As previously asked / re: museum volunteers?

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 2006
      I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.

      InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can volunteer just
      ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would involve
      welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple tour, and
      pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of whatever
      they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on MARCH if
      they're interested.

      InfoAge wants a list of all potential volunteers -- actually they wanted the
      list a couple of weeks ago. In addition to being fun and getting the
      satisfaction of seeing InfoAge actually be "open" to the public, this is a
      great way for MARCH to do its part for the overall cause, without having to
      make any major time or monetary commitments.

      Any and all volunteers are welcome. I intend to volunteer for several days,
      but that's an exception since I live nearby and don't have wifely or child
      obligations.

      Of course, everyone is welcome to bring along a friend, portable DVD player,
      or whatever you wish to pass the time if nobody happens to show up on your
      volunteer day. Or better yet, you could use the time to work on restoring
      an old computer, building an exhibit, doing some InfoAge project of
      interest, etc.

      Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6, 2006
        Evan,
        You can put me on the list.
        Bill

        At Wednesday, 6 September 2006, you wrote:

        >I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
        >
        >InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can volunteer
        just
        >** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
        involve
        >welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
        tour, and
        >pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
        whatever
        >they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus
        on MARCH if
        >they're interested.
        >
        >InfoAge wants a list of all potential volunteers -- actually they
        wanted the
        >list a couple of weeks ago. In addition to being fun and getting the
        >satisfaction of seeing InfoAge actually be "open" to the public,
        this is a
        >great way for MARCH to do its part for the overall cause, without
        having to
        >make any major time or monetary commitments.
        >
        >Any and all volunteers are welcome. I intend to volunteer for several
        days,
        >but that's an exception since I live nearby and don't have wifely
        or child
        >obligations.
        >
        >Of course, everyone is welcome to bring along a friend, portable
        DVD player,
        >or whatever you wish to pass the time if nobody happens to show
        up on your
        >volunteer day. Or better yet, you could use the time to work on
        restoring
        >an old computer, building an exhibit, doing some InfoAge project of
        >interest, etc.
        >
        >Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
        >
        >- Evan

        -- E N D --
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 6, 2006
          To follow is a listing of the items committed to the swap meet so far.

          http://marchclub.org/swapmeet_listing.cfm

          We can't have enough items!
          Reply to this email with your lists of items for sale/trade/wanted, even if they are just paragraphs/summaries or even just one item.    Your name will not be posted on the marchclub.org web site, unless you want to be contacted.

          Note - Proceeds from donated items that are sold will be donated to MARCH for future events and expenses.

          Bill D
        • Kelly Leavitt

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
              I'll have to think about it. If Jeff wouldn't mind doing the same day as me, I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'd be bored out of my mind, not that I'm not already out of my mind.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
                Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
                It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were working
                the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if someone
                wants it.

                http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/

                I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler, if there's
                any interest.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
                  Mike,
                  What the heck bring it. I might be interested if the price is right.
                  Bill

                  At Thursday, 7 September 2006, you wrote:

                  >Is there any interest in a mid-80s Multitech modem rack, model CC216?
                  >It has eight 1200bps modems installed, at least 5 of which were
                  working
                  >the last time I tested it. I can bring it to the swap meet, if
                  someone
                  >wants it.
                  >
                  >http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Modems/
                  >
                  > I also have an extra Digicom AC312 300bps accoustic coupler,
                  if there's
                  >any interest.
                  >
                  >Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  >The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html
                  >The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
                  >Old Technology http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

                  -- E N D --
                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006

                    > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
                    >
                    > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
                    volunteer just
                    > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
                    involve
                    > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
                    tour, and
                    > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
                    whatever
                    > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
                    MARCH if
                    > they're interested.
                    >
                    > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
                    >
                    > - Evan

                    I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things
                    occur. First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two -
                    as to when. Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible
                    for the "docent" program, so I have someone to turn to who will be
                    well informed by both MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I
                    can't make it, someone to tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
                    Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the
                    MARCH "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH
                    exhibit and our organization; just as other clubs will have their
                    documents for us when we show their exhibits.

