RE: [midatlanticretro] Star Trek 40th anniversary event -- update

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
      Here's another update. I heard back from the show organizer today. At
      first he said no and that we'd have to pay for a spot among the dealers. So
      I sent him an impassioned reply, emphasizing that we're NOT a dealer --
      anything but -- and that a kick-ass exhibit like our would help his show
      MAKE money, not cost him money. That seemed to resonate. :) He said he'll
      reconsider and will reply to me within another week or so. He also asked
      exactly how much we'd need.

      So, I want to get him a really solid answer.

      We'd participate on Sat., Nov. 11. The location is a nice hotel in
      Secaucus, NJ (right off the Turnpike near Giants Stadium.) Who is available
      that day and exactly which vintage computers running which Star Trek games
      would you demonstrate? Obviously this is a very timely request, so please
      reply ASAP. I'd like to see a huge variety of systems and game versions.

      Also, can anyone do Star Trek on an Altair and/or PDP-11? That would really
      illustrate our hobby vs. just having microcomputers. No boring PC emulators
      allowed!

      - Evan

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
        I can't go, I will be on vacation...but I have a lot of Star Trek
        software for 6502 platform computers (Apple II, Commodore Pet) if
        anyone wants a copy on tape. I also have Star Trek programs for
        TI 99/4a, Commodore 64, probably Atari 400/800. Let me know privately.

        Bill

        At Wednesday, 6 September 2006, you wrote:

        >Here's another update. I heard back from the show organizer today. At
        >first he said no and that we'd have to pay for a spot among the
        dealers. So
        >I sent him an impassioned reply, emphasizing that we're NOT a dealer --
        >anything but -- and that a kick-ass exhibit like our would help
        his show
        >MAKE money, not cost him money. That seemed to resonate. :) He
        said he'll
        >reconsider and will reply to me within another week or so. He also
        asked
        >exactly how much we'd need.
        >
        >So, I want to get him a really solid answer.
        >
        >We'd participate on Sat., Nov. 11. The location is a nice hotel in
        >Secaucus, NJ (right off the Turnpike near Giants Stadium.) Who
        is available
        >that day and exactly which vintage computers running which Star
        Trek games
        >would you demonstrate? Obviously this is a very timely request,
        so please
        >reply ASAP. I'd like to see a huge variety of systems and game
        versions.

        >Also, can anyone do Star Trek on an Altair and/or PDP-11? That
        would really
        >illustrate our hobby vs. just having microcomputers. No boring
        PC emulators
        >allowed!
        >
        >- Evan

        -- E N D --
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2006
          I could be there with a couple of tandy's and eatrly pc's running different versions.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > Here's another update. I heard back from the show organizer today. At
            > first he said no and that we'd have to pay for a spot among the dealers. So
            > I sent him an impassioned reply, emphasizing that we're NOT a dealer --
            > anything but -- and that a kick-ass exhibit like our would help his show
            > MAKE money, not cost him money. That seemed to resonate. :) He said he'll
            > reconsider and will reply to me within another week or so. He also asked
            > exactly how much we'd need.
            >
            > So, I want to get him a really solid answer.
            >
            > We'd participate on Sat., Nov. 11. The location is a nice hotel in
            > Secaucus, NJ (right off the Turnpike near Giants Stadium.) Who is available
            > that day and exactly which vintage computers running which Star Trek games
            > would you demonstrate? Obviously this is a very timely request, so please
            > reply ASAP. I'd like to see a huge variety of systems and game versions.
            >
            > Also, can anyone do Star Trek on an Altair and/or PDP-11? That would really
            > illustrate our hobby vs. just having microcomputers. No boring PC emulators
            > allowed!
            >
            > - Evan

            I know you think I'm nuts, but there is a bit of a tie between OS/2 and
            Star Trek. Most of the Beta versions released after IBM split with
            Microsoft had Star Trek related names; OS/2 2.1 was Borg, OS/2 2.1 for
            Windows (The version which allowed you to use an already installed Windows
            3.1) was Ferengi, and the beta for 3.0 was Warp which IBM actually used for
            the release name, but then Paramount threatened to sue, so IBM changed the
            meaning to be warped as in strange rather than speed. And for the 1995
            release of OS/2 Warp 3.0, IBM hired both Lenard Nimoy and Kate Mulgrew to
            be present at the official product announcement. Somewhere I have a video
            of that event. It was very nerdy.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            http://www.warpstock.org

            http://www.os2voice.org

            Investigation, 1938
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
              Yes, you're quite insane, which is why you fit in well here!

              Maybe we can find some other examples like this. The person who can help us
              is Digibarn's Bruce Damer. If the show organziers come through for us then
              I'll ping Bruce.

