IBM 4956 Series I Minicomputer (plus free items available)

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      Hello.
      This weekend I took a Ford cargo van to Virginia to pick up an IBM
      4956 Series I Minicomputer from Mr. Roy Soltoff. I received a tip
      from MARCH's own Kelly Levitt. The system included three harddrives
      (weighing about 150 pounds each), a control unit, tape drive, 8" disk
      drive. The computer system is housed in twin 6' cabinets. It's a 16-
      bit system. I am guessing that this particular unit was originally
      installed around ~1979-81. The overall condition is good. I read
      that this system was a contemporary of the PDP 11. I must be crazy to
      have taken this, but ....

      Roy and I disassembled the IBM system piece by piece and hauled each
      component separately into his lawn tractor's trailer. We then took
      the items up to the driveway to load into the van. It took 4 hours.

      Also included were all the manuals, disks, literature, etc. that came
      with the Series I.

      In addition to the IBM, Roy had a lot of interesting stories to tell
      about when he was involved with Tandy computers during the TRS 80
      era. His company was called Microsys (mike-ross-iss) and he furnished
      custom systems and software for the Tandy era. Roy was an (or the)
      author of the TRS 80 Model IV operating system. In fact he had a
      prototype TRS 80 Model IV computer, without the FCC label and serial
      number. It has an all-white keyboard.

      Roy is cleaning house. In addition to the IBM Series I, Roy allowed
      me to take whatever else I wanted from his large stash of PC's and
      components. I took what I could fit in the van in the space
      remaining. My favorite items were the TRS 80 Model IV prototype,
      Tandy Model 12, and a Lobo MAX 80 computer. I also took few other
      systems and a lot of useful cables, manuals, parts, 8" disks, drives,
      and software.

      But there's more there, especially for IBM/PC collectors!

      If anyone is in the VA area, Roy has the following items to give away:
      1) Leading Edge PC (I accidentally took the manuals, call me to
      retreive)
      2) Eagle PC w/ twin 5 1/4" and external 5mb Percom harddrive
      3) Tandy PC (it's a 286, can't remember the exact model, TA?)
      4) Tandy 1000 (a nice one, but I can't remember the model, not an SX)
      5) *Tons* of peripheral control cards for TRS and PC systems
      6) TRS 80 model I monitor clone, a nice Magnavox monitor
      7) manuals and software on 5 1/4" and 8"
      8) intersting mystery stuff in various boxes, cables, jacks, etc.

      You would need a van to fit it all if you took everything. Let me
      know if you're interested and I will get you in touch with Roy. There
      is enough for more than one person.

      Back to the IBM...I have re-assembled it, now I have to figure out how
      to use it. I know TSO, which I guess will be the user interface
      system, but if you're in the Delaware area, feel free to stop by to
      kick the tires and lend a hand. I would like to donate this computer
      to a museum after I clean it and test it. This might be a fine
      addition to the technology museum in NJ. Perhaps someone needs a 14"
      150 40MB harddrive? ha ha

      Bill
      vintagecomputer.net
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        Bill, that's a great story!  Thanks for sharing.

        I might print the 4956 parts in this week's issue of Computer Collector Newsletter.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005

          Bill,

           Was the "Leading Edge PC" a model D or model M? Was it kind of compact, or on the larger side, about the size of an vanilla PC/AT, with a plain bezel?

          Any Tandy 2000 puters or stuff? I'd like to talk to this guy if possible. Thanks.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • billdeg
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2005
            The Leading Edge was a larger sized, like an vanilla PC/AT.

            I am not sure about the Tandy, except that it's a 286.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...>

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2005
              Evan,
              I will post pictures and a more detailed inventory asap.
              Bill

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:
              > Bill, that's a great story! Thanks for sharing.
              >
              > I might print the 4956 parts in this week's issue of Computer
              Collector
              > Newsletter.
              >
              > _____

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              Service
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • Michael Nadeau
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2005
                Nice haul. Roy was a big wheel in the TRS-80 world; he did develop one of the better TRS-80, NewDOS.