                    In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about
                    procedures, security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do
                    they call? Stuff like that is important to document, when you need
                    safety info you need it FAST. "Security" is about locking doors,
                    checking alarms, or just who to call if someone is drunk.

                    Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider
                    two things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've
                    asked about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they
                    see. Making visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best
                    interests. Second, it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do
                    and say; it's satisfying to have a visitor say "thank you" when they
                    have had a good experience.

                    I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They
                    have a strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's
                    satisifying, and almost all our officers and active members come out
                    of that program. Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be
                    glad to share that info with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and
                    examples, contact me privately. But I'm not prepared to be the "docent
                    director". Things may be simple enough that you can perform that role,
                    for now.

                    Herb Johnson

                    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 7, 2006
                      I'll be the point of contact, and there will be plenty of notice for
                      scheduling.

                      InfoAge has a fire safety officer who is making the safety program, etc.
                      along with Fred.

                      > I asked this a while ago and nobody replied.
                      >
                      > InfoAge is looking for people from each member group who can
                      volunteer just
                      > ** ONE DAY ** per year. It would be a Saturday or Sunday and would
                      involve
                      > welcoming any visitors to the main building, giving them a simple
                      tour, and
                      > pointing them to the preview room and/or information documents of
                      whatever
                      > they are interested in learning about. Of course you can focus on
                      MARCH if
                      > they're interested.
                      >
                      > Please let me know. Feel free to go off-list as well...
                      >
                      > - Evan

                      I'll be glad to volunteer one or two days a year, provided two things occur.
                      First, I'm notified well in advance - more than a week or two - as to when.
                      Second, that MARCH appoint someone who will be responsible for the "docent"
                      program, so I have someone to turn to who will be well informed by both
                      MARCH and by InfoAge, someone I can contact if I can't make it, someone to
                      tell me if InfoAge has issues, etc. etc.
                      Also, this person is the logical person to write and maintain the MARCH
                      "docent document" which informs the docents about our MARCH exhibit and our
                      organization; just as other clubs will have their documents for us when we
                      show their exhibits.

                      In addition, our docents will need documents from InfoAge about procedures,
                      security, and SAFETY. If a visitor cuts their hand, who do they call? Stuff
                      like that is important to document, when you need safety info you need it
                      FAST. "Security" is about locking doors, checking alarms, or just who to
                      call if someone is drunk.

                      Does this sound too complicated, or boring, or scary? Well, consider two
                      things. First, where will MARCH get those "local" members you've asked
                      about? Probably from LOCAL VISITORS who are happy with what they see. Making
                      visitors happy, keeping them safe, is in MARCH's best interests. Second,
                      it's more FUN for the "docents" to know what to do and say; it's satisfying
                      to have a visitor say "thank you" when they have had a good experience.

                      I have a clue about this stuff, from another club I belong to. They have a
                      strong visitor's program well worked out. It's fun, it's satisifying, and
                      almost all our officers and active members come out of that program.
                      Certainly our new members come from visitors. I'd be glad to share that info
                      with you, Evan, to provide some guidance and examples, contact me privately.
                      But I'm not prepared to be the "docent director". Things may be simple
                      enough that you can perform that role, for now.

                      Herb Johnson

                      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                      href="http://retrotechnology.net/herbs_stuff/"> domain mirror</a> my email
                      address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com if no reply, try in a few
                      days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch
                      floppy drives S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

                      what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email.
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/S_NqlB/TM
                    • Greg N Shari (GMail)
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 9, 2006
                        Evan,

                        I could do a couple of days as long as I can get a ride with someone else there and back. I am located between Wilmington and Philadelphia. I would be available for either weekdays or weekends.

                        Greg Manuel