How hard is is to find an original Apple II

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 29, 2006
      When I search Ebay I routinely look for the following items:

      Altair
      CBM
      IMSAI
      Sol
      Apple II
      Ploy 88
      s-100
      etc.

      ...to get an idea of the prices, interesting items, etc. I don't always
      bid, but I like to see what the market prices are. I also search for
      specific items as needed.

      I see a lot of Apple Plus's, but no original Apple II's. Anyone in this
      group even have one? I can say with confidence that they appear on Ebay
      less than PET's or TRS 80 Model 1's, even Altairs and IMSAI's. I thought
      that they made a lot of the Apple II's...where are they now? No one
      selling them? I find it hard to believe.

      Bill D
    • Bob Grieb
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 29, 2006
        If anyone has an Apple ][ manual, the schematic is
        included. So far I have not found a copy of it on the
        web.

        Bob A - Do you have an Apple II manual?

        Bob Grieb

        --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:

        > Last week I finilly aquired an original Apple II. I have had a II+
        > for some time, but just
        > never found an origiinal II for the right price. But this one has a
        > problem that I'm hoping
        > someone can help me with.
        >
        > • The computer turns on with a normal beep.
        > • The monitor lights up, but with a set of maybe 4 pixel wide bars a
        > pixel or so two apart vertically up the screen. In the lower left
        > there
        > is a blinking "cursor", which is actually a block of pixels the size
        > of a character in the second bar, that blinks like a cursor.
        > • The "cursor responds to keyboard input by moving to the right just
        > like it should, but no text.
        > The reset button functions normally, with a beep and a "return" of
        > the cursor on screen.
        > • "Control + G" rings the bell
        > • Typing "Load + Return" cycles through about 10 lines and goes back
        > to the blinking "cursor"
        >
        > Over the weekend, I switched out every chip that is socketed from the
        > Apple II+ to the apple II one section or row at a time. I did RAM,
        > ROMS, processor, everything. (that was a tedious job!)
        > Each and every time there was no change in the symptoms. Also, I
        > tried the II+ power supply and keyboard. I checked the bottom of the
        > board for anything strange, but didn't see anything that looks out of
        > wack.
        >
        > It almost seems like a fault in the location that takes the
        > processor output and keyboard input and converts it or decodes it to
        > ASCII characters for display on the video. If there is such a place,
        > I'm just guessing, I'm not good at the component level.
        >
        > At this point, would you start to replace solid-state components,
        > like resistors, capacitors and transistors? I'm not sure there is
        > anything else left! Unless it is one of the couple of smaller chips
        > (one near the video out, for example) that are soldered on the II+,
        > but not on the II, and I couldn't switch.
        >
        > Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jim

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 29, 2006
          Most of my collection of documentation was loaned to someone who never
          returned them.  I'll look around, but I don't think I've got an Apple schematic
          anywhere.

          Bob

          --- macmothership <macmothership@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Last week I finilly aquired an original Apple II. I have had a II+
          > for some time, but just
          > never found an origiinal II for the right price. But this one has a
          > problem that I'm hoping
          > someone can help me with.
          >
          > • The computer turns on with a normal beep.
          > • The monitor lights up, but with a set of maybe 4 pixel wide bars a
          > pixel or so two apart vertically up the screen. In the lower left
          > there
          > is a blinking "cursor", which is actually a block of pixels the size
          > of a character in the second bar, that blinks like a cursor.
          > • The "cursor responds to keyboard input by moving to the right just
          > like it should, but no text.
          > The reset button functions normally, with a beep and a "return" of
          > the cursor on screen.
          > • "Control + G" rings the bell
          > • Typing "Load + Return" cycles through about 10 lines and goes back
          > to the blinking "cursor"
          >
          > Over the weekend, I switched out every chip that is socketed from the
          > Apple II+ to the apple II one section or row at a time. I did RAM,
          > ROMS, processor, everything. (that was a tedious job!)
          > Each and every time there was no change in the symptoms. Also, I
          > tried the II+ power supply and keyboard. I checked the bottom of the
          > board for anything strange, but didn't see anything that looks out of
          > wack.
          >
          > It almost seems like a fault in the location that takes the
          > processor output and keyboard input and converts it or decodes it to
          > ASCII characters for display on the video. If there is such a place,
          > I'm just guessing, I'm not good at the component level.
          >
          > At this point, would you start to replace solid-state components,
          > like resistors, capacitors and transistors? I'm not sure there is
          > anything else left! Unless it is one of the couple of smaller chips
          > (one near the video out, for example) that are soldered on the II+,
          > but not on the II, and I couldn't switch.
          >
          > Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jim

