RE: [midatlanticretro] Very OT: Anyone selling a cheap car in the NJ/NJ/PA area?

  • Greg N Shari
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 21, 2006
      Joe,

      You should check out www.craigslist.com They always have stuff in that range.

      Good Luck,
      Greg

      -----Original Message-----
      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
      Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 5:43 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Very OT: Anyone selling a cheap car in the NJ/NJ/PA area?

      Looking for something that I can use as my first car. Just looking for a sedan, hatchback, convertible, coupe, or station wagon. Doesn't need to be a chick magnet. Needs ABS and would like at least a driver airbag. I really don't have more than $1000 to spend. I also have items available for trade, such as a brand new PC, 2 pinball machines (both need some work), Vintage Computer Equipment, and some Stereo Equipment. So if you, or someone you know is selling a cheap car.

      It has removed 4244 spam emails to date.
      Try SPAMfighter for free now!
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21, 2006
        Right you are!  Joe: here's a direct link to the south Jersey page with all vehicles under $1,000: http://tinyurl.com/ee2ps ... LOL, when I was 16, my uncle * gave * me his '79 Caprice Classic rather than * pay * a junkyard to haul it away.  My friends in high school promptly named it the "S.S. Evan"... it was two-tone (white and rust)... mostly rust.  But sometimes it actually ran and gas was a buck a gallon, so who cared?  It was freedom!

        Looking for something that I can use as my first car. Just looking for a sedan, hatchback, convertible, coupe, or station wagon. Doesn't need to be a chick magnet. Needs ABS and would like at least a driver airbag. I really don't have more than $1000 to spend. I also have items available for trade, such as a brand new PC, 2 pinball machines (both need some work), Vintage Computer Equipment, and some Stereo Equipment. So if you, or someone you know is selling a cheap car.

        It has removed 4244 spam emails to date.
        Try SPAMfighter for free now!
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 21, 2006
          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > Right you are! Joe: here's a direct link to the south Jersey page with
          > all vehicles under $1,000: http://tinyurl.com/ee2ps ... LOL, when I was
          > 16, my uncle * gave * me his '79 Caprice Classic rather than * pay * a
          > junkyard to haul it away. My friends in high school promptly named it
          > the "S.S. Evan"... it was two-tone (white and rust)... mostly rust. But
          > sometimes it actually ran and gas was a buck a gallon, so who cared? It
          > was freedom!

          My first car was a '68 Buick Electra Estate. My second was an '83 Buick
          Century. I was well known for driving land yachts. The Century had so
          much rust it was held together with bumper stickers and decals. 8-)

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 21, 2006
            Might have found something thanks to the link to south Jersey Craigslist. A 1998 Ford Taurus that needs a new starter for $600. I'm not a fan of domestics, but its my first car. Whatever's cheapest wins.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2006
              Joe,

              Don't ever buy a car that doesn't run! (except for a Ferrari, Maseratti, Bugatti or Deusenberg) Have a mechanic that you (or your parents) know check the car over *before* you agree on a price. A "bad starter" can hide other problems, like maybe it really needs a new ring gear which means removing the transmission to fix. Caveat Emptor!

              Jim

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2006
                Just got my little baby home. A 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo. Paid $2500, and needs some work. Most notably, has an overvoltage problem, and needs the control unit for the anti-lock brake system. Badly needs front rotors and brake pads. I figure after $1000 put in she will be as good as new.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2006
                  Congrats Joe.  Junkyards are your friends for finding parts.  Many even have online searchable databases.