Re: Apple II Troubleshooting Question

  • macmothership
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
      I'm going to try Herb's suggestion to see if it reads a disk, but I suspect it will. It seems to
      function. I just got a complete new ROM set I am going to try as well, although swapping
      with the II+ didn't change the symptoms.
      I've had a suggestion that the charactor ROM may be the problem. Is that the charactor
      generator that you mention? The large chip under the keyboard location?

      I did swap this with the II+ when doing the chip swap with no change in symptoms. The
      chip in the II looks weird, though. It is brown, has a clear circular window in the middle,
      and is marked with a large lower case letter i. But as I said swapping it didn't change
      anything.

      I know the Apple II isn't a REV 0 (It has the extra pin behind the video port) but other than
      that, I don't know any other details. I am using the B&W (green, actually) Apple tilting
      monitor

      Thanks!
      Jim

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "buseyl" <buseyl@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > and ][+ motherboards are? Do you know firmware does your Apple has
      > (autostart or old monitor, integer or Applesoft BASIC)?
      >
      > Good news. You get video, can move the cursor with the keyboard, and
      > get the machine to beep with ctrl-G so your Apple mostly works. I
      > wonder. Are you using a color monitor with your ][? Is the garbage
      > color (lores) or mono (text)? I'd be curious to see if hires is
      > working. The Applevision demo on the DOS 3.3 System Master disk would
      > probably give you a good idea but that may be hard to type in blind.
      >
      > There're a lot of knowledgeable people here. I think the prognosis for
      > your Apple is good.
      >
      > Liam
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
      > <macmothership@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I just want to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to
      > respond. It really means
      > > alot to me, and when I eventually get this one working it will be
      > quite a pleasure to display
      > > it at upcoming MARCH events. It took me a long time to find an Apple
      > II and I had almost
      > > given up hope, so I had to jump on this one, even though it had
      > problems. Cosmetically it
      > > is quite good. Thanks again for your help so far.
      > >
      > > Jim
      > >
      > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, BOYD BORRILL <b.r.borrill@>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Evan;
      > > > I've been following this thread all day and would like to make
      > an offer. I have a book
      > > published by SAMS, entitled "The Apple II Circuit Description" by
      > Winston D. Gaylor.
      > > > It is abut 2 inches thick, spiral bound and contains a complete
      > set of circuit
      > > descriptions for every revision of the Apple II from the olriginal
      > through the Apple II +. It
      > > includes timing diagrams, waveforms, keyboard differences and
      > circuit/logic diagrams. It
      > > thorolughly covers circuit analysis and how to tell the differences
      > by the numbers of the
      > > various models.
      > > > I have sold two copies of this book on E-bay for up to $55.00. I
      > recently found this
      > > copy in a local thrift store and bought it. Considering the content
      > of this thread I would
      > > like to offer the following: I will give this book to MARCH as a
      > contribution to pay my initial
      > > financial offering (because I have no cash anymore). I would suggest
      > that MARCH make it
      > > available to members as needed, like a "lending Library" and
      > otherwise keep it displayed in
      > > the museum. It would save a lot of internet searching.
      > > > Given a p;ositive response from you, and a mailing address, I
      > could have it in your
      > > hands in about a week.
      > > > Ray
      > > >
      > > > Evan Koblentz <evan@> wrote:
      > > > I'd guess that someone on classiccmp must have it.

    • Bob Grieb
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
        Jim,

        If you go to www.1000bit.net, then to the manuals
        section, and select Apple, you can find a complete
        copy of the Apple ][ ref manual. Unfortunately, the
        scanning job is not great so the schematics are
        pretty much unusable, but it also has a description of
        how the video section works.

        I downloaded something called
        the Apple II mini manual, and on page 60 it has a
        complete schem of just the video circuit. This should
        help you to see how things are set up. A5 is the location
        on the circuit board of the char gen EPROM, a 2513 type.

        With a 'scope and this schem, you should be able to
        see what's not working.

        Bob Grieb

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • macmothership
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
          Here is where we are. There is no change in the symptoms to this point.

          I have swapped every chip with an Apple II+ (except the two 555's which are soldered on
          the II+) with the Apple II. No change.

          I have buzzed out every pin on every chip to the solder point under the board for
          continuity. Every single chip pin was ok. (THAT was tedious!)

          I have checked all resistors to the proper value and they all check out.

          It does not try to access the disk drive on booting, like the II+.

          That is about it right now, I'm not sure what to try next. As I think I said before, it had a
          Videx Keyboard and Video Enhancer card installed, which I removed. I called Videx (Still in
          business!) and an old timer dug up a manual and photocopied it for me. He put it in the
          mail, and I should get it this week. I can check that to see what mods may have been done
          to the board, but it really looks like there weren't any.

          Is anyone familiar with this Videx board that may know?

          Any help would be appreciated, as always.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
            Installed in my Apple ][+ I have a Videx expansion card and Videx
            controller in an IC slot.

            I think "1980" is printed on the card. To a connector on the expansion
            card there is a cable connected on the other end to a small Videx
            "expansion controller" board that had been fit into an open IC space near
            the game I/O circuitry.

            The computer itself has a RAM problem so I have not actually used it enough
            to figure out exactly what you get with the Videx card and controller. I
            assume it's for better graphics or gaming.

            As part of testing I removed the Videx cards and it made no difference to
            improve the RAM situation. It's still on the to-be-fixed table. I have
            to do what you did, check each chip, etc. I am in the middle of some other
            projects so I won't be able to get to this until next week.

            FYI - Here is what the screen looks like:

            @@@@@@
            @@@@@@
            etc.

            Bill D

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
              Bill,
              Sounds like you may have the Enhancer II. Mine was just the single board that piggybacked
              on the mainboard under the keyboard.