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 29, 2006
            I'd guess that someone on classiccmp must have it. Perhaps someone like
            Hans Franke...?

            Or how about you, Tom Owad?

            Or just send an email to Sellam (sellam@...) .... He'll either
            have it or know who does.

            If anyone has an Apple ][ manual, the schematic is included. So far I have
            not found a copy of it on the web.

            Bob A - Do you have an Apple II manual?

            Bob Grieb

            --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:

            > Last week I finilly aquired an original Apple II. I have had a II+ for
            > some time, but just never found an origiinal II for the right price.
            > But this one has a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
            >
            > . The computer turns on with a normal beep.
            > . The monitor lights up, but with a set of maybe 4 pixel wide bars a
            > pixel or so two apart vertically up the screen. In the lower left
            > there is a blinking "cursor", which is actually a block of pixels the
            > size of a character in the second bar, that blinks like a cursor.
            > . The "cursor responds to keyboard input by moving to the right just
            > like it should, but no text.
            > The reset button functions normally, with a beep and a "return" of the
            > cursor on screen.
            > . "Control + G" rings the bell
            > . Typing "Load + Return" cycles through about 10 lines and goes back
            > to the blinking "cursor"
            >
            > Over the weekend, I switched out every chip that is socketed from the
            > Apple II+ to the apple II one section or row at a time. I did RAM,
            > ROMS, processor, everything. (that was a tedious job!) Each and every
            > time there was no change in the symptoms. Also, I tried the II+ power
            > supply and keyboard. I checked the bottom of the board for anything
            > strange, but didn't see anything that looks out of wack.
            >
            > It almost seems like a fault in the location that takes the processor
            > output and keyboard input and converts it or decodes it to ASCII
            > characters for display on the video. If there is such a place, I'm
            > just guessing, I'm not good at the component level.
            >
            > At this point, would you start to replace solid-state components, like
            > resistors, capacitors and transistors? I'm not sure there is anything
            > else left! Unless it is one of the couple of smaller chips (one near
            > the video out, for example) that are soldered on the II+, but not on
            > the II, and I couldn't switch.
            >
            > Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jim

          • BOYD BORRILL
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 29, 2006
              Hi Evan;
              I've been following this thread all day and would like to make an offer. I have a book published by SAMS, entitled "The Apple II Circuit Description" by Winston D. Gaylor.
              It is abut 2 inches thick, spiral bound and contains a complete set of circuit descriptions for every revision of the Apple II from the olriginal through the Apple II +. It includes timing diagrams, waveforms, keyboard differences and circuit/logic diagrams. It thorolughly covers circuit analysis and how to tell the differences by the numbers of the various models.
              I have sold two copies of this book on E-bay for up to $55.00. I recently found this copy in a local thrift store and bought it. Considering the content of this thread I would like to offer the following: I will give this book to MARCH as a contribution to pay my initial financial offering (because I have no cash anymore). I would suggest that MARCH make it available to members as needed, like a "lending Library" and otherwise keep it displayed in the museum. It would save a lot of internet searching.
              Given a p;ositive response from you, and a mailing address, I could have it in your hands in about a week.
              Ray

              Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
              I'd guess that someone on classiccmp must have it. Perhaps someone like
              Hans Franke...?

