Re: October 7th Wilm. Delaware Swap Meet Info Update

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 1, 2006
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

      > 1989 is the advertised cutoff date. Bring your old stuff, hopefully
      you can
      > get a good price for it.
      > Bill D

      I'm going to add some discussion from my end, to shed a bit more light
      about my thoughts. I don't expect to change the date this time, but
      discussion may affect the cuttoff date or planning for another such event.

      I was surprised by the 1989 cutoff, because in prior discussion a "ten
      year cutoff" was mentioned, which would have been 1996. That
      eliminates any Pentium computers for instance, which is a good thing.
      But the mid-1990's INCLUDES some reasonably neat old desktop computers
      from SGI, Sun, DEC and so forth. These are now in surplus AND most
      diehard collectors of those systems have them already - that keeps the
      price lower than it was several years ago.

      I have a small station wagon. So I can't just bring a lot of stuff and
      hope some will sell, or that a lot will sell really cheap. I have to
      be thoughtful about what to bring in the hopes that most of it will
      not come back. The event was discussed to be mostly, if not entirely,
      a sales event - not a show and tell event - so I'm not being
      excessively mercenary, I think.

      So I have a stack of SGI Indy computers that I could offer for maybe
      $10-$20 each because there are few inquiries about them today. But
      they were built in the early 1990's and so I can't bring them. OTOH I
      have some HP 87 desktops, they were offered in 1982 so they make the
      cut, but probably at a few hundred dollars each (?). I have some Apple
      II type items, but they go for zero or a few tens of dollars - not
      worth the space they'd take up in my car.

      Almost none of my Macintosh stuff will pass the "1989" test; just some
      compact Macs like the Plus and older. Not even the Color Classic makes
      the cut, it's from 1993.

      And what about old S-100 stuff? will anyone there be interested in a
      big box with some boards in it, if it does not say "IMSAI" or "MITS"?
      I can bring a working Northstar Horizon (an S-100 system) but again
      it's a $200 or more proposition; and would a NorthStar Advantage (not
      S-100, looks like a terminal) sell for a similar price or just look
      funny on my table?

      I'm reluctant to lay out this discussion, because I'm sure someone
      will look at my comments and say "dealer" and then make spitting
      sounds. But if this event is actually intended to let folks bring a
      few odd bits from their collection and to swap them around while
      chatting or playing games - and there is nothing wrong with that -
      then I want to know ASAP. I'll choose a few things to bring, not care
      if they sell, and fit right in.

      But if people attending hope to buy stuff, I want some clues about
      their interests. If it's all strictly about the mass produced machines
      of the 1980's - Commodores, Atari, Tandy, Apple and so forth - then I
      don't have much to offer. If there is no interest in old iron from the
      classic computer companies, or no interest in now-obscure computers of
      the 1970's and early 80's, then I won't fill my car with them and
      drive them to Deleware.

      No insult meant by any of this. Bill is a good fellow, it's his event
      and he can do it as he chooses. I just want some clues from MARCH
      members who hope to attend.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • Dan
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 4, 2006
        I use to play Wumpus back in High School in the 70's on a Honeywell 1646
        minicomputer.
        Teletype and all (could never find what happened to that machine)
        whadda flashback that is

        =Dan

        [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
        [Pittsburgh Robotics Society http://www.pghrobotics.org/ ]
        [Pgh Vintage Comp.Society groups.yahoo.com/group/pghvintagecomp/ ]