Videx (was Apple II Troubleshooting Question)

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
      Installed in my Apple ][+ I have a Videx expansion card and Videx
      controller in an IC slot.

      I think "1980" is printed on the card. To a connector on the expansion
      card there is a cable connected on the other end to a small Videx
      "expansion controller" board that had been fit into an open IC space near
      the game I/O circuitry.

      The computer itself has a RAM problem so I have not actually used it enough
      to figure out exactly what you get with the Videx card and controller. I
      assume it's for better graphics or gaming.

      As part of testing I removed the Videx cards and it made no difference to
      improve the RAM situation. It's still on the to-be-fixed table. I have
      to do what you did, check each chip, etc. I am in the middle of some other
      projects so I won't be able to get to this until next week.

      FYI - Here is what the screen looks like:

      ???????????
      @@@@@@
      ???????????
      @@@@@@
      etc.

      Bill D

      >That is about it right now, I'm not sure what to try next. As I think I
      >said before, it had a
      >Videx Keyboard and Video Enhancer card installed, which I removed. I
      >called Videx (Still in
      >business!) and an old timer dug up a manual and photocopied it for me. He
      >put it in the
      >mail, and I should get it this week. I can check that to see what mods may
      >have been done
      >to the board, but it really looks like there weren't any.
      >
      >Is anyone familiar with this Videx board that may know?
    • macmothership
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
        Bill,
        Sounds like you may have the Enhancer II. Mine was just the single board that piggybacked
        on the mainboard under the keyboard.