              Or how about you, Tom Owad?

              Or just send an email to Sellam (sellam@vintagetech. com) .... He'll either
              have it or know who does.

              If anyone has an Apple ][ manual, the schematic is included. So far I have
              not found a copy of it on the web.

              Bob A - Do you have an Apple II manual?

              Bob Grieb

              --- macmothership <macmothership@ yahoo.com> wrote:

              > Last week I finilly aquired an original Apple II. I have had a II+ for
              > some time, but just never found an origiinal II for the right price.
              > But this one has a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
              >
              > . The computer turns on with a normal beep.
              > . The monitor lights up, but with a set of maybe 4 pixel wide bars a
              > pixel or so two apart vertically up the screen. In the lower left
              > there is a blinking "cursor", which is actually a block of pixels the
              > size of a character in the second bar, that blinks like a cursor.
              > . The "cursor responds to keyboard input by moving to the right just
              > like it should, but no text.
              > The reset button functions normally, with a beep and a "return" of the
              > cursor on screen.
              > . "Control + G" rings the bell
              > . Typing "Load + Return" cycles through about 10 lines and goes back
              > to the blinking "cursor"
              >
              > Over the weekend, I switched out every chip that is socketed from the
              > Apple II+ to the apple II one section or row at a time. I did RAM,
              > ROMS, processor, everything. (that was a tedious job!) Each and every
              > time there was no change in the symptoms. Also, I tried the II+ power
              > supply and keyboard. I checked the bottom of the board for anything
              > strange, but didn't see anything that looks out of wack.
              >
              > It almost seems like a fault in the location that takes the processor
              > output and keyboard input and converts it or decodes it to ASCII
              > characters for display on the video. If there is such a place, I'm
              > just guessing, I'm not good at the component level.
              >
              > At this point, would you start to replace solid-state components, like
              > resistors, capacitors and transistors? I'm not sure there is anything
              > else left! Unless it is one of the couple of smaller chips (one near
              > the video out, for example) that are soldered on the II+, but not on
              > the II, and I couldn't switch.
              >
              > Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Jim

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power
            • macmothership
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 29, 2006
                I just want to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond. It really means
                alot to me, and when I eventually get this one working it will be quite a pleasure to display
                it at upcoming MARCH events. It took me a long time to find an Apple II and I had almost
                given up hope, so I had to jump on this one, even though it had problems. Cosmetically it
                is quite good. Thanks again for your help so far.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 29, 2006
                  Ray, thanks for the offer, but you really should look at http://tinyurl.com/nfwhk ... apparently that book is worth a LOT of money!!

                  Having said that, yes, we definitely intend to have a MARCH library, and we would gratefully accept the book.

                  Let's chat more about this off-list -- I'm evan@...

                  If anyone has an Apple ][ manual, the schematic is included. So far I have
                  not found a copy of it on the web.

                  Bob A - Do you have an Apple II manual?

