how MITS got the name "Altair" from a Star Trek
              planetary reference -- but I've read that the story may or may not be true.

              Even if we can't get some kind of Star Trek to run on an Altair, the
              connection of Star Trek and Altair is obvious enough to warrant bringing one
              of these along for a demonstration of the blinky lights, which kind of look
              star-treky.
              Bill

              At 09:03 PM 9/11/2006 -0400, you wrote:
              >Yes, you're quite insane, which is why you fit in well here!
              >
              >Maybe we can find some other examples like this. The person who can
              >help us is Digibarn's Bruce Damer. If the show organziers come through
              >for us then I'll ping Bruce.

              >Star Trek. Most of the Beta versions released after IBM split with
              >Microsoft had Star Trek related names; OS/2 2.1 was Borg, OS/2 2.1 for
              >Windows (The version which allowed you to use an already installed
              >Windows
              >3.1) was Ferengi, and the beta for 3.0 was Warp which IBM actually used
              >for the release name, but then Paramount threatened to sue, so IBM
              >changed the meaning to be warped as in strange rather than speed. And
              >for the 1995 release of OS/2 Warp 3.0, IBM hired both Lenard Nimoy and
              >Kate Mulgrew to be present at the official product announcement.
              >Somewhere I have a video of that event. It was very nerdy.
              >
              >Mark

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • blueringice
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                My sons played the Processor Technology Trek-80 on an Altair
                equipped with a PT VDM board. I have a copy of the manual and binary
                which I downloaded from Jim Battles Sol site.

                Nick Lordi

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                  that's what I was referring to.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 12, 2006
                    >>that the story may or may not be true

                    This would be a true statement about ANY story.

                    Jim  <chuckling>

                    There's also the story about how MITS got the name "Altair" from a Star Trek
                    planetary reference -- but I've read that the story may or may not be true.

                    Even if we can't get some kind of Star Trek to run on an Altair, the
                    connection of Star Trek and Altair is obvious enough to warrant bringing one
                    of these along for a demonstration of the blinky lights, which kind of look
                    star-treky.
                    Bill

                    At 09:03 PM 9/11/2006 -0400, you wrote:

                    >Yes, you're quite insane, which is why you fit in well here!
                    >
                    >Maybe we can find some other examples like this. The person who can
                    >help us is Digibarn's Bruce Damer. If the show organziers come through
                    >for us then I'll ping Bruce.

                    >Star Trek. Most of the Beta versions released after IBM split with
                    >Microsoft had Star Trek related names; OS/2 2.1 was Borg, OS/2 2.1 for
                    >Windows (The version which allowed you to use an already installed
                    >Windows
                    >3.1) was Ferengi, and the beta for 3.0 was Warp which IBM actually used
                    >for the release name, but then Paramount threatened to sue, so IBM
                    >changed the meaning to be warped as in strange rather than speed. And
                    >for the 1995 release of OS/2 Warp 3.0, IBM hired both Lenard Nimoy and
                    >Kate Mulgrew to be present at the official product announcement.
                    >Somewhere I have a video of that event. It was very nerdy.
                    >
                    >Mark

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 13, 2006

                      Vill Degnan wrote:

                      > that's what I was referring to.

                      This is an old question. I've researched on the Web, which has reports
                      from first and second-hand sources. See my notes and links at this link:

                      http://retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_origins.html

                      But the upshot is that the MITS Altair 8800 was most likely named
                      based on a reference to "Altair" from a Star Trek episode. WHO named
                      it varies from report to report. The predominant explanation is it was
                      a young daughter of Les Solomon, the editor of Popular Electronics
                      where the computer was offered as a kit). Others say it was named by
                      the daughter of Ed Roberts (designer of the Altair and MITS founder),
                      or named by one of the other Pop 'Tronics staff.

                      Here's a link to an Ed Roberts interview:

                      http://www.virtualaltair.com/virtualaltair.com/mits0011.asp

                      Oddly enough, while the interviewer's posted article describes Les
                      Solomon's daughter and Star Trek as the source, his dialog with
                      Roberts in the article does not show that Roberts confirms this.

                      The name "Altair" was already in technical and popular culture in the
                      era. Orginally it is the name of a star. But "Altair" was also the
                      daughter of the scientist in the Disney movie "Forbidden Planet" in
                      the late 60's; then it became the name of a planet visited in a Star
                      Trek episode. That Star Trek episode: "Amok Time", episode 34 -
                      original airdate: 9/16/1967.

                      Herb Johnson
                      look for my signature line elsewhere
                      too busy to add it today