Star Trek 40th anniversary event -- update

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 23, 2006
      Only a little bit to report .... I just heard back from the guy who runs the
      event company, and he said he'd really busy on the road now and will reply
      to us late next week.

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
        Here's another update. I heard back from the show organizer today. At
        first he said no and that we'd have to pay for a spot among the dealers. So
        I sent him an impassioned reply, emphasizing that we're NOT a dealer --
        anything but -- and that a kick-ass exhibit like our would help his show
        MAKE money, not cost him money. That seemed to resonate. :) He said he'll
        reconsider and will reply to me within another week or so. He also asked
        exactly how much we'd need.

        So, I want to get him a really solid answer.

        We'd participate on Sat., Nov. 11. The location is a nice hotel in
        Secaucus, NJ (right off the Turnpike near Giants Stadium.) Who is available
        that day and exactly which vintage computers running which Star Trek games
        would you demonstrate? Obviously this is a very timely request, so please
        reply ASAP. I'd like to see a huge variety of systems and game versions.

        Also, can anyone do Star Trek on an Altair and/or PDP-11? That would really
        illustrate our hobby vs. just having microcomputers. No boring PC emulators
        allowed!

        - Evan

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
          I can't go, I will be on vacation...but I have a lot of Star Trek
          software for 6502 platform computers (Apple II, Commodore Pet) if
          anyone wants a copy on tape. I also have Star Trek programs for
          TI 99/4a, Commodore 64, probably Atari 400/800. Let me know privately.

          Bill

          At Wednesday, 6 September 2006, you wrote:

          >Here's another update. I heard back from the show organizer today. At
          >first he said no and that we'd have to pay for a spot among the
          dealers. So
          >I sent him an impassioned reply, emphasizing that we're NOT a dealer --
          >anything but -- and that a kick-ass exhibit like our would help
          his show
          >MAKE money, not cost him money. That seemed to resonate. :) He
          said he'll
          >reconsider and will reply to me within another week or so. He also
          asked
          >exactly how much we'd need.
          >
          >So, I want to get him a really solid answer.
          >
          >We'd participate on Sat., Nov. 11. The location is a nice hotel in
          >Secaucus, NJ (right off the Turnpike near Giants Stadium.) Who
          is available
          >that day and exactly which vintage computers running which Star
          Trek games
          >would you demonstrate? Obviously this is a very timely request,
          so please
          >reply ASAP. I'd like to see a huge variety of systems and game
          versions.

          >Also, can anyone do Star Trek on an Altair and/or PDP-11? That
          would really
          >illustrate our hobby vs. just having microcomputers. No boring
          PC emulators
          >allowed!
          >
          >- Evan

          -- E N D --
        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7, 2006
            I could be there with a couple of tandy's and eatrly pc's running different versions.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > Here's another update. I heard back from the show organizer today. At
              > first he said no and that we'd have to pay for a spot among the dealers. So
              > I sent him an impassioned reply, emphasizing that we're NOT a dealer --
              > anything but -- and that a kick-ass exhibit like our would help his show
              > MAKE money, not cost him money. That seemed to resonate. :) He said he'll
              > reconsider and will reply to me within another week or so. He also asked
              > exactly how much we'd need.
              >
              > So, I want to get him a really solid answer.
              >
              > We'd participate on Sat., Nov. 11. The location is a nice hotel in
              > Secaucus, NJ (right off the Turnpike near Giants Stadium.) Who is available
              > that day and exactly which vintage computers running which Star Trek games
              > would you demonstrate? Obviously this is a very timely request, so please
              > reply ASAP. I'd like to see a huge variety of systems and game versions.
              >
              > Also, can anyone do Star Trek on an Altair and/or PDP-11? That would really
              > illustrate our hobby vs. just having microcomputers. No boring PC emulators
              > allowed!
              >
              > - Evan

              I know you think I'm nuts, but there is a bit of a tie between OS/2 and
              Star Trek. Most of the Beta versions released after IBM split with
              Microsoft had Star Trek related names; OS/2 2.1 was Borg, OS/2 2.1 for
              Windows (The version which allowed you to use an already installed Windows
              3.1) was Ferengi, and the beta for 3.0 was Warp which IBM actually used for
              the release name, but then Paramount threatened to sue, so IBM changed the
              meaning to be warped as in strange rather than speed. And for the 1995
              release of OS/2 Warp 3.0, IBM hired both Lenard Nimoy and Kate Mulgrew to
              be present at the official product announcement. Somewhere I have a video
              of that event. It was very nerdy.

              Mark

              --

              From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

              http://www.warpstock.org

              http://www.os2voice.org

              Investigation, 1938
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                Yes, you're quite insane, which is why you fit in well here!

                Maybe we can find some other examples like this. The person who can help us
                is Digibarn's Bruce Damer. If the show organziers come through for us then
                I'll ping Bruce.