                  Bob Grieb

                  --- macmothership <macmothership@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                  > Last week I finilly aquired an original Apple II. I have had a II+ for
                  > some time, but just never found an origiinal II for the right price.
                  > But this one has a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
                  >
                  > . The computer turns on with a normal beep.
                  > . The monitor lights up, but with a set of maybe 4 pixel wide bars a
                  > pixel or so two apart vertically up the screen. In the lower left
                  > there is a blinking "cursor", which is actually a block of pixels the
                  > size of a character in the second bar, that blinks like a cursor.
                  > . The "cursor responds to keyboard input by moving to the right just
                  > like it should, but no text.
                  > The reset button functions normally, with a beep and a "return" of the
                  > cursor on screen.
                  > . "Control + G" rings the bell
                  > . Typing "Load + Return" cycles through about 10 lines and goes back
                  > to the blinking "cursor"
                  >
                  > Over the weekend, I switched out every chip that is socketed from the
                  > Apple II+ to the apple II one section or row at a time. I did RAM,
                  > ROMS, processor, everything. (that was a tedious job!) Each and every
                  > time there was no change in the symptoms. Also, I tried the II+ power
                  > supply and keyboard. I checked the bottom of the board for anything
                  > strange, but didn't see anything that looks out of wack.
                  >
                  > It almost seems like a fault in the location that takes the processor
                  > output and keyboard input and converts it or decodes it to ASCII
                  > characters for display on the video. If there is such a place, I'm
                  > just guessing, I'm not good at the component level.
                  >
                  > At this point, would you start to replace solid-state components, like
                  > resistors, capacitors and transistors? I'm not sure there is anything
                  > else left! Unless it is one of the couple of smaller chips (one near
                  > the video out, for example) that are soldered on the II+, but not on
                  > the II, and I couldn't switch.
                  >
                  > Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Jim

                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  http://mail. yahoo.com

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Pioneer Purveyor of Personal Processing Power
                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 30, 2006
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "macmothership"
                    <macmothership@...> wrote:

                    > Last week I finilly aquired an original Apple II. I have had a II+
                    for some time, but just
                    > never found an origiinal II for the right price. But this one has a
                    problem that I'm hoping
                    > someone can help me with.

                    [snipped: description of odd video behavior, but computer responds to
                    some keyboard inputs]

                    1) See if you can get the Apple II to access a disk drive, in the
                    usual way. If it at least tries to load from disk (you can hear that,
                    whatever it displays on the screen), that suggests some video problem
                    rather than a problem between ROM, RAM and CPU chips.

                    2) VERY CAREFULLY INSPECT ALL CHIP SOCKETS. If you have any corrosion
                    at a pin, even swapping chips won't fix that problem. Given the age of
                    your computer this is possible. Also if this was used to swap chips a
                    lot, a socket could be worn.

                    Another diagnostic would be to wriggle chips UNDER POWER to see the
                    results. THIS COULD BE RISKY.

                    Of course I don't warrent any advice as safe, use the above
                    information at your own risk. I very rarely work on Apple II's.

                    Herb Johnson
                    (usual .sig not included today, check other messages from me)
                  • buseyl
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 30, 2006

                      > When I search Ebay I routinely look for the following items:
                      >
                      > Altair
                      > CBM
                      > IMSAI
                      > Sol
                      > Apple II
                      > Ploy 88
                      > s-100
                      > etc.
                      >
                      > ...to get an idea of the prices, interesting items, etc. I don't
                      always
                      > bid, but I like to see what the market prices are. I also search for
                      > specific items as needed.
                      >
                      > I see a lot of Apple Plus's, but no original Apple II's. Anyone in
                      this
                      > group even have one? I can say with confidence that they appear on
                      Ebay
                      > less than PET's or TRS 80 Model 1's, even Altairs and IMSAI's. I
                      thought
                      > that they made a lot of the Apple II's...where are they now? No one
                      > selling them? I find it hard to believe.
                      >
                      > Bill D

                      I have one. It's a late Rev 0 with original firmware and single piece
                      keyboard with raised button-like power light. I like mine but they're
                      really no different than a ][+. The Apple ][ and ][+ were sold
                      concurrently for a while. They used the same motherboard (which ever
                      revision was current at the time) and the only diffence was the
                      firmaware and the label on the lid. Find that hard to believe? Check
                      page 27 of the Apple ][ Reference Manual.

                      A lot more of the ][+ variety of Apple were sold than the original. It
                      is my understanding that Apples didn't become super popular until the
                      Disk ][ was introduced. It was only a couple month after that the ][+
                      arrived.