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                Even if we can't get some kind of Star Trek to run on an Altair, the
                connection of Star Trek and Altair is obvious enough to warrant bringing
                one of these along for a demonstration of the blinky lights, which kind of
                look star-treky.
                Bill

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                  There's also the story about how MITS got the name "Altair" from a Star Trek
                  planetary reference -- but I've read that the story may or may not be true.

                  Even if we can't get some kind of Star Trek to run on an Altair, the
                  connection of Star Trek and Altair is obvious enough to warrant bringing one
                  of these along for a demonstration of the blinky lights, which kind of look
                  star-treky.
                  Bill

                  At 09:03 PM 9/11/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Yes, you're quite insane, which is why you fit in well here!
                  >
                  >Maybe we can find some other examples like this. The person who can
                  >help us is Digibarn's Bruce Damer. If the show organziers come through
                  >for us then I'll ping Bruce.

                  >Star Trek. Most of the Beta versions released after IBM split with
                  >Microsoft had Star Trek related names; OS/2 2.1 was Borg, OS/2 2.1 for
                  >Windows (The version which allowed you to use an already installed
                  >Windows
                  >3.1) was Ferengi, and the beta for 3.0 was Warp which IBM actually used
                  >for the release name, but then Paramount threatened to sue, so IBM
                  >changed the meaning to be warped as in strange rather than speed. And
                  >for the 1995 release of OS/2 Warp 3.0, IBM hired both Lenard Nimoy and
                  >Kate Mulgrew to be present at the official product announcement.
                  >Somewhere I have a video of that event. It was very nerdy.
                  >
                  >Mark

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • blueringice
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                    My sons played the Processor Technology Trek-80 on an Altair
                    equipped with a PT VDM board. I have a copy of the manual and binary
                    which I downloaded from Jim Battles Sol site.

                    Nick Lordi

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                      that's what I was referring to.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 12, 2006
                        >>that the story may or may not be true

                        This would be a true statement about ANY story.

                        Jim  <chuckling>

                        There's also the story about how MITS got the name "Altair" from a Star Trek
                        planetary reference -- but I've read that the story may or may not be true.

                        Even if we can't get some kind of Star Trek to run on an Altair, the
                        connection of Star Trek and Altair is obvious enough to warrant bringing one
                        of these along for a demonstration of the blinky lights, which kind of look
                        star-treky.
                        Bill

                        At 09:03 PM 9/11/2006 -0400, you wrote:

                        >Yes, you're quite insane, which is why you fit in well here!
                        >
                        >Maybe we can find some other examples like this. The person who can
                        >help us is Digibarn's Bruce Damer. If the show organziers come through
                        >for us then I'll ping Bruce.

                        >Star Trek. Most of the Beta versions released after IBM split with
                        >Microsoft had Star Trek related names; OS/2 2.1 was Borg, OS/2 2.1 for
                        >Windows (The version which allowed you to use an already installed
                        >Windows
                        >3.1) was Ferengi, and the beta for 3.0 was Warp which IBM actually used
                        >for the release name, but then Paramount threatened to sue, so IBM
                        >changed the meaning to be warped as in strange rather than speed. And
                        >for the 1995 release of OS/2 Warp 3.0, IBM hired both Lenard Nimoy and
                        >Kate Mulgrew to be present at the official product announcement.
                        >Somewhere I have a video of that event. It was very nerdy.
                        >
                        >Mark

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Herb Johnson
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 13, 2006

                          Vill Degnan wrote:

                          > that's what I was referring to.

                          This is an old question. I've researched on the Web, which has reports
                          from first and second-hand sources. See my notes and links at this link:

                          http://retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_origins.html

                          But the upshot is that the MITS Altair 8800 was most likely named
                          based on a reference to "Altair" from a Star Trek episode. WHO named
                          it varies from report to report. The predominant explanation is it was
                          a young daughter of Les Solomon, the editor of Popular Electronics
                          where the computer was offered as a kit). Others say it was named by
                          the daughter of Ed Roberts (designer of the Altair and MITS founder),
                          or named by one of the other Pop 'Tronics staff.

                          Here's a link to an Ed Roberts interview:

                          http://www.virtualaltair.com/virtualaltair.com/mits0011.asp

                          Oddly enough, while the interviewer's posted article describes Les
                          Solomon's daughter and Star Trek as the source, his dialog with
                          Roberts in the article does not show that Roberts confirms this.

                          The name "Altair" was already in technical and popular culture in the
                          era. Orginally it is the name of a star. But "Altair" was also the
                          daughter of the scientist in the Disney movie "Forbidden Planet" in
                          the late 60's; then it became the name of a planet visited in a Star
                          Trek episode. That Star Trek episode: "Amok Time", episode 34 -
                          original airdate: 9/16/1967.

                          Herb Johnson
                          look for my signature line elsewhere
                          too busy to add it today