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                  Even if we can't get some kind of Star Trek to run on an Altair, the
                  connection of Star Trek and Altair is obvious enough to warrant bringing
                  one of these along for a demonstration of the blinky lights, which kind of
                  look star-treky.
                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                    There's also the story about how MITS got the name "Altair" from a Star Trek
                    planetary reference -- but I've read that the story may or may not be true.

                    Even if we can't get some kind of Star Trek to run on an Altair, the
                    connection of Star Trek and Altair is obvious enough to warrant bringing one
                    of these along for a demonstration of the blinky lights, which kind of look
                    star-treky.
                    Bill

                    At 09:03 PM 9/11/2006 -0400, you wrote:
                    >Yes, you're quite insane, which is why you fit in well here!
                    >
                    >Maybe we can find some other examples like this. The person who can
                    >help us is Digibarn's Bruce Damer. If the show organziers come through
                    >for us then I'll ping Bruce.

                    >Star Trek. Most of the Beta versions released after IBM split with
                    >Microsoft had Star Trek related names; OS/2 2.1 was Borg, OS/2 2.1 for
                    >Windows (The version which allowed you to use an already installed
                    >Windows
                    >3.1) was Ferengi, and the beta for 3.0 was Warp which IBM actually used
                    >for the release name, but then Paramount threatened to sue, so IBM
                    >changed the meaning to be warped as in strange rather than speed. And
                    >for the 1995 release of OS/2 Warp 3.0, IBM hired both Lenard Nimoy and
                    >Kate Mulgrew to be present at the official product announcement.
                    >Somewhere I have a video of that event. It was very nerdy.
                    >
                    >Mark

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • blueringice
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                      My sons played the Processor Technology Trek-80 on an Altair
                      equipped with a PT VDM board. I have a copy of the manual and binary
                      which I downloaded from Jim Battles Sol site.

                      Nick Lordi

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 11, 2006
                        that's what I was referring to.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 12, 2006
                          >>that the story may or may not be true

                          This would be a true statement about ANY story.

                          Jim  <chuckling>

                          There's also the story about how MITS got the name "Altair" from a Star Trek
                          planetary reference -- but I've read that the story may or may not be true.

                          Even if we can't get some kind of Star Trek to run on an Altair, the
                          connection of Star Trek and Altair is obvious enough to warrant bringing one
                          of these along for a demonstration of the blinky lights, which kind of look
                          star-treky.
                          Bill

                          At 09:03 PM 9/11/2006 -0400, you wrote:

                          >Yes, you're quite insane, which is why you fit in well here!
                          >
                          >Maybe we can find some other examples like this. The person who can
                          >help us is Digibarn's Bruce Damer. If the show organziers come through
                          >for us then I'll ping Bruce.

                          >Star Trek. Most of the Beta versions released after IBM split with
                          >Microsoft had Star Trek related names; OS/2 2.1 was Borg, OS/2 2.1 for
                          >Windows (The version which allowed you to use an already installed
                          >Windows
                          >3.1) was Ferengi, and the beta for 3.0 was Warp which IBM actually used
                          >for the release name, but then Paramount threatened to sue, so IBM
                          >changed the meaning to be warped as in strange rather than speed. And
                          >for the 1995 release of OS/2 Warp 3.0, IBM hired both Lenard Nimoy and
                          >Kate Mulgrew to be present at the official product announcement.
                          >Somewhere I have a video of that event. It was very nerdy.
                          >
                          >Mark

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Herb Johnson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 13, 2006

                            Vill Degnan wrote:

                            > that's what I was referring to.

                            This is an old question. I've researched on the Web, which has reports
                            from first and second-hand sources. See my notes and links at this link:

                            http://retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/s_origins.html

                            But the upshot is that the MITS Altair 8800 was most likely named
                            based on a reference to "Altair" from a Star Trek episode. WHO named
                            it varies from report to report. The predominant explanation is it was
                            a young daughter of Les Solomon, the editor of Popular Electronics
                            where the computer was offered as a kit). Others say it was named by
                            the daughter of Ed Roberts (designer of the Altair and MITS founder),
                            or named by one of the other Pop 'Tronics staff.

                            Here's a link to an Ed Roberts interview:

                            http://www.virtualaltair.com/virtualaltair.com/mits0011.asp

                            Oddly enough, while the interviewer's posted article describes Les
                            Solomon's daughter and Star Trek as the source, his dialog with
                            Roberts in the article does not show that Roberts confirms this.

                            The name "Altair" was already in technical and popular culture in the
                            era. Orginally it is the name of a star. But "Altair" was also the
                            daughter of the scientist in the Disney movie "Forbidden Planet" in
                            the late 60's; then it became the name of a planet visited in a Star
                            Trek episode. That Star Trek episode: "Amok Time", episode 34 -
                            original airdate: 9/16/1967.

                            Herb Johnson
                            look for my signature line elsewhere
                            too busy to add it today