                      A lot of software would only run on the ][+ that didn't really need
                      to. The original monitor on the ][ would allow you to break out of a
                      program and take a peek at all the code. There was even a rudimentary
                      debugger on board. These features were removed from the ][+'s
                      autostart monitor. It is for this reason that some people used to call
                      the ][+ the ][-. ;)

                      I don't know why you don't see more of the plain ][ models. I imagine
                      10's of thousands were made. Perhaps they were all thrown out? All the
                      Apples I've ever seen have been completely socketed. While a great
                      idea in theory, ~30 years later it leads to twitchy operation. As
                      early ][ owner's are likely 'early adopter's', perhaps they just
                      chucked at some point when they has become obsolete but before they
                      became collectible.

                      Liam
                    • buseyl
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 30, 2006
                        You should check out 1000Bit. In the manual section they have the
                        Apple ][ Reference manual and a whole lot more (other comps too)! The
                        best book for a thurough understanding of how the Apple II works is
                        "Understanding the Apple II" which is also available. It's extremely
                        popular with the crowd on CSA2.

                        www.1000bit.net

                        Liam Busey

                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote:

                        > If anyone has an Apple ][ manual, the schematic is
                        > included. So far I have not found a copy of it on the
                        > web.
                        >
                        > Bob A - Do you have an Apple II manual?
                        >
                        > Bob Grieb
                        >
                        > --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Last week I finilly aquired an original Apple II. I have had a II+
                        > > for some time, but just
                        > > never found an origiinal II for the right price. But this one has a
                        > > problem that I'm hoping
                        > > someone can help me with.
                        > >
                        > > • The computer turns on with a normal beep.
                        > > • The monitor lights up, but with a set of maybe 4 pixel wide bars a
                        > > pixel or so two apart vertically up the screen. In the lower left
                        > > there
                        > > is a blinking "cursor", which is actually a block of pixels the size
                        > > of a character in the second bar, that blinks like a cursor.
                        > > • The "cursor responds to keyboard input by moving to the right just
                        > > like it should, but no text.
                        > > The reset button functions normally, with a beep and a "return" of
                        > > the cursor on screen.
                        > > • "Control + G" rings the bell
                        > > • Typing "Load + Return" cycles through about 10 lines and goes back
                        > > to the blinking "cursor"
                        > >
                        > > Over the weekend, I switched out every chip that is socketed from the
                        > > Apple II+ to the apple II one section or row at a time. I did RAM,
                        > > ROMS, processor, everything. (that was a tedious job!)
                        > > Each and every time there was no change in the symptoms. Also, I
                        > > tried the II+ power supply and keyboard. I checked the bottom of the
                        > > board for anything strange, but didn't see anything that looks out of
                        > > wack.
                        > >
                        > > It almost seems like a fault in the location that takes the
                        > > processor output and keyboard input and converts it or decodes it to
                        > > ASCII characters for display on the video. If there is such a place,
                        > > I'm just guessing, I'm not good at the component level.
                        > >
                        > > At this point, would you start to replace solid-state components,
                        > > like resistors, capacitors and transistors? I'm not sure there is
                        > > anything else left! Unless it is one of the couple of smaller chips
                        > > (one near the video out, for example) that are soldered on the II+,
                        > > but not on the II, and I couldn't switch.
                        > >
                        > > Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Jim

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • buseyl
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 30, 2006
                          Hi Jim, I just read about your Apple troubles (I get the digest). It's
                          kind of late tonight but maybe I can help. I have an Apple ][ rev 0
                          and an Apple ][+ rev RFI D. All revisions of the Apple and Apple ][+
                          are very similar but there are differences so you should be careful
                          about swapping parts. For instance, the character generator in IIRC
                          rev 7 Apples on up was changed to be pin compatible with a 2716 EPROM
                          to allow for custom character sets. If you swap incompatible character
                          generators something could get cooked. Do you know what revs your ][
                          and ][+ motherboards are? Do you know firmware does your Apple has
                          (autostart or old monitor, integer or Applesoft BASIC)?

