RE: [midatlanticretro] Rescue: 2 Altair 8800's !

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 2006
      Nice, good job Bill!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: B Degnan [mailto:billdeg@...]
      Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2006 11:36 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Rescue: 2 Altair 8800's !

      Today I got a call about 2 Altair computers. I am going to pick them up
      Weds. I offered and he accepted a fair price. They are the original 8800's
      in nice shape from a college physics department.
      The cards inside seem to be your standard fare, the pics did not reveal
      every detail, but enough to get the idea.

      They were going to be thrown away, but this guy found them and took them
      home. Plus drives and manuals, etc. What luck, eh? Almost too good to be
      true, but the pictures are real.

      It pays to post on message boards, that's how the guy found me.

      Bill D

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 13, 2006

        All I can say is WOW. This is quite a find Bill.

        Kelly
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 13, 2006

          > Today I got a call about 2 Altair computers. I am going to pick
          > them up Weds. ...
          > It pays to post on message boards, that's how the guy found me.
          >
          > Bill D

          Congrats! Let me know what you got at some point, maybe I can add some
          docs to my archives (via photocopies). Or you may need some of my docs.

          By the way, er, what message boards DO you post on...?

          Herb Johnson
          usual .sig available elsewhere
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 13, 2006
            Herb,

            At present I have the original user manual for the 8800b, including a promo
            poster (I forget who is on it though). I also have a lot of 8800bt stuff,
            maybe a the Altair disk drive manual too. I don't believe I have anything
            that is not found in many other places. I'll send a complete inventory of
            all my Altair docs including the new stuff to the group asap, and post on
            our club inventory site. I have to poke around a little.

            To answer your other question....I am a frequent poster to
            vintage-computer.com/vcforums/ (Eric Kline's board), and I also post from
            time to time on the Altair Yahoo group, the CBM hackers (cbm-hackers),
            comp.sys.cbm, alt.folklore.computers, comp.sys.tandy, comp.sys.apple,
            old-computers.com, I have a little blog of my own on vintagecomputer.net,
            and so on. Depends what project I am working on at the time.

            Bill D

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 13, 2006
              >>> Eric Kline's board

              "Klein" also works. :)

              But more important: the key to Bill's frequent successful finds is his
              persistence. Sure, we all post on classiccmp, but that represents mostly
              insiders. There are scores of accumulators/collectors who never heard of
              classiccmp, and when they Google for vintage computer sites, they go to the
              first places they find. Or at least that's my vaguely substantiated
              theory...

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 14, 2006
                exactly. I also run from time to time an ad for many weeks in the
                local shopper paper.
                bd