Star Trek 40th Anniv - Sep.8th - Any collection of Vintage Star Trek Games ?

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 18, 2006
      I've read about the upcoming anniversary of Star Trek 40th and wondered
      if there was a repository of any vintage Star Trek games that I used to
      see in the 70's (there' weren't that many it seems). I recall one of the
      early games (ascii style)at the moment that ran on the Ohio Scientific
      or the SOL while visiting a Computer show in NYC back then. The 80's
      spawned a whole collection among the various machines.

      =Dan

      --
      .----------------------------------------------------------------.
      [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 18, 2006
        I have old PET (will run on any 6502 system) Star Trek stuff. I also look
        for old Star Trek game system carts if I can find them.

        Might be an interesting VCF or similar-type exhibit...early Star Trek games
        running on their original systems. Is there an upcoming convention in the
        MidAtlantic? Maybe we could do a booth.

        Slightly off topic...Speaking of OSI ... I was reading last night about how
        to convert BASIC code from PET to OSI.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 18, 2006
          http://www.ecgxpo.com/

          Would have been cool at HOPE. :(

          I have old PET (will run on any 6502 system) Star Trek stuff. I also look
          for old Star Trek game system carts if I can find them.

          Might be an interesting VCF or similar-type exhibit...early Star Trek games
          running on their original systems. Is there an upcoming convention in the
          MidAtlantic? Maybe we could do a booth.

          Slightly off topic...Speaking of OSI ... I was reading last night about how
          to convert BASIC code from PET to OSI.

          Bill

          At 08:50 AM 8/18/2006 -0400, you wrote:

          >I've read about the upcoming anniversary of Star Trek 40th and wondered
          >if there was a repository of any vintage Star Trek games that I used to
          >see in the 70's (there' weren't that many it seems). I recall one of
          >the early games (ascii style)at the moment that ran on the Ohio
          >Scientific or the SOL while visiting a Computer show in NYC back then.
          >The 80's spawned a whole collection among the various machines.
          >
          >=Dan

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 18, 2006
            Dan wrote:
            > I've read about the upcoming anniversary of Star Trek 40th and wondered
            > if there was a repository of any vintage Star Trek games that I used to
            > see in the 70's (there' weren't that many it seems). I recall one of the
            > early games (ascii style)at the moment that ran on the Ohio Scientific
            > or the SOL while visiting a Computer show in NYC back then. The 80's
            > spawned a whole collection among the various machines.
            >
            > =Dan

            I have the Sol version for my Sol (available on Jim Battle's web site)
            and the Aardvark version for the OSI C1P. They are both the fairly
            standard resource management games, so many sectors, so many star bases
            so many Klingons, etc. The OSI version uses some of the special characters
            that the C1P could display... there were four characters specifically
            for Star Trek: Enterprise facing left (front and back) and facing right
            (front and back). Each character was an 8x8 pixel matrix and they looked
            something like: (view with non-proportional font)

            ******* **
            * *******
            * ***
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 18, 2006
              B. Degnan wrote:

              > I have old PET (will run on any 6502 system) Star Trek stuff. I also look
              > for old Star Trek game system carts if I can find them.
              >
              > Might be an interesting VCF or similar-type exhibit...early Star Trek
              games
              > running on their original systems. Is there an upcoming convention in the
              > MidAtlantic? Maybe we could do a booth.

              That might be fun.

              > Slightly off topic...Speaking of OSI ... I was reading last night about
              how
              > to convert BASIC code from PET to OSI.

              Cool. Book or magazine article?
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 18, 2006
                6502 Micro Journal issue #11. 1979. I have issues 7-12, they all make at
                least some reference or comparison of OSI vs. Apple or OSI vs. PET, etc.
                Bill

                > > Slightly off topic...Speaking of OSI ... I was reading last night about
                >how
                > > to convert BASIC code from PET to OSI.
                >
                >Cool. Book or magazine article?
              • ysgdhio
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 19, 2006
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:
                  > I've read about the upcoming anniversary of Star Trek 40th and wondered
                  > if there was a repository of any vintage Star Trek games that I used to
                  > see in the 70's

                  This was posted on classiccmp a while ago:
                  http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/startrek/

                  I should find the version we used to play in the mid-Seventies.
                  It was written by a friend of mine for BASIC on the DECsystem-10.
                  But it should also run, for example, in MBASIC on CP/M.

