Re: [midatlanticretro] swap meet item cutoff

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 3 5:38 PM
      I hope that I could interject a comment here, but only to express a
      thought, not to prolong the thread.
      Something that seems to be missing here is the distinction between
      consumer and commercial/industrial systems.
      PC's are obviously consumer products while systems such as SUN's,
      Sequent's are commercial(and others are industrial).
      The commercial/industrial machines were always a couple generations
      ahead in technology back then.
      Nowadays, the distinction is beginning to blur, but I think the pricing
      difference still keeps it in focus.
      The term vintage seems to blur the age difference between consumer
      products and commercial/industrial machines.
      Any machine that is outdated doesn't easily qualify it as being
      vintage(or classic).
      You can have vintage consumer products and vintage industrial systems,
      all being computers, but starting from a different year.
      I think the qualifying factor for being vintage in any breed of
      computers is more of a logarithmic scale than linear in terms of years.
      It can be difficult to have one specific cutoff to cover all categories
      of systems.

      just my 2cents,
      =Dan

      .----------------------------------------------------------------.
      [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
      [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
      [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]
      .----------------------------------------------------------------.

      Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > Okay, okay, I'll grant machines like the Sequent, given the minicomputer
      > aspects you noted. Justified as "last-of-breed"...
      >
      > But I'm drawing the line at PCs newer than 286 (and I'm including 286 only
      > because there's a gun to me head.)

    • Dan
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 4 12:55 PM
        I use to play Wumpus back in High School in the 70's on a Honeywell 1646
        minicomputer.
        Teletype and all (could never find what happened to that machine)
        whadda flashback that is

        =Dan