                          Good news. You get video, can move the cursor with the keyboard, and
                          get the machine to beep with ctrl-G so your Apple mostly works. I
                          wonder. Are you using a color monitor with your ][? Is the garbage
                          color (lores) or mono (text)? I'd be curious to see if hires is
                          working. The Applevision demo on the DOS 3.3 System Master disk would
                          probably give you a good idea but that may be hard to type in blind.

                          There're a lot of knowledgeable people here. I think the prognosis for
                          your Apple is good.

                          Liam

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
                            I'm going to try Herb's suggestion to see if it reads a disk, but I suspect it will. It seems to
                            function. I just got a complete new ROM set I am going to try as well, although swapping
                            with the II+ didn't change the symptoms.
                            I've had a suggestion that the charactor ROM may be the problem. Is that the charactor
                            generator that you mention? The large chip under the keyboard location?

                            I did swap this with the II+ when doing the chip swap with no change in symptoms. The
                            chip in the II looks weird, though. It is brown, has a clear circular window in the middle,
                            and is marked with a large lower case letter i. But as I said swapping it didn't change
                            anything.

                            I know the Apple II isn't a REV 0 (It has the extra pin behind the video port) but other than
                            that, I don't know any other details. I am using the B&W (green, actually) Apple tilting
                            monitor

                            Thanks!
                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 31, 2006
                              Jim,

                              If you go to www.1000bit.net, then to the manuals
                              section, and select Apple, you can find a complete
                              copy of the Apple ][ ref manual. Unfortunately, the
                              scanning job is not great so the schematics are
                              pretty much unusable, but it also has a description of
                              how the video section works.

                              I downloaded something called
                              the Apple II mini manual, and on page 60 it has a
                              complete schem of just the video circuit. This should
                              help you to see how things are set up. A5 is the location
                              on the circuit board of the char gen EPROM, a 2513 type.

                              With a 'scope and this schem, you should be able to
                              see what's not working.

                              === message truncated ===

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • macmothership
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
                                Here is where we are. There is no change in the symptoms to this point.

                                I have swapped every chip with an Apple II+ (except the two 555's which are soldered on
                                the II+) with the Apple II. No change.

                                I have buzzed out every pin on every chip to the solder point under the board for
                                continuity. Every single chip pin was ok. (THAT was tedious!)

                                I have checked all resistors to the proper value and they all check out.

                                It does not try to access the disk drive on booting, like the II+.

                                That is about it right now, I'm not sure what to try next. As I think I said before, it had a
                                Videx Keyboard and Video Enhancer card installed, which I removed. I called Videx (Still in
                                business!) and an old timer dug up a manual and photocopied it for me. He put it in the
                                mail, and I should get it this week. I can check that to see what mods may have been done
                                to the board, but it really looks like there weren't any.

                                Is anyone familiar with this Videx board that may know?

                                Any help would be appreciated, as always.

                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
                                  Installed in my Apple ][+ I have a Videx expansion card and Videx
                                  controller in an IC slot.

                                  I think "1980" is printed on the card. To a connector on the expansion
                                  card there is a cable connected on the other end to a small Videx
                                  "expansion controller" board that had been fit into an open IC space near
                                  the game I/O circuitry.

                                  The computer itself has a RAM problem so I have not actually used it enough
                                  to figure out exactly what you get with the Videx card and controller. I
                                  assume it's for better graphics or gaming.

                                  As part of testing I removed the Videx cards and it made no difference to
                                  improve the RAM situation. It's still on the to-be-fixed table. I have
                                  to do what you did, check each chip, etc. I am in the middle of some other
                                  projects so I won't be able to get to this until next week.

                                  FYI - Here is what the screen looks like:

                                  @@@@@@
                                  @@@@@@
                                  etc.

                                  Bill D

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
                                    Bill,
                                    Sounds like you may have the Enhancer II. Mine was just the single board that piggybacked
                                    on the mainboard under the keyboard.