                  Cheers,
                  Andy
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 19, 2006
                    There's gonna be a convention featuring William Shatner, Avery Brooks, and Kate Mulgrew in the Meadowlands in November. Call the people at Creation Entertainment if you want to do something. I'm going.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 19, 2006
                      Joe, thanks for the tip!  I'll check it out to see if MARCH can do an exhibit of Star Trek video/computer games through the years.

                      There's gonna be a convention featuring William Shatner, Avery Brooks, and Kate Mulgrew in the Meadowlands in November. Call the people at Creation Entertainment if you want to do something. I'm going.

                      On 8/18/06, B. Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                      I have old PET (will run on any 6502 system) Star Trek stuff. I also look
                      for old Star Trek game system carts if I can find them.

                      Might be an interesting VCF or similar-type exhibit...early Star Trek games
                      running on their original systems. Is there an upcoming convention in the
                      MidAtlantic? Maybe we could do a booth.

                      Slightly off topic...Speaking of OSI ... I was reading last night about how
                      to convert BASIC code from PET to OSI.

                      Bill

                      At 08:50 AM 8/18/2006 -0400, you wrote:

                      >I've read about the upcoming anniversary of Star Trek 40th and wondered
                      >if there was a repository of any vintage Star Trek games that I used to
                      >see in the 70's (there' weren't that many it seems). I recall one of the
                      >early games (ascii style)at the moment that ran on the Ohio Scientific
                      >or the SOL while visiting a Computer show in NYC back then. The 80's
                      >spawned a whole collection among the various machines.
                      >
                      >=Dan

                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 20, 2006
                        Hey, that website mentions the game was ported to the SOL 20. Thats the
                        one I recall seeing back then. I'll have to get my Sol 20 out and have
                        some fun with that. I just dug out my Vectrex , I have the Star Trek
                        vector game for that one .

                        =Dan

                        .----------------------------------------------------------------.
                        [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                        [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                        [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]
                        .----------------------------------------------------------------.

                        ysgdhio wrote:

                        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Dan <ragooman@...> wrote:
                        > > I've read about the upcoming anniversary of Star Trek 40th and wondered
                        > > if there was a repository of any vintage Star Trek games that I used to
                        > > see in the 70's
                        >
                        > This was posted on classiccmp a while ago:
                        > http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/startrek/
                        > <http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/startrek/>
                        >
                        > I should find the version we used to play in the mid-Seventies.
                        > It was written by a friend of mine for BASIC on the DECsystem-10.
                        > But it should also run, for example, in MBASIC on CP/M.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Andy

                      • Dan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 20, 2006
                          thanks for the help guys, it's good to bring back memories like this.
                          =Dan

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 20, 2006
                            Bill and all,

                            My first computer game was Hunt the Wumpus on the National CSS time-sharing service back in 1976. I was working on a system implementation and was spending thousands of dollars a week in computer time. Once in a while I would take a break but I was afraid someone might look at the activity reports and find that I was playing games. National CSS was a VM/CMS-based system running on an IBM-compatible Amdahl mainframe.

                            Later after I had moved into a real systems job, we had a couple of games on the mainframes. Trek was on MVS-TSO and the Adventure on VM/CMS. I'm quite sure this was an exact port of the classic Adventure as I was given a map to this game and it was identical to maps I saw later for Adventure on the IBM PC. I always assumed that Adventure started on VM/CMS!

                            I have a collection of early PC games and a Trek implementation is among them. Unfortunately they are carefully "archived" to a tape that I can no longer read. They might also be on a 10M Bernoulli drive (remember those?).

                            Jim

                            > I have old PET (will run on any 6502 system) Star Trek stuff. I also look
                            > for old Star Trek game system carts if I can find them.
                            >
                            > Might be an interesting VCF or similar-type exhibit...early Star Trek
                            games
                            > running on their original systems. Is there an upcoming convention in the
                            > MidAtlantic? Maybe we could do a booth.

                            That might be fun.

                            > Slightly off topic...Speaking of OSI ... I was reading last night about
                            how
                            > to convert BASIC code from PET to OSI.

                            Cool. Book or magazine article?

                          • Kelly Leavitt
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 21, 2006
                              I can get at least 3 different star treks running on a TRS-80 model 4, 4p, 3, and a I (if I can get the drives to cooperate). There are around 60 different versions for the TRS-80 line.

                              Keep me posted.

                              Kelly
                            • Jeffrey Frady
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 6 3:01 PM
                                All I got is a box of Star Trek toys.  Some unopened.  They were umm... my mom's.