Re: Apple II Troubleshooting Question

  • buseyl
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 30, 2006
      Hi Jim, I just read about your Apple troubles (I get the digest). It's
      kind of late tonight but maybe I can help. I have an Apple ][ rev 0
      and an Apple ][+ rev RFI D. All revisions of the Apple and Apple ][+
      are very similar but there are differences so you should be careful
      about swapping parts. For instance, the character generator in IIRC
      rev 7 Apples on up was changed to be pin compatible with a 2716 EPROM
      to allow for custom character sets. If you swap incompatible character
      generators something could get cooked. Do you know what revs your ][
      and ][+ motherboards are? Do you know firmware does your Apple has
      (autostart or old monitor, integer or Applesoft BASIC)?

      Good news. You get video, can move the cursor with the keyboard, and
      get the machine to beep with ctrl-G so your Apple mostly works. I
      wonder. Are you using a color monitor with your ][? Is the garbage
      color (lores) or mono (text)? I'd be curious to see if hires is
      working. The Applevision demo on the DOS 3.3 System Master disk would
      probably give you a good idea but that may be hard to type in blind.

      There're a lot of knowledgeable people here. I think the prognosis for
      your Apple is good.

      Liam

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
      <macmothership@...> wrote:

      > I just want to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to
      respond. It really means
      > alot to me, and when I eventually get this one working it will be
      quite a pleasure to display
      > it at upcoming MARCH events. It took me a long time to find an Apple
      II and I had almost
      > given up hope, so I had to jump on this one, even though it had
      problems. Cosmetically it
      > is quite good. Thanks again for your help so far.
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, BOYD BORRILL <b.r.borrill@>
      wrote:

      > > Hi Evan;
      > > I've been following this thread all day and would like to make
      an offer. I have a book
      > published by SAMS, entitled "The Apple II Circuit Description" by
      Winston D. Gaylor.
      > > It is abut 2 inches thick, spiral bound and contains a complete
      set of circuit
      > descriptions for every revision of the Apple II from the olriginal
      through the Apple II +. It
      > includes timing diagrams, waveforms, keyboard differences and
      circuit/logic diagrams. It
      > thorolughly covers circuit analysis and how to tell the differences
      by the numbers of the
      > various models.
      > > I have sold two copies of this book on E-bay for up to $55.00. I
      recently found this
      > copy in a local thrift store and bought it. Considering the content
      of this thread I would
      > like to offer the following: I will give this book to MARCH as a
      contribution to pay my initial
      > financial offering (because I have no cash anymore). I would suggest
      that MARCH make it
      > available to members as needed, like a "lending Library" and
      otherwise keep it displayed in
      > the museum. It would save a lot of internet searching.
      > > Given a p;ositive response from you, and a mailing address, I
      could have it in your
      > hands in about a week.
      > > Ray
      > >
      > > Evan Koblentz <evan@> wrote:
      > > I'd guess that someone on classiccmp must have it.
      Perhaps someone like
      > > Hans Franke...?
      > >
      > > Or how about you, Tom Owad?
      > >
      > > Or just send an email to Sellam (sellam@) .... He'll either
      > > have it or know who does.

      II+ for
      > > > some time, but just never found an origiinal II for the right
      price.
      > > > But this one has a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
      > > >
      > > > . The computer turns on with a normal beep.
      > > > . The monitor lights up, but with a set of maybe 4 pixel wide
      bars a
      > > > pixel or so two apart vertically up the screen. In the lower left
      > > > there is a blinking "cursor", which is actually a block of
      pixels the
      > > > size of a character in the second bar, that blinks like a cursor.
      > > > . The "cursor responds to keyboard input by moving to the right
      just
      > > > like it should, but no text.
      > > > The reset button functions normally, with a beep and a "return"
      of the
      > > > cursor on screen.
      > > > . "Control + G" rings the bell
      > > > . Typing "Load + Return" cycles through about 10 lines and goes
      back
      > > > to the blinking "cursor"
      > > >
      > > > Over the weekend, I switched out every chip that is socketed
      from the
      > > > Apple II+ to the apple II one section or row at a time. I did RAM,
      > > > ROMS, processor, everything. (that was a tedious job!) Each and
      every
      > > > time there was no change in the symptoms. Also, I tried the II+
      power
      > > > supply and keyboard. I checked the bottom of the board for anything
      > > > strange, but didn't see anything that looks out of wack.
      > > >
      > > > It almost seems like a fault in the location that takes the
      processor
      > > > output and keyboard input and converts it or decodes it to ASCII
      > > > characters for display on the video. If there is such a place, I'm
      > > > just guessing, I'm not good at the component level.
      > > >
      > > > At this point, would you start to replace solid-state
      components, like
      > > > resistors, capacitors and transistors? I'm not sure there is
      anything
      > > > else left! Unless it is one of the couple of smaller chips (one
      near
      > > > the video out, for example) that are soldered on the II+, but
      not on
      > > > the II, and I couldn't switch.
      > > >
      > > > Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Jim

      > > Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power

    • macmothership
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
        I'm going to try Herb's suggestion to see if it reads a disk, but I suspect it will. It seems to
        function. I just got a complete new ROM set I am going to try as well, although swapping
        with the II+ didn't change the symptoms.
        I've had a suggestion that the charactor ROM may be the problem. Is that the charactor
        generator that you mention? The large chip under the keyboard location?

        I did swap this with the II+ when doing the chip swap with no change in symptoms. The
        chip in the II looks weird, though. It is brown, has a clear circular window in the middle,
        and is marked with a large lower case letter i. But as I said swapping it didn't change
        anything.

        I know the Apple II isn't a REV 0 (It has the extra pin behind the video port) but other than
        that, I don't know any other details. I am using the B&W (green, actually) Apple tilting
        monitor

        Thanks!
        Jim

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "buseyl" <buseyl@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > various models.
        > > > I have sold two copies of this book on E-bay for up to $55.00. I
        > recently found this
        > > copy in a local thrift store and bought it. Considering the content
        > of this thread I would
        > > like to offer the following: I will give this book to MARCH as a
        > contribution to pay my initial
        > > financial offering (because I have no cash anymore). I would suggest
        > that MARCH make it
        > > available to members as needed, like a "lending Library" and
        > otherwise keep it displayed in
        > > the museum. It would save a lot of internet searching.
        > > > Given a p;ositive response from you, and a mailing address, I
        > could have it in your
        > > hands in about a week.
        > > > Ray
        > > >
        > > > Evan Koblentz <evan@> wrote:
        > > > I'd guess that someone on classiccmp must have it.

      • Bob Grieb
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
          Jim,

          If you go to www.1000bit.net, then to the manuals
          section, and select Apple, you can find a complete
          copy of the Apple ][ ref manual. Unfortunately, the
          scanning job is not great so the schematics are
          pretty much unusable, but it also has a description of
          how the video section works.

          I downloaded something called
          the Apple II mini manual, and on page 60 it has a
          complete schem of just the video circuit. This should
          help you to see how things are set up. A5 is the location
          on the circuit board of the char gen EPROM, a 2513 type.

          With a 'scope and this schem, you should be able to
          see what's not working.

          Bob Grieb

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • macmothership
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 2 1:53 PM
            Here is where we are. There is no change in the symptoms to this point.

            I have swapped every chip with an Apple II+ (except the two 555's which are soldered on
            the II+) with the Apple II. No change.

            I have buzzed out every pin on every chip to the solder point under the board for
            continuity. Every single chip pin was ok. (THAT was tedious!)

            I have checked all resistors to the proper value and they all check out.

            It does not try to access the disk drive on booting, like the II+.

            That is about it right now, I'm not sure what to try next. As I think I said before, it had a
            Videx Keyboard and Video Enhancer card installed, which I removed. I called Videx (Still in
            business!) and an old timer dug up a manual and photocopied it for me. He put it in the
            mail, and I should get it this week. I can check that to see what mods may have been done
            to the board, but it really looks like there weren't any.

            Is anyone familiar with this Videx board that may know?

            Any help would be appreciated, as always.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 2 2:29 PM
              Installed in my Apple ][+ I have a Videx expansion card and Videx
              controller in an IC slot.

              I think "1980" is printed on the card. To a connector on the expansion
              card there is a cable connected on the other end to a small Videx
              "expansion controller" board that had been fit into an open IC space near
              the game I/O circuitry.

              The computer itself has a RAM problem so I have not actually used it enough
              to figure out exactly what you get with the Videx card and controller. I
              assume it's for better graphics or gaming.

              As part of testing I removed the Videx cards and it made no difference to
              improve the RAM situation. It's still on the to-be-fixed table. I have
              to do what you did, check each chip, etc. I am in the middle of some other
              projects so I won't be able to get to this until next week.

              FYI - Here is what the screen looks like:

              @@@@@@
              @@@@@@
              etc.

              Bill D

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 2 4:53 PM
                Bill,
                Sounds like you may have the Enhancer II. Mine was just the single board that piggybacked
                on the mainboard under the keyboard.