Re: [midatlanticretro] Everyone -- please reply to this email

  • Christian R. Fandt
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      Upon the date 06:03 PM 7/31/2006, Evan Koblentz said something like:
      >A simple query ... regarding the Boston trip, have I grossly misjudged what
      >MARCHins are interested in doing, activity-wise?
      >
      >We've got 100+ people on this list, only two people beside me want to go,
      >and only a handful of others declined for various personal / scheduling
      >reasons. So what about the other 90-ish people...?

      Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining *any*
      MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
      hours drive away from Jamestown. A days' drive each way eliminates my
      attendance because of work, stuff needed to do around the house/family, etc.

      >A big-picture plea ... it's very hard to run a group if the constituents
      >rarely speak up about what they want from the group ... I like to think I
      >understand my fellow vintage computer nerds, but who really knows? So, let
      >this email stand as the catalyst for a brainstorming thread please!

      I do indeed enjoy some of the discussions and reports on activities that
      MARCH and fellow members have undertaken. Please keep it up.

      >In addition to our museum work, VCF, and the swapmeet, what else should
      >MARCH do for fun? Or do most people think that's enough; is this all we
      >want from the group?

      Boy, I wish I was close to the museum. I could pitch in occasionally and
      I've got several items I'd like to donate, perhaps including an IBM 9370/65
      (I ne-e-e-e-d space!).

      >I crave your feedback.

      Heck, I *crave* being close to a bigger city which has neat things and
      groups like MARCH.

      My main interest is history of electrical/electronic communication. I've
      been very active in the AWA (see URL below) for about 30 years now, plus
      being an officer in same over the past several years. But, the nearest
      major radio activities are 90 and 150 miles distant. As some of you might
      know, several in the NJARC (sp.?) are AWA members along with being Radio
      Amateurs.

      However, I've quietly amassed an eclectic bunch of classic computing
      machines over time.

      -Chris F.

      NNNN

      Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
      Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
      Member of Antique Wireless Association
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
        >>> Well, in my case, distance is the thing that prevents me from joining
        *any* MARCH activity. The activities planned and presented are around 7 to 9
        hours drive away from Jamestown.

        You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
          > You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?

          They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.

          I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
          completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
          of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
          computers come from.

          --
          Will
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
            William Donzelli wrote:
            >> You guys have indoor plumbing and paved roads up there?
            >
            > They even have electricity, inlike parts of Queens.
            >
            > I think that MARCH should probably have several local chapters - even
            > completely informal - where the "locals" could meet and do stuff. One
            > of these days one will form around Poughkeepsie, NY, where real
            > computers come from.

            Damn straight!

            Peace... Sridhar
          • rkushnier
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
              Sorry,

              Boston's too far for me to travel. One or two hours by car from
              Philly is about all I can do.

              Ron Kushnier
            • Dan
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
                I like the idea of Local Chapters
                Although, there's only probably only 2 of us out here that are
                considered 'active' on our list.
                I guess Pittsburgh is not exactly considered "Mid-Atlantic", more like
                "Far-Atlantic"
                Sort of like a remote outpost.
                It's about a 6hr drive, depending how fast you race over the mountains.
                Long Island was alot closer when I lived there years ago.

                =Dan

                [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
                [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
                [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]