Re: [midatlanticretro] As previously asked / re: museum volunteers?

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6 7:07 PM
      Evan,
      You can put me on the list.
      Bill

      At Wednesday, 6 September 2006, you wrote:

      >I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
      >
      >InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can volunteer
      just
      >** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
      involve
      >welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
      tour, and
      >pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
      whatever
      >they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus
      on MARCH if
      >they're interested.
      >
      >InfoAge wants a list of all potential volunteers -- actually they
      wanted the
      >list a couple of weeks ago. In addition to being fun and getting the
      >satisfaction of seeing InfoAge actually be "open" to the public,
      this is a
      >great way for MARCH to do its part for the overall cause, without
      having to
      >make any major time or monetary commitments.
      >
      >Any and all volunteers are welcome. I intend to volunteer for several
      days,
      >but that's an exception since I live nearby and don't have wifely
      or child
      >obligations.
      >
      >Of course, everyone is welcome to bring along a friend, portable
      DVD player,
      >or whatever you wish to pass the time if nobody happens to show
      up on your
      >volunteer day. Or better yet, you could use the time to work on
      restoring
      >an old computer, building an exhibit, doing some InfoAge project of
      >interest, etc.
      >
      >Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
      >
      >- Evan

      -- E N D --
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6 8:19 PM
        To follow is a listing of the items committed to the swap meet so far.

        http://marchclub.org/swapmeet_listing.cfm

        We can't have enough items!
        Reply to this email with your lists of items for sale/trade/wanted, even if they are just paragraphs/summaries or even just one item.    Your name will not be posted on the marchclub.org web site, unless you want to be contacted.

        Note - Proceeds from donated items that are sold will be donated to MARCH for future events and expenses.

        Bill D
      • Kelly Leavitt

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7 4:37 AM
            I'll have to think about it. If Jeff wouldn't mind doing the same day as me, I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'd be bored out of my mind, not that I'm not already out of my mind.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7 5:25 AM
              Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
              It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were working
              the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if someone
              wants it.

              http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/

              I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler, if there's
              any interest.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 7 9:47 AM
                Mike,
                What the heck bring it. I might be interested if the price is right.
                Bill

                At Thursday, 7 September 2006, you wrote:

                >Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
                >It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were
                working
                >the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if
                someone
                >wants it.
                >
                >http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/
                >
                > I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler,
                if there's
                >any interest.
                >
                >Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                >The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html
                >The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
                >Old Technology http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

                -- E N D --
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 7 10:24 AM

                  > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
                  >
                  > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
                  volunteer just
                  > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
                  involve
                  > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
                  tour, and
                  > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
                  whatever
                  > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
                  MARCH if
                  > they're interested.
                  >
                  > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
                  >
                  > - Evan

                  I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things
                  occur. First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two -
                  as to when. Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible
                  for the "docent" program, so I have someone to turn to who will be
                  well informed by both MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I
                  can't make it, someone to tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
                  Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the
                  MARCH "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH
                  exhibit and our organization; just as other clubs will have their
                  documents for us when we show their exhibits.

                  In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about
                  procedures, security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do
                  they call? Stuff like that is important to document, when you need
                  safety info you need it FAST. "Security" is about locking doors,
                  checking alarms, or just who to call if someone is drunk.

                  Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider
                  two things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've
                  asked about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they
                  see. Making visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best
                  interests. Second, it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do
                  and say; it's satisfying to have a visitor say "thank you" when they
                  have had a good experience.

                  I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They
                  have a strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's
                  satisifying, and almost all our officers and active members come out
                  of that program. Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be
                  glad to share that info with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and
                  examples, contact me privately. But I'm not prepared to be the "docent
                  director". Things may be simple enough that you can perform that role,
                  for now.

                  Herb Johnson

                  Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 7 10:31 AM
                    I'll be the point of contact, and there will be plenty of notice for
                    scheduling.

                    InfoAge has a fire safety officer who is making the safety program, etc.
                    along with Fred.

                    > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
                    >
                    > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
                    volunteer just
                    > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
                    involve
                    > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
                    tour, and
                    > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
                    whatever
                    > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
                    MARCH if
                    > they're interested.
                    >
                    > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
                    >
                    > - Evan

                    I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things occur.
                    First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two - as to when.
                    Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible for the "docent"
                    program, so I have someone to turn to who will be well informed by both
                    MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I can't make it, someone to
                    tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
                    Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the MARCH
                    "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH exhibit and our
                    organization; just as other clubs will have their documents for us when we
                    show their exhibits.

                    In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about procedures,
                    security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do they call? Stuff
                    like that is important to document, when you need safety info you need it
                    FAST. "Security" is about locking doors, checking alarms, or just who to
                    call if someone is drunk.

                    Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider two
                    things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've asked
                    about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they see. Making
                    visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best interests. Second,
                    it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do and say; it's satisfying
                    to have a visitor say "thank you" when they have had a good experience.

                    I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They have a
                    strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's satisifying, and
                    almost all our officers and active members come out of that program.
                    Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be glad to share that info
                    with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and examples, contact me privately.
                    But I'm not prepared to be the "docent director". Things may be simple
                    enough that you can perform that role, for now.

                    Herb Johnson

                    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                    href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
                    address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
                    days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
                    floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

                    what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
                  • Greg N Shari (GMail)
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 9 2:00 AM
                      Evan,

                      I could do a couple of days as long as I can get a ride with someone else there and back. I am located between Wilmington and Philadelphia. I would be available for either weekdays or weekends.

                      Greg Manuel